Tube amp kits for the beginner

tube fanatic

I have the impression that there are many who want to build their own tube amp but find the chassis layout and prep to be too daunting a task.  And, with layout being critical for a good result,  this is quite understandable.  Back in the day, the obvious solution was to go with Heathkit whose instruction manuals were without equal.  If you could solder decently you could be assured of a successfully built piece of equipment.

Well, there is a modern company here in PA which has emulated Heathkit.  Analog Ethos offers amp kits at very fair prices all of which should interface very well with your Klipsch speakers.  Their instruction manuals can be downloaded from their site so you can see for yourself the incredible detail and why it will be difficult to make any mistakes.  And, you will be taught how amps work as you go through the build!

Take some time to look at their offerings and feel free to post any questions about the amps here.  I, Henry, and others will be glad to help out.  

https://www.analogethos.com/diytubekit

Maynard

• Like 7

Good find Maynard. I especially like this one for a beginner.   https://www.analogethos.com/exordium   When you are finished you will have an EL84 single ended amplifier that will match the Decware Zen but with an audio tube instead of a Russian, some other use, tube. At first I had sticker shock but after giving it some thought I can see it as a bargain and much easier for a first time builder to do. All the hard work has already been done for you and when you are finished you will have a SET EL84 tube amplifier. I used those OPT's on my Zen build. Sound fine. I would run mine as triode strapped and the power would be more in line as the Sweetie or the Zen. One watt is plenty enough power with Klipsch speakers. In fact with Klipsch speakers 1 watt will kick but. 

• Like 3

Bought a Dynaco clone about a year ago from  http://www.tubes4hifi.com/amps.htm#ST70 . The ST-70 came with excellent instructions and was very easy to build. And the owner (Bob?) was extremely helpful when I made "one" wrong connection. They also have ST-120's and some monoblocks. About $1300 for the ST-70 with some upgrades.  Highly recommend this if someone wants to try tubes. (However, sold it a couple of months later as it just did not enough power for me :( - using 220 and 350 wpc SS units now.)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Emile said:

Bought a Dynaco clone about a year ago from  http://www.tubes4hifi.com/amps.htm#ST70 . The ST-70 came with excellent instructions and was very easy to build. And the owner (Bob?) was extremely helpful when I made "one" wrong connection. They also have ST-120's and some mponpblocks. About $1300 for the ST-70 with some upgrades.  Highly recommend this if someone wants to try tubes. (However, sold it a couple of months later as it just did not enough power for me :( - using 220 and 350 wpc SS units now.)

Bob Latino is no longer working with Roy (who owns the company).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, henry4841 said:

That design was called the poor mans McIntosh back in the day. 

Hi Henry  , it still is ,    the overall ST 70  Dynaco  amp design was great , simple , and affordable  , but the   electronics PCB  in  the cloned  version is a nightmare

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OO1 said:

Hi Henry  , it still is ,    the overall ST 70  Dynaco  amp design was great , simple , and affordable  , but the   electronics PCB  in  the cloned  version is a nightmare

The PCB in my VTA ST120 is fiberglass with fully tinned thru-holes. All components were in spec (confirmed by me). Instructions were thorough and understandable to someone who hadn't soldered in 20 years. Once populated it cleaned up with 99% isopropyl. I've since had to use flux remover on more recent projects from other vendors. The support from Roy and Bob Latino (now retired) were above and beyond. It was a great project that didn't smoke on startup and sounds fantastic. They also have a helpful forum.

What is the "nightmare" you refer to? From what I've read, the Dynaco /Radian ST70 (v3) uses a full PCB with no hardwiring. The chassis is bigger but they didn't take advantage of the additional room. This one wasn't a clone.

As this is a thread on beginner tube amp projects, please share your helpful, firsthand experience and the PCB clone you worked with.  

Respectfully,

N

• Like 1