Low budget Heresy H700 restoration.

gigantic

16 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

My JBL L100 killers (another name for my non-stock Heresy I classics or HIP's) sound awesome after the changes. If I had to give up all my speakers, I'd keep these and a powered sub. 

You are not alone with this conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

After some comparison with the leading aftermarket tweeter, which was really remarkable, I've decided to return these to stock and use the super heresy bits in another project, which won't be detailed here. The 51 year old tweeters sounded a little fizzy compared to Dave A's finest, I was frequently checking my turntable stylus to see if it has accumulated lint. This leads me to believe that the diaphragms are in need of replacement- which ones are best? I've seen differing comments and it's difficult to parse it all out.

• Like 1

I did ALL of the available mods on my La Scalas. After three years, I just wanted to hear what they used to sound like, and was really surprised when I found out I liked it! The K-77 adds character. Not a thing wrong with it unless you like to listen at earbleed levels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deang said:

I did ALL of the available mods on my La Scalas. After three years, I just wanted to hear what they used to sound like, and was really surprised when I found out I liked it! The K-77 adds character. Not a thing wrong with it unless you like to listen at earbleed levels.

I really like the mods that I’ve done on them, but I feel like they deserve their own cabinets as they’re only Klipsch in spirit; I’d like to make these H700‘s as close to stock as possible as a counterpoint and the tweeters are bugging me. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, deang said:

. . . The K-77 adds character . . .

i agree -- the alnico magnet on the k-77 tweeter is quite nice.  i think it unfairly gets a bad rap.  and like you, i've compared it to more modern alternatives!

• Like 1