Low budget Heresy H700 restoration.

gigantic

Listening setup: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon run through a Denon AVR-04 in two channel, as my Onkyo TX-SR674 is offline. I’m supplementing with a Mirage FRX-S8 Subwoofer. My gear is old, but apart from the speakers, not old enough to be cool… 

fn6KrwN.jpg

Lieutenant Dan the Tripawd Cat approves. 

mwoivZG.jpg

Edited by gigantic
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, gigantic said:

Original. While I could recap them to original spec, I’m most likely going to skip straight to a Type E network. 

Hopefully the new caps will smooth them out and find some additional low end.  The mid and high both get 3db louder in the E.

Just wait till you hear yours with Claude's super heresy mods.  I'd given up on mine for years and had them stacked in the corner of the garage until I got curious a couple months ago and ported them with Dayton woofers.  Completely different personality.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, winglet said:

Hopefully the new caps will smooth them out and find some additional low end.  The mid and high both get 3db louder in the E.

Just wait till you hear yours with Claude's super heresy mods.  I'd given up on mine for years and had them stacked in the corner of the garage until I got curious a couple months ago and ported them with Dayton woofers.  Completely different personality.    

Right now, the mids sound kinda harsh, which I hope is just the old caps and my tinnitus acting up as I recover from  COVID from last week. 

Edited by gigantic

6 minutes ago, gigantic said:

Right now, the mids sound kinda harsh, which I hope is just the old caps and my tinnitus acting up as I recover from  COVID from last week. 

Did you check/replace the gasket between the k55 and horn?  They can dry out and crack.   Haven't done mine yet, but they have been recapped.  To my ears the mids do still have an edge to them, which I enjoy.  Probably a big part of why I prefer my original Forte vs the Forte II.

I converted a pair of Type A networks

8HyfgtW.jpg

To Type E: 

Z3f9lxv.jpg

right away, the mids are warmer, less sibilant. Overall, the speakers sound less harsh, and much warmer. It’s a definite improvement! 

for giggles, I put the 3/4” ported backs on the cabinets, with the K-22-K woofers still installed. A-B-ing between the stock speaker, the ported one seems louder, with more presence in the midrange and just a hair more bass. I wish I had the analytics kit to measure my perceptions, but it definitely seems like an improvement. 
b5m8lsx.jpg

when I make the final version out of Baltic birch, I’ll move the port slightly inward. Next step is to install these: $200 for the pair, one is in an unopened box!

thzJdgW.jpg

After. Couple hours listening with the ported H1’s, I’d say that the mids are quite pronounced. Perhaps too pronounced. I may put the eminence delta pro 12’s in tomorrow morning and see how they play with the E networks. I expect that the B network may be the thing to tame the mids, but we’ll see when the delta pros go in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gigantic said:

After. Couple hours listening with the ported H1’s, I’d say that the mids are quite pronounced. Perhaps too pronounced. I may put the eminence delta pro 12’s in tomorrow morning and see how they play with the E networks. I expect that the B network may be the thing to tame the mids, but we’ll see when the delta pros go in. 

You are on the right path, weed hopper! LOL. Your progress is interesting and unique.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You are on the right path, weed hopper! LOL. Your progress is interesting and unique.

I must say, the journey is a joyous one for me. Continuous improvement is not the only aspect of Automotive quality, it's the sound too! I confess to having KG4's in my car about 4 decades ago! So it's not just the home.

17 hours ago, gigantic said:

Once you get the correct woofer in there that is designed for a ported enclosure, you can adjust the mid/tweeter to best match the woofer level and your listening habits. The woofer is your reference. 

• Like 2