Premium Sweetie Build

henry4841

I have just about decided to rebuild my Tubelab SSE EL-34 amp that I built years ago for another project. If so I will start another thread of the build for those that like such things. Not a whole lot more to say about this premium Sweetie that has not already been said other than I really like the way it sounds and looks. As you can see there are some improvements in appearances that could be made to the SSE EL-34. Actually using Gold Lion KT-77 tubes now. I've made an offer on Ebay for some used old EL-34 tubes. 

Update, seller took me up on offer. Mine now. Nothing sounds like those old tubes. Supposedly test excellent from seller with 100% feedback rating. 

s-l1600.jpg

P1040086.JPG

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, CWelsh said:

@henry4841 I know you've only got a few hours on the new amp, but I wondered if you've been able to discern any appreciable difference in sound between this one with premium components and the standard version. I saw your comments on the Hammond vs. Edcor OPTs. Do you feel that difference is all related to the transformers, or do you think the other components contribute.

Unless I misunderstood your earlier post about the difference in cost between the standard and premium components, the added cost is quite small.

In my experience, changing the output transformers will contribute the most difference when comparing two identical amps. Other components or toplogy changes (such as stereo vs mono) will have much less effect on the sound difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

In my experience, changing the output transformers will contribute the most difference when comparing two identical amps. Other components or toplogy changes (such as stereo vs mono) will have much less effect on the sound difference. 

Thank you. This is good to know.

Part of my reason for asking is because of Henry's comment about the bass being stronger and quicker. This is a change I noted when I upgraded the capacitors in my Marantz 1060. My brother-in-law also has a 1060 that matches mine but is all original so we were able to A/B the two. If you weren't switching between the two, I'm not sure the changes would have been noticeable, but we were both able to clearly hear what I would also describe as stronger and quicker bass, so I wondered if the premium passive components might be contributing factors. The difference, though, is the new caps that went into my 1060 were also of different values than the originals, so that may be more significant than any quality differences.

• 1 month later...

CWelsh on the Pictures of your Tube amp thread where I posted pictures of my latest build a SE KT-88 asked how did the KT-88 compare to the sound of the Sweetie. This morning I decided to do some comparisons between some of my other amps to this new one the KT-88. I decided to post results here instead of on a thread about pictures of tube amplifiers. The Sweetie will hold it's own with the KT-88 I just built and a First Watt Aleph J clone I built many years ago. Some may even prefer the Sweetie. This week I did some distortion testing with the Arta distortion software. The KT-88 amplifier has a really clean signal, much like many SS amplifiers, with some 2nd harmonics and a touch of 3rd which many consider what makes an amplifier sound best. The Sweetie has the same 2nd and 3rd harmonics but distortion numbers are not what one would call good. I tested my personal KT-88 along with this one I just finished with the intentions of selling somewhere and the Sweetie. The KT-88's were tested at 1Khz 1 watt. I would not test the Sweetie at 1 watt because that is all the power it makes at clipping. Would not be fair, but even at 250mw of power the distortion numbers were not what one would call good. All that being said the Sweetie is one amazing sounding amplifier. SET amplifiers are known not to measure well on the bench but sound outstanding to many people. Trying to sell a 1 watt SET amplifier would have a very limited market and a tough sell except to knowledgeable audiophiles. The SE Kt-88 is a great sounding single ended amplifier with more expense but a broader market with the more common 6 or 7 watts one expects from a SET amplifier. One would certainly need Heritage type speakers to even consider a 1 watt Sweetie but they would be rewarded with some truly outstanding sound. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I would like to keep this thread clean and in accordance with the the poster’s (Henry’s) original intent - a simple tube amp that anyone can build as a beginning project at a reasonable cost. 

@henry4841 would you mind if I split the technical discussions that follow the completion of the Little Sweetie into a separate thread where you all can continue the deep dive? This would allow those coming into this original thread to come in, follow your build, ask build questions, and post their builds?

Travis

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

It’s not coming off that way, and we are now in the tall weeds. I’m moving it all into a separate thread, if people are interested they can engage, if not, they can ignore it. We will keep this one clean from here on out.

Let us know when yiu get the split off thread going... I'm learning a lot from CB and will follow and hopefully participate.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, billybob said:

The Captain is a bit long in the tooth and with background, could write books on the subject. 

As a layman, it is not germaine but interesting.

Will compliment the Captain.

Recommended to have own thread where whoever can hash it out. FWIW...

Done, in part, a thread on ancillary issues associated with the Little Sweetie Amp. Of course anyone is free to start other threads in the Tube Amp section like "Pros and Cons of Neg Feedback"; How Much Distortion is Too Much?; or How To Test Your Handy Work; or my favorite "Why B+ Is Not A Grade You Want to Get On Your Amp."

Would like to keep this thread about the build of the Little Sweetie, and questions for those who are looking to build this amp.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This little great sounding amplifier found a new home. Gave it to my 2nd son who is moving away for a going away present. Hooked it up to my shop 85db speakers just to show him what 1 watt will do. Sound really good and plenty loud enough for most even with 85db speakers. After that I hooked the little amp to my LaScala speakers and let him and my soon to graduate from college grandson who could not believe how clean and loud the little amp can play. Never ran out of power even when pushed way further than need be, hurt your hearing. Talked him into buying some Klipsch speakers to go with his new amplifier as well. 

Has anyone built this design, Little Sweetie, by our resident designer Maynard? I guarantee it will sound better than the overhyped Decware Zen for $1200 with an 18 month waiting period. I hope all the effort me and others took to create the "Little Sweetie Forum Amplifier Project" was not in vain.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Definitely NOT in vain.

While I won't be building anything like this anytime soon, it was great to follow along with someone who knows what he's doing and willing to share the knowledge. Thanks to both you and Maynard for the "Little Sweetie"

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, amped said:

Thanks to both you and Maynard for the "Little Sweetie"

I'll second that. Little Sweetie loves my Heresies and I am loving the combination. I hope I'll be able to do some A - B comparisons soon and maybe contribute some impressions to the discussion. For now I'll just say "thanks".

1 hour ago, Area 51 said:

I'll second that. Little Sweetie loves my Heresies and I am loving the combination. I hope I'll be able to do some A - B comparisons soon and maybe contribute some impressions to the discussion. For now I'll just say "thanks".

Have not heard from you in awhile and I am glad you are still enjoying your Maynard designed little amplifier. With our speakers it can hold it's own against most any amplifier. At least in my opinion for whatever it is worth. My son was impressed when first hearing it on my LaScala's. 

• Like 1