45 suggestions...

Schu

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I am considering a 45/2A3 Amplifier that is DIRECT COUPLED... does anyone have any suggestions for a manufacturer? Mono's preferred.

thanks

https://www.transcendentsound.com/   I bet he will accommodate you if you tell him what you want . His transformers are considered some of the best. 

Scratch that. He use to sell a completed amplifier but now it seems he only sells kits. May want to talk to him though. For a price he may build one for you. 

???  Really?  Were you thinking of the Transcendar guy (was it Gary?  Forgot).  Seems weird that Bruce, the OTL guy, would be the spot for transformers but my info might be incomplete.  

Misc knee-jerk thoughts:

Alan Eaton makes 45 amps people (including a friend of mine) rave about, but I don't know if he does direct-coupled. 

Don Garber at Fi in NYC, if that's still extant.  If not, someone has gotta be building those (maybe Ming would copy one). 

Esp in LV, seems worth calling Jack Elliano talking to him.  https://www.electra-print.com/contact.php

Dennis Fraker in MT (serious stereo) makes some, too, but they're quite steep.

Shouldn't be hard to drum-up more builders if none of those work for you. 

5 minutes ago, grindstone said:

???  Really?  Were you thinking of the Transcendar guy (was it Gary?  Forgot).  Seems weird that Bruce, the OTL guy, would be the spot for transformers but I might have it

Not sure. Talked to the guy that wound transformer years ago but back then he was selling OPT's and completed amplifiers. Looking at the website of the guy you are talking about and the guy I mentioned above the symbol on the amps look really similar. 

https://www.davidsaudio.com/html/transcendent.html

https://www.transcendentsound.com/products-.html

What do you think. Different guy?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Schu said:

I am considering a 45/2A3 Amplifier that is DIRECT COUPLED... does anyone have any suggestions for a manufacturer? Mono's preferred.

thanks

I believe this is the guy I was thinking of when I first read this thread. Electra-Print Audio. He has a couple of DRD amplifier designs on his site. He also builds and sell what he calls the 45 Silver Stereo Amp for $2900. Not DRD but I bet he will build a DRD 2A3 or DRD 45 amp as well. He is known for winding some of the best transformers one can buy. https://www.electra-print.com/45silver.php

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:53 AM, Schu said:

thanks

Smart move.

Any low powered amplifier I make, mostly single ended amps especially single ended triode amps I always go direct coupled to the output stage. You'll have a much cleaner sound with no bias excursions and blocking distortion often encountered in low powered tube amplifiers. As a bonus being able to drive grid current you'll get higher output powers also.

As to who builds them? Not many that I come across so I don't have much to offer in regard to referring you to a specific model of amplifier.

Shakey's amp I am making him is DC coupled. If you haven't found anyone after I complete his amp we can talk about making you an amplifier. I love the 45 tube, it was my favorite power triode of the popular types like 2A3 and 300b, it provided the best sound but many choose 2A3/300b due to higher output power but they don't touch the 45 in quality. The only tube I have found to sound better than a 45 is the 4P1L, it swept me off my feet so I swapped over from my critical listening amp running 45's to running the 4P1L and haven't looked back. The 45 glass bottle is more attractive compared to the 4P1L which I know many have made the decision on looks alone but if you are out for just sonic bliss the 4P1L is hard to beat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, seti said:

Min of Tube Audio Labs does great work and does custom orders. He builds budget or elaborate. I like his style.

https://www.tubeaudiolab.com/portfolio

I suppose if you stick to cloning a known simple no feedback circuit he will do fine but he admits he has zero electrical engineering background and his portfolio is all clones of circuits.

This worries me in a few ways, firstly if the amplifier has feedback you can't just copy the compensation networks and expect fantastic results unless you copy the EXACT layout/chassis and EXACT  same parts and transformers used. For example anytime I clone a Mullard 5-20 type circuit I have ended up with very different lead/lag compensation network values. Output transformers will have the biggest impact on this and the layout will also change parasitic properties.

If you have a simple, zero feedback design that you want him to clone I'm sure he'll do fine, as he states in his website that pretty much anybody can clone circuits and build tube amplifiers that have already been designed from an engineer.

Just a note of caution. Personally I wouldn't want a food biologist fixing my car or making me an amplifier as it's not their area of expertise, it's just a hobby to him.

I also looked through his portfolio and gut shot images of soldering and layout and he doesn't seem to follow any guidelines. For example he has a large coupling capacitor where he extended the leads of the cap to reach where he needed to go. On any build I have looked at I can see many bad decisions made which are all rookie mistakes. That's fine if you are building yourself an amplifier but if you are shipping amps across the country you should at the very least take some time to study MIL Spec soldering requirements for different component types to learn how to build a rugged piece of equipment. For what he is doing (cloning) that will improve his amps significantly. It would also help if he did take some electrical engineering courses to not just clone but improve upon older designs and make certain the amp is as good as can be.

I don't see any specs or measurements. I guess just another fly by the seat of his pants clone builder selling amps that know nothing about electronics. Sorry it just irks me. Any hack that jumps into something head first with zero background knowledge just doesn't sit well with me. I suppose many of the builds he is making are very simple zero feedback old designs.

Min builds lots of Western Electric circuits, many the 91A model which due to such low open loop bandwidth (starts to roll-off at 10kHz) uses some positive feedback to increase the high frequency response. In almost all cases I have seen this circuit produce instability and needs to be fine tuned for any sort of decent performance and stability.

There are lots of guys that copy these old WE circuits, some do a fantastic job because they thoroughly understand the circuit and can make changes to or slight adjustments to values for optimal and stable performance. Many of these circuits, although look simple can be tricky to implement and build properly.

21 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

Shakey's amp I am making him is DC coupled. If you haven't found anyone after I complete his amp we can talk about making you an amplifier.

Really? 7 months and counting on Shakey's amp now, isn't westcoast still waiting on his amp after that? 

28 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Really? 7 months and counting on Shakey's amp now, isn't westcoast still waiting on his amp after that? 

I'm not cloning a simple circuit pal where I just need to build the amp.  I design the circuit from the ground up which I know you have zero experience with so you may want to just zip it.

Now that the circuit has been worked out I can skip the entire design stage which takes the longest time, all that is needed it so build the amp and send it. I don't care what people do, I'm just offering if Shakey gives a good review of the amp and others are interested I'll make them one. Sorry for being nice.

There was an interest in high powered single ended tube amplifiers that perform very well, much better than others being sold for $6,000 like Bigger Ben. I take great care and pride in designing something that will perform well and have no interest just pumping out garbage amps that only look nice just to make a profit. If you have no patience and want an amp immediately go on Music Direct. If you want a custom amp from me just start a conversation. I also had some health set backs but that has been more on the building side of things. I also have a day job and don't do this full time for money, it's just a passion of mine.

I know more about circuits in my pinky finger compared to most of the hacks selling amps out there. If you want a quick hack job go for it, if you want something special that will last the rest of your life I'm right here.

17 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

if Shakey gives a good review of the amp and others are interested I'll make them one.

I think a lot of us here are waiting for that review and I'm sure it will be great-- it's just a little tough to watch you offer your services when so far you've yet to deliver after 7 months. At this point I think buyer beware is appropriate until proven otherwise sorry just my take on it. 

• Like 1