Low budget Heresy H700 restoration.

gigantic

2 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Once you get the correct woofer in there that is designed for a ported enclosure, you can adjust the mid/tweeter to best match the woofer level and your listening habits. The woofer is your reference. 

Correct. First things first.

58 minutes ago, gigantic said:

And here we go. I’m only putting these in temporarily with 4 screws because I’d rather not put more holes in these 51 year-old cabinets. I have something else in mind. 😁

Until you put the port in, you will experience superior midrange but thin bass. Let us know. Many are likely watching this evolve with great curiosity. Placed within about a foot from wall/floor or corner intersection, you will get max bass response. Move forward and back to taste aferwards.

Ok, with the delta pro woofers, insulation, upgraded network and port, these speakers are everything I wanted, but didn’t get when I pulled them from the dumpster on my jobsite, 16 years ago. I powered up my receiver and turned the subwoofer off, played a few tracks and my partner immediately remarked that they sounded better. She was shocked when I told her that the subwoofer wasn’t on. I did have to turn up the bass on the tone controls from flat to get the sound I wanted, but it’s only up 2dB out of 6 on the receiver. Acoustic music sounds especially good, as does electronica, instrumental hip hop and post-rock. 
vinyl sounds particularly good, although the mids seem slightly scooped, but that could also be the mix or the mastering. 

Here is the schematic and a picture of the autoformer. It looks like you have the midrange on Tap 4 when it should be on Tap 2. If so, you are running the mids 6dB too hot. I can’t tell what you have the tweeter on, but it should be on Tap 3. 

4556451D-F211-464C-BFC2-94C633618F36.jpeg

D7772F87-4E7F-44A3-8727-C5402EFDA525.jpeg

15 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Ah YES. Since he started with an A network, Sure! Great info Deano!

Also, since you saved over $100 on the woofers, you should put that money towards the Super Tweeters as a very important finishing touch to "complete the mod," as it were..............

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Also, since you saved over $100 on the woofers, you should put that money towards the Super Tweeters as a very important finishing touch to "complete the mod," as it were..............

That will happen in due time. Give me a few weeks; once I sell a few spares, I’ll get them ordered. 😁

3 hours ago, gigantic said:

I'm realizing that as these woofers break in and start to come into their own, that I should probably change my subwoofer crossover frequency. I previously had it set around 80Hz; @ClaudeJ1, based on your graphs, what would you recommend for a revised x-over setting with the Eminence Delta Pro 12a?

Somewhere between 40-60 Hz. Highpass. Let your ears, room, and bass tests be the judge. I gave you some wiggle room.

• Thanks 1

I rearranged my living room yesterday, to better optimize the listening field. 
2HOr39M.jpg

i have to say, as these Delta Pro woofers break in, they’re sounding better and better, the subwoofer is barely needed, although one could make an argument that it’s not needed at all. 

17 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Great use of plywood. Perfectly cut.

I wish I could take credit for it. While it’s absolutely in the realm of my skill set, for the price of what this aftermarket vendor charges, it wasn’t worth my effort. Figuring my hourly rate as a carpenter, I’d likely head into the red just making the templates. I feel like I’ve saved money, buying them; well, not really, but I’ve saved time, which is rather valuable to me. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gigantic said:

i have to say, as these Delta Pro woofers break in, they’re sounding better and better, the subwoofer is barely needed, although one could make an argument that it’s not needed at all. 

My JBL L100 killers (another name for my non-stock Heresy I classics or HIP's) sound awesome after the changes. If I had to give up all my speakers, I'd keep these and a powered sub. 

• Like 2