Crossover Capacitors and Crossovers In General

28 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Right now I'm building a set of Universals for @No.4Another set of Universals before that, and before that, two sets of RF-7's. It's been a quiet summer, which is really not that unusual.

The "universal" is a great design. In my opinion it adresses the issues and limitations properly of the drivers and the complexity of it is not invasive. In addition, leave out the Zener diodes and add the light bulb trick and you're good. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Right now I'm building a set of Universals for @No.4Another set of Universals before that, and before that, two sets of RF-7's. It's been a quiet summer, which is really not that unusual.

And what brand of capacitors are you using?

This set is being built with Jantzen Z-cap Standard.

7 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

The "universal" is a great design. In my opinion it addresses the issues and limitations properly of the drivers and the complexity of it is not invasive. In addition, leave out the Zener diodes and add the light bulb trick and you're good. 

I reserve it for those who build custom cabinets and/or have different horn/driver choices. 

I don't add tweeter protection. Haven't for years.

6 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

This set is being built with Jantzen Z-cap Standard.

I reserve it for those who build custom cabinets and/or have different horn/driver choices. 

I don't add tweeter protection. Haven't for years.

Being a (Jantzen) metalized polypropylene cap, do you think they sound different enough than another quality brand of the same type of cap for the price delta? 

1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

I've been in contact with several people who have recapped with the Tecate polyesters from JEM. They like them. No complaints. So, I think it's more than possible that better film quality and construction may make this metalized capacitor a better sounding part than it used to be. Lead attachments too, which used to be pressed in using a conductive paste, are now spot welded after an end spray is applied. 

I very much feel like it's just easier to just use the part Klipsch recommends at this point. 

I recapped some AAs with the JEM caps and have had them in my lascalas for months now.  They displaced a pair of Super X.  Honestly, they sound great.  I just received another kit from JEM for my cornwalls.  I'm about to open them and remove the DeanG universals with Auricaps and Audio Cap Thetas that have been in there for the last 10 years.  Going back to the start to see what happens.  🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I recapped some AAs with the JEM caps and have had them in my lascalas for months now.  They displaced a pair of Super X.  Honestly, they sound great.  I just received another kit from JEM for my cornwalls.  I'm about to open them and remove the DeanG universals with Auricaps and Audio Cap Thetas that have been in there for the last 10 years.  Going back to the start to see what happens.  🙂

My guess is the original Cornwall network may sound forward compared to the universal. But hey, that's part of the fun; choices. 

28 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Being a (Jantzen) metalized polypropylene cap, do you think they sound different enough than another quality brand of the same type of cap for the price delta? 

Doubtful. I paid a little extra over the Audyn because I prefer blue. :)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Anything different sounds better for six months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

My guess is the original Cornwall network may sound forward compared to the universal. But hey, that's part of the fun; choices. 

Yes, but if he's not the headbanger he used to be, he may like it very much.

I would build the Type B2.

1 hour ago, captainbeefheart said:

I completely agree that Roy just wants the Klipsch speakers to sound their best, or at least how they intended to and I don't blame him. My goal is to make a list of capacitors that will achieve the same results as what they intend. We all know there will be some people that will choose a component for whatever reasons regardless of any information they are given but I think a "sanctioned" list of parts that keep the same transfer function as intended will help everyone. It helps Klipsch keep their speakers sounding how they want them and it keeps owners happy by keeping their speakers going as long as possible. Many people pick these up from someone selling them and they want them to be the best they can be, a lot of people will totally use a part that is deemed acceptable to keep the original intended sound, I know I would. The best part is they don't have to pay an engineer to waste time finding parts that work in their networks as intended, I'll do it for free to keep the Klipsch sound alive.

The Klipsch sound is alive and well.  The network capacitors that keep the sound alive are available thanks to Roy.  We sat down over two years ago and discussed this matter at great length and the result was JEM Performance Audio being endorsed by Klipsch to provide the factory authorized capacitors for the vintage Heritage speakers.  These capacitors were chosen by Roy for use in these vintage networks.  Hundreds of customers have praised the sound of their speakers after their installation.  There is no BS involving these capacitors.  They work perfectly, as Roy said they would.  The network kits are priced very reasonably considering the quality manufacturing of the product, mounting hardware provided where necessary, plus installation instructions and schematics included with each purchase. 

Since the proper parts are already available, what is the point of this thread?  Don't you think that Roy knows what parts to use in a Klipsch network?  Or is it that you just don't like the way these capacitors are made available?   I really would like to know the answer and I am sure Roy would too.        

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JEM said:

Since the proper parts are already available, what is the point of this thread? 

I pointed that out earlier.

3 minutes ago, JEM said:

Or is it that you just don't like the way these capacitors are made available?

Why would anyone have a problem with that? No one has an issue with that.

6 minutes ago, JEM said:

I really would like to know the answer and I am sure Roy would too. 

Mostly we are just a curious bunch, and to be honest, historically polyesters have had a poor reputation for refinement and cleanliness of sound. So, if things have changed, that's awesome.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JEM said:

The Klipsch sound is alive and well.  The network capacitors that keep the sound alive are available thanks to Roy.  We sat down over two years ago and discussed this matter at great length and the result was JEM Performance Audio being endorsed by Klipsch to provide the factory authorized capacitors for the vintage Heritage speakers.  These capacitors were chosen by Roy for use in these vintage networks.  Hundreds of customers have praised the sound of their speakers after their installation.  There is no BS involving these capacitors.  They work perfectly, as Roy said they would.  The network kits are priced very reasonably considering the quality manufacturing of the product, mounting hardware provided where necessary, plus installation instructions and schematics included with each purchase. 

Since the proper parts are already available, what is the point of this thread?  Don't you think that Roy knows what parts to use in a Klipsch network?  Or is it that you just don't like the way these capacitors are made available?   I really would like to know the answer and I am sure Roy would too.        

In a word; choices. Not to be disrespectful, but does a thread need a meaningful purpose? Maybe we like to discuss 'whatever" in threads like this. Our minds are active, maybe that's the point and we like to think for ourselves. Although that has been frowned upon lately in society. 

• Like 6

I don't care if it's a monopoly. Nice 2's and 13's are impossible to find - unless you want to buy 500 of each.

And this is primarily for the people that don't want to veer in another direction. 

With that said, it would be outstanding to see the differences measured out. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

I don't care if it's a monopoly. Nice 2's and 13's are impossible to find - unless you want to buy 500 of each.

And this is primarily for the people that don't want to veer in another direction. 

With that said, it would be outstanding to see the differences measured out. 

2's and 3's aren't that hard to find, 13uF run about $7.00 and the 2uF are much cheaper.

WIMA FKP is a high quality polyester and foil but they don't have 13uF but you can parallel caps to get there. In a crossover network where the tweeter inductance is naturally going to impede very high frequencies anyway any resonance or increased lead inductance shouldn't be any issue at all since I see these anomalies in the RF range.