Heritage speakers and soundstage depth

Painful Reality

1 hour ago, timbley2 said:

Mike,

The room is looking great, and reminds me of a 2C3D room (2 channel 3 dimensional sound), with TubeTraps distributed fairly evenly along the walls. I see you've moved the skyline diffusers off the front wall and on to the overhead. How would you describe their sound when on the front wall vs. the overhead? 

Thanks Tim

Interestingly they worked well in both locations by maintaining a liveness and more spacious feeling (like I’m in a larger space) without a negative effect which can sometimes happen in the high frequencies similar to a delayed edginess to vocals as an example. My preference for ceiling location really comes down to the visual aspect in that while the front wall location looks great in pictures I find it distracting somewhat visually which hinders the mind imagining the image/soundstage from the recording versus the visually more open and less distracting current setup with the Studio Traps. Again front wall location of the RPG diffusers was fine acoustically and if I turned the lights off imaging/soundstage was excellent but in normal light it the visual distraction and thus limited my full enjoyment of the imaging/soundstage of the recordings. 

The placement of the RPG Skyline diffusers has been an interesting experiment in placement with some surprises in this room (nearly square) I didn’t expect versus the previous room (which was smaller and rectangular). In this room I found only the front wall and ceiling locations worked well and sidewall and back wall locations always eventually revealed themselves with some form of high frequency edginess. In my previously smaller/rectangular room the RPG Skyline diffusers worked extremely well on the sidewalls first reflection points but they did require a slightly different asymmetrical  location along the sidewall to avoid an audible and unpleasant effect which again disappeared if offset by about 6” to 12” from each other.

miketn