Heritage speakers and soundstage depth

Painful Reality

I keep reading reviews about Klipsch Heritage not doing depth. Well true if you have these in a conventional setup close to the wall. I’ve ran a pair of Klipsch Forte III in my listening room in a fairly unconventional setup where there were 1.8m from the wall and the imaging and depth were simply incredible. Obviously, there is no free lunch and such a setup does require a pair of REL T9i subs to complement the bass.

82A8F112-47FC-4DE5-ADEB-0C0A0F4EB3A6.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice looking set up! Are your Fortes on wheels?

I'm still tinkering with my Forte III set up. I currently have them about 18" from the wall and slightly toed. I can't say the depth is incredible, but there is some, and I get enough bass without a sub to make me happy. I'm using a Nelson Pass ACA and the imaging is great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Painful Reality said:

I keep reading reviews about Klipsch Heritage not doing depth.

My experience tells me room, positioning and equipment matching all can really make huge differences. With my current set up if I run my Sunfire Ultimate Receiver the soundstage is very flat, 2-dimensional but if I swap that out with my Pre / Carver tube amp there is significant depth to the soundstage without moving my speakers at all, they're currently about 12 inches off the front wall but about 6 feet from either side wall. I get plenty of bass and good depth. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

Nice looking set up! Are your Fortes on wheels?

I'm still tinkering with my Forte III set up. I currently have them about 18" from the wall and slightly toed. I can't say the depth is incredible, but there is some, and I get enough bass without a sub to make me happy. I'm using a Nelson Pass ACA and the imaging is great.

My Forte were 1.8m from the back wall (about 6 feets). Depth was incredible. I did mount these on Isotek Gaia II isolation feet. It did help a lot with reducing the cabinet resonance.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OO1 said:

flawless setup 

I would not saw flawless. I was using the Forte in a way these were not really designed to be used. The main issue was the proximity to the side walls. Despite this the was an awesome setup that did put a huge smile on my face for two years. I recently had a change over and got a Pass Labs INT60 and a pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amator III. And this setup is mindblowing. The smaller size of the Sonus Faber integrates better in the room. This is my holographic setup for studio albums while my Cornwall IV are for my live, kick in the guts setup.

350C81CE-3FD7-4B8E-926C-068CFBDF96BC.jpeg

• Like 3

I am not a huge fan of boundary gain... and have always tried to pull my speakers away from any layer/wall in order to gain a more spatial image. Space limitations always apply here.

LIKE ALL THINGS, it is tunable... Meaning I move my speakers in and out of wall and corner proximity in order to balance the gain and spatial qualities on the image, all in conjunction with 'clocking' of the speakers.

it's not rocket science.

what I have also found that as I move up in horn sizing, the less important this 'tuning' is and that means I can concentrate more on the boundary layer gain aspects instead of trying to balance the two aspects.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Painful Reality said:

I would not saw flawless. I was using the Forte in a way these were not really designed to be used. The main issue was the proximity to the side walls. Despite this the was an awesome setup that did put a huge smile on my face for two years. I recently had a change over and got a Pass Labs INT60 and a pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amator III. And this setup is mindblowing. The smaller size of the Sonus Faber integrates better in the room. This is my holographic setup for studio albums while my Cornwall IV are for my live, kick in the guts setup.

350C81CE-3FD7-4B8E-926C-068CFBDF96BC.jpeg

Those are some monstrous speaker cables!  Could you tell us a little bit about them?

• Like 1

When it comes to walls, can we standardize what we call them?  That way, at least one point of confusion will be eliminated or at least greatly reduced.

What I suggest is this:  the wall behind the Front speakers is the front wall.

The wall behind the Rear/Back speakers is the rear/back wall.

Can we agree on this?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Islander said:

When it comes to walls, can we standardize what we call them?  That way, at least one point of confusion will be eliminated or at least greatly reduced.

What I suggest is this:  the wall behind the Front speakers is the front wall.

The wall behind the Rear/Back speakers is the rear/back wall.

Can we agree on this?

NO:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s good.  Thanks. The thing is, I keep seeing references to the “back” wall, which seems to be the wall in back of (an odd way of saying “behind”) the front speakers.  Sometimes it really makes you wonder where the speakers are, or what kind of bizarre room they’re in.

• Like 1