WTB KLF C7 Or Trade RC7

Hamilton

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Haha, thought you were crazy as I have dual RC-7's used as L/R TV speakers. But, it seems others agree with you. See ... 

Ya I definitely think the RC7 is an incredible speaker but the tone difference in the horn across the fronts is huge.  It isn't horrifically noticeable as generally voice doesn't move from center to the sides.

• Like 2

The RC7 is one of the best reference speakers ever to me. I sold ,at one time, all my reference speakers, but could not part with the RC7, I bought another. I used the RC7 with 20's and 30's. But if your ears tell you different that's all that matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish said:

The RC7 is one of the best reference speakers ever to me. I sold ,at one time, all my reference speakers, but could not part with the RC7, I bought another. I used the RC7 with 20's and 30's. But if your ears tell you different that's all that matters.

With the crossovers and titanium tweeters on the KLF 20s they are considerably more lively where I find now the RC7 is almost muddled by comparison.  I know if I had RF5s or RF7s they would be stock and pair up perfectly.

1 hour ago, Hamilton said:

With the crossovers and titanium tweeters on the KLF 20s they are considerably more lively where I find now the RC7 is almost muddled by comparison...

Hmm...Could something be wrong with the RC-7? Of course you may have a situation where you notice the tonal difference but when I ran the RC-7 between KLF-20s it definitely didn't sound "muddled."  Fwiw, it actually has a larger Compression Driver mated to the horn which I thought made it sound cleaner than the KLF-C7.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Hmm...Could something be wrong with the RC-7? Of course you may have a situation where you notice the tonal difference but when I ran the RC-7 between KLF-20s it definitely didn't sound "muddled."  Fwiw, it actually has a larger Compression Driver mated to the horn which I thought made it sound cleaner than the KLF-C7.

Well it sounds just fine playing actual movies/media however when doing the receiver test tones there is a pretty big difference.  I have SS1s for atmos speakers and they have the dullest tone then the RC7.  My KG 5.5 and KLF20s sound almost identical they both have crites tweeters so figured that was the major factor.  Wondering what could be wrong with the RC7 then it doesn't crackle or anything like that.

29 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Well it sounds just fine playing actual movies/media however when doing the receiver test tones there is a pretty big difference.  I have SS1s for atmos speakers and they have the dullest tone then the RC7.  My KG 5.5 and KLF20s sound almost identical they both have crites tweeters so figured that was the major factor.  Wondering what could be wrong with the RC7 then it doesn't crackle or anything like that.

Dunno. The biggest tonal difference would be between your SS-1s and everything else and not between the rc-7s and KLF-20s, I would think. Not knowing which AVR you have, possibly Audyssey (or other EQ program) addresses any possible mismatch you're hearing on test tones. Anyway, good luck in troubleshooting and if it sounds fine with material you may already be good to go. 

• Like 1

Do you have non factory xover in 20's, as that changes everything? Just curious as I have never heard the RC7 described as muddled. Mine is as clear and powerful as any Ref speaker, certainly way more than a 20 or 30.

53 minutes ago, Fish said:

Do you have non factory xover in 20's, as that changes everything? Just curious as I have never heard the RC7 described as muddled. Mine is as clear and powerful as any Ref speaker, certainly way more than a 20 or 30.

This may be a serious dumbass moment for myself...

I've always run my theater with a projector so the center is just square on the floor.  Over the years I have upgraded and changed almost every single speaker but with the RC7 it has fuller frequency range so male voices were the main issue.  

I'm now going to experiment with angling the center towards the listener and possibly make a small platform to even elevate it.  Honestly never thought this was a problem but with the wider range of these KLF-20's it was noticeable.  Anyways, going to move stuff around a bit see how it goes for improvement.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamilton said:

I'm now going to experiment with angling the center towards the listener and possibly make a small platform to even elevate it.  

Dunno how it's positioned now, but DEFINITELY do this. It was designed to set up on top of ab RPTV with back feet to tilt towards th MLP. If it's lower than your KLF-20s and not angled upward towards your LP I can see where you would have a problem...If it's sitting on the floor, that would be a major culprit. 

EDIT: I skimmed you post and missed this "I've always run my theater with a projector so the center is just square on the floor." 😮 See above.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Dunno how it's positioned now, but DEFINITELY do this. It was designed to set up on top of ab RPTV with back feet to tilt towards th MLP. If it's lower than your KLF-20s and not angled upward towards your LP I can see where you would have a problem...If it's sitting on the floor, that would be a major culprit. 

EDIT: I skimmed you post and missed this "I've always run my theater with a projector so the center is just square on the floor." 😮 See above.

I've had this RC7 for maybe 2 years or so and I think it really is highlighting how bad it is.  I had an RC3 for a long time before and set the cutoff at 80hz so those deeper voices weren't getting so much data.  The tweaking continues! 

Fwiw, I've had the RC-3 and currently own the KLF-C7 and RC-7. I don't wish to belabor the point but if it's sitting on the floor there's your culprit.  If you've followed my advice above and it didn't  help then you have a faulty RC-7, imo. Good luck with your troubleshooting and hope you get what you want (although you said "Well it sounds just fine playing actual movies/media").

• Like 1

If you can physically accommodate it, you should consider a Heresy II or higher for a center.  I used a Heresy II center with my KLF-30 mains for years.  (The only reason that I don't anymore is that the system was replaced with a Palladium system.)  I find the 3-way Heresy to be a better sonic match for 3-way Legend series than even the KLF-C7.

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

If you can physically accommodate it, you should consider a Heresy II or higher for a center.  I used a Heresy II center with my KLF-30 mains for years.  (The only reason that I don't anymore is that the system was replaced with a Palladium system.)  I find the 3-way Heresy to be a better sonic match for 3-way Legend series than even the KLF-C7.

I like the idea of doing so but I have a 144" screen which is the entire wall and the cause of my poor placement currently.  There is a guy on the east coast that disassembled a KLF-20 speaker and built a custom horizontal cabinet for it actually pretty cool stuff.