Does Jolida JD-505 (KT88) amplifier match with CW IV ?

SpeedLimit

I have Klipsch cornwall IV since a little more than 1 and half year ..
until today, the CW IV are driven by a Audio Analogue Grand Maestro amplifier.

I never had tube (valve) amplifier.

I have not enough money to buy a big valve amplifier.  I have seen the Jolida JD-505 with KT88 tube.

Do you think they will match together ?

Do you mean EL34 or EL84 should be better ?  ( better sound i mean ) ?

Thank you for your help

2 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

I have Klipsch cornwall IV I never had tube (valve) amplifier. I have seen the Jolida JD-505 with KT88 tube. Do you think they will match together ?

Thank you for your help

Wow the JD-505 looks very nice! I've had the 502b amplifier and thought it sounded great especially for the price. Jolida is a good gateway product to get your feet wet in tubes if you can get one at a good price I'd say go for it, you can always re-sell it you don't like it. 

Tube amps dont have very much in terms of Damping factor    ,  and your Maestro Amp has a very low damping factor  .  the Jolida is an entry level tube amp and the build quality was not the greatest , but it's  decent to experiment with tubes and the KT88 are better than the stock tubes .

-to get the best sound from your CW IV  , you'll need an amplifier with   high damping factor   ,  , get yourself a Crown Drivecore chip amplifier  , and  watch your speakers come alive  with slamming bass and crisp clear HF at any volume setting . but you'll need a Pre-amplifier 

31 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

Which model ?

Crown  

-xls series  have a damping factor of + 200  

-cdi series have a damping factor of + 1000    

- xli series are the least expensive  but these  are Class AB , damping factor + 200  

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_families/xls-drivecore-2-series

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/cdi-2-300

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli-800

4 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

in the meanwhile, i have seen on internet .. the XLS 402 is not good .. Noisy fans, this amp has not good bass

Pro amps are good for subs I wouldn't worry too much about damping factor-- what happened to your amp? was there anything you didn't like about it that wants you to move to tubes? 

11 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

was there anything you didn't like about it that wants you to move to tubes? 

Nothing, but i am not very very happy with the sound at home. Perhaps it's my room that is not good.

I have read that tube amps are good with Klipsch Heritage speakers .. so i think perhaps i can try ..

49 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

you mean the best are the cdi series ...

i will have a look of the price of these amps on my island .. if they can be found

there are   higher end series  but you should be ok with the cdi  ,  Damping factor is crucial for bass with the Heritage speakers 

-read this 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, SpeedLimit said:

Which model ?

None, the amp you have now is just as good, probably better.

FWIW the Jolida you are/were looking at is the Chinese company and not the US based company (now Black Ice) that most in the US are familiar with.

Damping factor is overrated by many (look at the math).

I have a solid state amp with a very high damping factor and a single ended tube amp with a very low damping factor, the bass is a little different, but I can't say one is better than the other.

• Like 1