whew! prostate is gone...

Marvel

• 1 month later...

Doing great here... almost better than I expected. But then again, I didn't really know what to expect. Scars where they made holes are pretty much healed up. Not even tender or sensitive. I've lost 10 pounds (down to 135),  but I'm sure that's because I stopped drinking any alcohol four months ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

Doing great here... almost better than I expected. But then again, I didn't really know what to expect. Scars where they made holes are pretty much healed up. Not even tender or sensitive. I've lost 10 pounds (down to 135),  but I'm sure that's because I stopped drinking any alcohol four months ago.

You might let us know in the future what other functions may have been affected.

JJK

On 9/2/2022 at 8:17 PM, Marvel said:

Dean, not sure what is next. I'm sure they will check out what they removed.

Not fond of the catheter. My doc is head of urology at Erlanger. At least I didn't get sick with the procedure. Robotic assisted, ten staples. Not very comfortable, but I've been up walking around the house and drinking lots of water.

Great to hear you are doing well and negative margins.

There will be no imaging.  You will get a PSA at 3 months and you want it to be "undetectable" or less than 0.1.  If you PSA ever goes up from that, you will get imaging.

No more alcohol; You are a strong man.

jc

5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

You might let us know in the future what other functions may have been affected

Now that might be getting personal...

Well, at 73 I would get up in he night to struggle a bit to take a leak. That problem it certainly gone, and I'm glad of it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jwc said:

Great to hear you are doing well and negative margins.

There will be no imaging.  You will get a PSA at 3 months and you want it to be "undetectable" or less than 0.1.  If you PSA ever goes up from that, you will get imaging.

jc

My Doctor told me at last visit there is serious debate among doctors whether PSA test should be given to anybody. He does not believe anyone over 70 should take the test. Sounds like my Dr does not trust Dr's. 

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

My Doctor told me at last visit there is serious debate among doctors whether PSA test should be given to anybody.

That's an odd thing for a doctor to say.  It's not like you have to study for the dang thing.  The PSA produces a number via a simple but extensive blood test.

FYI my prostate was nuked with radiation at age 63. I'm 66 now.   They couldn't use the Da Vinci robot to take mine out because of scarring when my colon cancer required surgery.

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

My Doctor told me at last visit there is serious debate among doctors whether PSA test should be given to anybody. He does not believe anyone over 70 should take the test. Sounds like my Dr does not trust Dr's. 

This started with the government "preventative task force" statement several years ago.  Since then the American Cancer Society pulled the screening recommendations off the website and just says talk to you Doctor.  Spine less.

Prostate cancer now is getting detected late and guys end up getting pissed.  I have most guys now turn down the option of stop screening after the age of 75.  The complications from Radiation and Radical Prostatectomy are so low now.  Yes there are a not so common exceptions. 

The death rate of prostate cancer is underrated as I've seen my long standing patients with the slow battle end up in the hospital and "die from something else"  The death certificate won't have Prostate cancer on there.

Regardless .......yes you have to have a discussion with your primary cancer physician and/or Urologist if you want.

Folks are living into their 90's now.  If you have prostate cancer in your 60's or younger......you are taking a big gamble.  I am not giving advice here.  Just my perspective.

BTW.  My Dad stopped at 70.  You would understand if you knew him.

jc

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jwc said:

My Dad stopped at 70.  You would understand if you knew him.

jc

I did also with Dr blessing. It is a decision many have to choose, take the PSA test or not. I still remember my mother in law who they found breast cancer in a routine exam. After mastectomy's she lived 10 more years but she told me before she died that every day after that was hell knowing you have cancer. Also had a friend that had prostrate surgery in his 40's and a few years later committed suicided. Was not able to handle the fact he had cancer. 

Quality of life means a lot to me and I would just prefer to live out my days without knowing what the future may bring. As far as cancer. Something gets us all in the end but there are better ways to die than cancer. A big factor for me is that over a decade ago I had a massive heart attack with stents and bypass surgery. Diagnosed with congestive heart failure so it boils down to whether the bear or the tiger will get me first. Major surgery for someone like myself can be real serious having a bad heart so I would just rather take my chances. One thing for sure PSA test has made a bunch of money for the medical profession. Whether it prolongs life or if your quality of life is better after surgery can be debated till the cows come home. Boils down to personal decision. 

• One to 3 cups a day can lower your odds of aggressive prostate cancer by nearly a third -- no matter what your health condition is. If you have or used to have prostate cancer, the news could be good for you, too      .Researchers also found that 4 or more cups of coffee a day           may help delay the disease's progression.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, Marvel said:

Now that might be getting personal...

Well, at 73 I would get up in he night to struggle a bit to take a leak. That problem it certainly gone, and I'm glad of it.

Bruce, 

Not on the forum much anymore.  Just saw that you had surgery.  You are lifted in prayer......  

You are one of the good ones !  

I too am 73 and have had some problems.   To ask a question that "might be getting personal" really sucks!  Classless ***. 

tc

• Like 1