Glass tops for La Scala AL5

Tony Anthony

Hi Im hoping for a pair of La Scala AL5 to be delivered, but before they arrive I want to have glass tops made by my local glass workshop. I showed them the La Scala spec sheet with the manufactures size dimensions. They suggested that I should not go with the dimension listed in the spec sheet, but do an actual measurement when the sparkers arrive. Does anyone know if there any significant variance between the dimensions listed in the spec sheet and the actual dimensions (ie the tops) of units that would suggest that I should not use the printed spec dimensions?   

Edited by Tony Anthony
  • Like 1

The glass panels are meant to protect the surface from accidental falls /spills from things around it. It not that you would put anything on the top after installing the glass. It's much like buying a glass screen protector (ie Mr shield) for their smartphones or people sometimes put glass on top of wooden desks and other well made furniture to preserve the original state. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tony Anthony said:

The glass panels are meant to protect the surface from accidental falls /spills from things around it. It not that you would put anything on the top after installing the glass. It's much like buying a glass screen protector (ie Mr shield) for their smartphones or people sometimes put glass on top of wooden desks and other well made furniture to preserve the original state. 

I think the glass tops are a great idea , most  used heritage  speakers  being sold today are damaged  with water stains or just plain banged up 🤷  . Nothing wrong with trying to keep your new Klipsch speakers in pristine condition. Welcome to the forum 🤓

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom05 said:

I think the glass tops are a great idea , most  used heritage  speakers  being sold today are damaged  with water stains or just plain banged up 🤷  . Nothing wrong with trying to keep your new Klipsch speakers in pristine condition. Welcome to the forum 🤓

People who can’t keep drinks and plants off speakers are just idiots.  No point in mincing words about it. They should just settle for some Bose cubes mounted up on the walls.

When visiting my grandma as a little kid in West Virginia, us kids where told up front about not going into grandma’s fancy room. Grams had collected a roomful of little treasures and she displayed them proudly in that room ,and she was determined to protect them .The room was off limits, and even as a kid we all respected that . I agree about not putting stuff on expense speakers, but try telling that to your guests or your kids friends , What’s so wrong with a guy  simply wanting to protect his beautiful new  Lascala speakers ? Personally I kinda like to hear a guy wanting to protect them , it shows  respect for the product and seems like a worthwhile goal to me .

• Like 5

Glass tops are great for some speakers. Had them on my CW's and currently on my subwoofer - which looks like a table so people put "stuff" on it :(  Haha; do not have glass on top of my KPT-904's/HF section nor on bookshelf and/or tall floor-standers :) 

Don't forget to put little clear spacers underneath the glass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Don't forget to put little clear spacers underneath the glass.

I suggest being very cautious about what you use as spacers with the Lacquer Finish currently used on Klipsch Loudspeakers. Rubber/Plastic type spacers can have chemical reactions with the Lacquer Finish causing damage.

I’ve used felt type spacers or spacers I’ve made using heavy card stock without any issues with Lacquer Finishes so far in my experiences.

miketn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestion about the spacers, I was thinking about the interaction between the two materials. I think I will be using felt spacers as they will not interact with the finish. Again, I will not be placing anything on the speakers, other than the glass, protector. Being in my mid 50s I don't plan to buy any other speakers after the La Scalas this is the end of the speaker line for me. They look like furniture that's built to last many years and the retro style should not go out of date. Kind of like the Porsche 911 will never go out of date. I definitely do not have one of those, but I will when I hit the lottery. 😀  

Edited by Tony Anthony
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

if you are in a sunny State , use laminated  glass as it blocks  UV light  .

Good idea, but custom-sized laminated glass could be pricy.  Tinted/smoked glass could be worth asking about.  So many choices.  And Tony wanted a simple answer to a simple question...

As for waiting for delivery to get the exact sizes, the glass shop has probably seen slightly variable sizes in furniture and is wanting to get your job right the first time, so it's hard to argue with that attitude.

BTW, Tony, welcome to the Forum!  Nits picked, hairs split, advice to spend more money and buy bigger speakers a specialty.

• Like 3

• Tony Anthony changed the title to Glass tops for La Scala AL5