Present "Equivalent" of KLF-20

kcurtis600

Folks:

My KLF-20's are being "totaled out" by my insurance due to smoke damage.  While I am sure this is subjective, what would be a current "comparable" klipsch speaker in sound quality and price to help determine replacement/replacement value (I believe they retailed in 1996 for around $1500 a pair).   While I might consider diving into the used market, I am not a DIY guy, so there is a risk in buying 20-25 year old equipment in the event of repairs or upgrades. 

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, kcurtis600 said:

Folks My KLF-20's are being "totaled out" by my insurance due to smoke damage.  what would be a current "comparable" klipsch speaker in sound quality and price to help determine replacement/replacement value 

Thanks in advance!

RF-7 III's for sure as stated above, $4400 msrp:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294554197846?epid=24010880943&hash=item4494cc5f56:g:EngAAOSw6sNivzTC&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4IoFD1Sq7uw1RXaavjdb%2Fe8qGkyY1wQRRRes8FwzXrvNsLKzRbI5qo8mChaX8wzGTL3aV87LFcYeJjgGM%2FAj%2FfnTkQw%2Bo8N%2BV9Rhy2pctx5it41gcbT%2Bk%2FqS8EAzvXQOoveNRcGalMQqqJZbwj5e3vokOdoTgXOHByG%2BfwY0JNYtk2Yq1DgN%2BlRfNbcDPTHry3R%2F9Yv5MpiaZKtQEDdWPQPuGLGtwzTax7LrEdGhPsxSslwyKBPcp5uPKKAudgnIej4Aewr3ndJNPRnRouh5YfmrWixnM0EmsewBP4IG9IQf|tkp%3ABk9SR6zzxMndYA

2 hours ago, kcurtis600 said:

Folks:

My KLF-20's are being "totaled out" by my insurance due to smoke damage.  While I am sure this is subjective, what would be a current "comparable" 

RP 8000F

• Like 1

I guess RF-7 III or Forte would be the similar value, market niche speakers.  However, if you like the sound of the 3-way Legend series speakers and want current product, then you should get something from the Heritage line like Forte or Cornwall.  Heritage speakers are the only current ones that cross over from horns to cones at a similarly low frequency to 3-way Legend series, ensuring similar mid-range clarity. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MMurg said:

I guess RF-7 III or Forte would be the similar value, market niche speakers.  However, if you like the sound of the 3-way Legend series speakers and want current product, then you should get something from the Heritage line like Forte or Cornwall.  Heritage speakers are the only current ones that cross over from horns to cones at a similarly low frequency to 3-way Legend series, ensuring similar mid-range clarity. 

I do love the 20's-have never listened to the Forte's or RF-7III's, though I have read plenty of posts from the community comparing them to each other (with quite a variety of opinions as well :).

You should not be afraid of exploring the used market.  OEM or aftermarket parts are available for used Heritage and Legend series speaker.  Replacing bad diaphragms/drivers is not that hard once you get up the nerve to do it.  Most of my horde of Klipsch speakers were purchased used.  The only time I ever replaced diaphragms in all those used speakers was when I wanted to replace some of the stock tweeter diaphragms in my KLF-20/30 and a few others with Crites titanium ones to get better top end extension.

11 hours ago, kcurtis600 said:

I do love the 20's-have never listened to the Forte's or RF-7III's, though I have read plenty of posts from the community comparing them to each other (with quite a variety of opinions as well :).

If you look back at the Klipsch product timeline the KLF-20 replaced the forte II in '96 just like the KLF-30 replaced the Chorus II and KLF-10 the Quartet. In 2001 the KLF line was dropped with the roll out of the RF line, RF-7 being the flagship, RF-5 middle guy and RF-3 as the low man. So I really think either the forte IV or RF-7 III is where I'd say comparable value is IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyErnie said:

Please don't throw the drivers away, I'm sure the Garage Sale section would be friendly to you.  😉

Great idea, I believe I get to keep them once they officially total them out, so perhaps I'll just put them on that section "as is" disclosing the circumstances!

10 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Seems choice would be largely driven by how much money you are willing to spend.

Agree- that is part of my inquiry as to what I should negotiate with the insurance company as to what amount they believe is fair replacement cost.

11 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

17 hours ago, kcurtis600 said:

Folks:

My KLF-20's are being "totaled out" by my insurance due to smoke damage.  While I am sure this is subjective, what would be a current "comparable" klipsch speaker in sound quality and price to help determine replacement/replacement value (I believe they retailed in 1996 for around $1500 a pair).   While I might consider diving into the used market, I am not a DIY guy, so there is a risk in buying 20-25 year old equipment in the event of repairs or upgrades. 

Thanks in advance!

Street Price in the 90s:  I bought new KLF 30s for $1K in the late 90s - but I got a really good deal.