Crossover Capacitors and Crossovers In General

1 minute ago, Curious_George said:

Was it Lee? If so, that is too funny. 

Oh, I have no idea, that was a long time ago. I do get some beauts though. Crites had some funny stories too, none which I can repeat because some are still living and active. 

1 minute ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Oh, I have no idea, that was a long time ago. I do get some beauts though. Crites had some funny stories too, none which I can repeat because some are still living and active. 

On the Phase Linear Forum, there is a guy named Lee. He drives k-horns with a PL700 (350watts/ch) and has ALK steep slope crossovers because he listen at about 300 watts RMS. He HAS to be deaf by now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

He has the right networks for that. You need a 100 watts just to know you have loudspeakers in the room. 

I can’t decide if I’m joking or not. 

He is running like a 50 watt swamping resistor because he kept burning those up on the original build from Al.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Al used to tell me they were perfect for SET amps because of their benign impedance. I’m like, “Al, they’ve only got 3 watts and now they only have 1.”  I honestly still don’t know who was right. 

90% of the time, I have a tube amp connected to my LaScala's, but when I'm in the mood to crank them up, I'll connect a 200 to 350 watt SS amp and shake the basement rafters. When I come upstairs afterward, the two cats are looking at me with their ears up on high alert. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Al used to tell me they were perfect for SET amps because of their benign impedance. I’m like, “Al, they’ve only got 3 watts and now they only have 1.”  I honestly still don’t know who was right. 

I always thought about that.  If a resistor gives off heat, they it is getting the energy from somewhere. 

But then again, the higher impedance should help the amp even if it is putting out more power because it needs the resistance.  The analogy that I like is trying to blow through a 2" straw, you run out of air quickly. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

He could have marketed them to rock guitarists who wanted a power soak for their amps...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

All of the new builds are done using aftermarket autotransformers. They are wound by the same company but are different than the originals. Inductance between taps is quite different. @mboxler has done quite a bit with this but it's difficult to decipher what the effect might be.

Someone I have a high degree of respect for sent me this on the topic:

"Differences in the reactance at both ends of the impedance modulus are likely but are they significant? The 13uF cap in the circuit will determine the impedance response in the LF side of the modulus, it dominates totally. The high end of the response is determined by the mutual inductance of the windings but even here, I'd be surprised if there were any significant differences to the second decimal."

I, too, wonder at what point a measured difference is audible.  Below is an LTspice plot of the voltage across a K55 (simulated by a 14.6 ohm resistor) in an AA circuit.  The green plot is with a T2A autoformer, the red, a 3636.  Even though the T2A's tap 3 is -3.3db vs the -3db on the 3636, the T2A is "hotter" at the crossover point due to it's lower inductance.  As frequency rises, however, the shunt impedance of either autoformer is so high that it becomes irrelevant.  

Screenshot (153).png

• Like 4