Low budget Heresy H700 restoration.

gigantic

finally, for today, I did an preliminary pass of filler for the staple holes, gouges, scratches dings and chips, then applied sanding sealer and grain filler. Tomorrow, they'll get a coat of primer and another pass of spot putty to fill any dings still visible after priming. 

TI239RC.jpg

A6tE780.jpg

0zwAIwO.jpg

0DAYfta.jpg

• Like 4

back to the crossovers:
nchTRpm.jpg

it's my understanding that the Type C crossovers were matched to the K-22 & K-22-E speakers, which were 16 Ohm. My recollection of these speakers is that they sounded clear, but they also sounded quite dull, with very little bass. I realize that low-end thump isn't the strong point of these speakers, but given the 8ohm woofers, would it make sense to change the capacitor values to Type E?

16 minutes ago, gigantic said:

back to the crossovers:
nchTRpm.jpg

it's my understanding that the Type C crossovers were matched to the K-22 & K-22-E speakers, which were 16 Ohm. My recollection of these speakers is that they sounded clear, but they also sounded quite dull, with very little bass. I realize that low-end thump isn't the strong point of these speakers, but given the 8ohm woofers, would it make sense to change the capacitor values to Type E?

what s the size of these cabinets H  D  W ?

2 minutes ago, OO1 said:

ok , so fullsize heresy

yep. The H700 Heresies are Heresy 1, with a 700Hz type C crossover. Typically, they had 16Ω K-22 or K-22E woofers, although this seems to have changed later in the run, to 8Ω K-22-K & K-22-R woofers, along with a change to the type E network at some point with the H1.

1 minute ago, gigantic said:

yep. The H700 Heresies are Heresy 1, with a 700Hz type C crossover. Typically, they had 16Ω K-22 or K-22E woofers, although this seems to have changed later in the run, to 8Ω K-22-K & K-22-R woofers, along with a change to the type E network at some point with the H1.

yeah , the   60's H  series were not a deep 

photo 600000 heresy009 9422343603 o 989x1465 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, gigantic said:

back to the crossovers:
nchTRpm.jpg

so this keeps getting misdirected: My late build H700s are indistinguishable from H1 speakers, which have 8 ohm Alnico K-22-K woofers, except for the Type C network, which was configured around 16 ohm K-22 & K-22-E woofers. While I will most certainly test them with the OEM network, I'm going to assume that the original OIP capacitors have decayed and are no longer in original spec. Given that replacing the caps with modern construction resistors of equal value wouldn't be the same as the original network and that this specific configuration of tweeter, squawker and woofer were ultimately updated by PWK to the Type E with the flipped polarity for the mid and tweeter, would it be best for the performance of the speaker, used in a 2 channel system, as well as the primary drivers in a 7.1 surround system, to use the type E network and upgrade the capacitors and inductors to that spec?

*I have no interest in selling/flipping them and I would posit that the "improvements" that I've made to the cabinets, while aesthetically better than they were before I began and arguably better than new, have nullified any resale value these might have had, which given their condition, was negligible, except for parts.

Edited by gigantic
clarity
  • Like 1