Sub or subs for CWIV?

Klipschtastic

So I’m in the market for a sub or a pair of them if need be. Yesterday I dusted off my old Velodyne 12” sub and tried it out with my Cornwalls. It really does help fill out the bottom end and it seems to help the entire soundstage. I don’t have much experience with subs but this one seems to do a pretty good job. The only problem is it goes into protection mode pretty easily, especially with anything bass heavy. 
So what sub or subs do you recommend for music?  I do watch movies in 2.1 with it but music is top priority. If I use two subs can they be smaller?  Like dual 10” instead of one 15 or 18”?  Btw this set up is in my living room which is open to the dining room and kitchen so it’s a largish space. Like 4500 cubic feet. 

Thanks

Jon

8 minutes ago, OO1 said:

As a recent owner of a brand new Klipsch sub that had amplifier problems after 2 months I'd steer clear of them until they decide to really get into the game with some higher end reliable models. Tons of good subs out there with excellent track records for reliability at or near the same cost of the Klipsch subs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Klipschtastic said:

So I’m in the market for a sub or a pair of them if need be So what sub or subs do you recommend for music?  I do watch movies in 2.1 with it but music is top priority. If I use two subs can they be smaller?  Like dual 10” instead of one 15 or 18”?  Btw this set up is in my living room which is open to the dining room and kitchen so it’s a largish space. Like 4500 cubic feet. Thanks Jon

I recently had a RSL Speedwoofer 10 that had no problem filling my room (about half the size of yours) gave it to my brother in a slightly larger room and he loves it. I imagine a pair would probably work out quite well for you great sub especially for the price they're hard to beat. Only downside is there is typically an on going back order might take a month or two to get them. Lots of great reviews on Youtube.

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s-mkii/

10SMKII-BLACK-REFLECTION-specs.png

• Like 1

If your Velodyne is going into protection mode "pretty easily" then obviously you're playing at levels beyond the sub's capabilities, and below your bass tastes!

I would buy a second 12" sub, probably on the facebook/craigslist market, and see if two subs gives you the level you want. You can always sell it, or both of them, later and get a matched pair of whatever brand you choose.

Two subs are often recommended to even out the bass coverage in the room and I believe it results in 6dB of gain. That's a good amount vs. 6dB of more watts.

16 minutes ago, tromprof said:

My tuba table is wonderful with Cornwalls.

I have never been anywhere near as satisfied with any non horn sub. CW IVs are very nice speakers, give them the best!

They also work well with Super Heresys, according to a Klipschead meeting in Chicago about 8 years ago.

15 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have a pair of HSU ULS-15 IIs that I used with Cornwall IVs and now use with LS IIs. I think they offer very good performance for the $$.

I wouldn’t recommend going any smaller than a 15” driver.

Mk I or Mk II? Slightly different animals (Mk II is sealed & EQ's down to 20 Hz), but both would work well according to the curves. Since Cornwalls go down to 35 Hz. crossing them at 40 Hz. might be a good start with high pass filtering.

Not sure why it goes into protection mode. I mean it honestly works fine for 90 percent of my listening. I don’t want to destroy my hearing and it adds a lot of enjoyment to the music at or below 80 db. I haven’t heard any newer or better subs but this one does the trick for me. I just want to find an even better long term solution. 
I am a bit of a minimalist or at least I try to be..lol. Therefore I prefer the idea of just the Cornwalls in a 2.0 and told myself I don’t need a sub. But honestly just the subtly blended bottom end it adds to the music is a game changer for me. I just hooked it up a couple of days ago and was up listening until 1am last night. It’s so much more addicting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Klipschtastic said:

CHT 12. Budget wise, I mean I need to do justice to the Cornwalls. I can buy one sub at a time so I’m thinking somewhere around the SVS 2000 for $899. Give or take. Maybe a pair of the SVS 1000s would suffice?

If you want a cheap but good pair of 10's the RSL's are a good way to go if you want better I'd go with what Shakey has the HSU's look them up excellent subs as well for the money. 

https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

U15MK2SB-600.jpg

5 hours ago, Klipschtastic said:

CHT 12. Budget wise, I mean I need to do justice to the Cornwalls. I can buy one sub at a time so I’m thinking somewhere around the SVS 2000 for $899. Give or take. Maybe a pair of the SVS 1000s would suffice?

I matched an SVS SB 1000 Pro subwoofer to my La Scalas and was pretty pleased with it. It performed much better than the old Klipsch subwoofer I had been using, so +1 on the SVS.

However, ultimately, I replaced the SVS subwoofer with a pair of THTLP subwoofers. If you're handy, a THT or THTLP can be built for about the price of an SVS 2000. The THTLP is excellent.

Using two subs --- rather than one --- was the only way I could tame some room issues. If you go with >1 subwoofer, plan on getting a MiniDSP 2x4HD. It will make a world of difference.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the SVS SB3000. The app is handy and easy to use to make adjustments on the fly. It really seems to blend well and doesn’t produce any bloated bass. It can be dormant on an old 60s track with no bass to speak of and then shake the floors on the next track when playing an eclectic mix.  I have very little basis for comparison and maybe I just described most subs but I’m certainly happy!  At age 47 my only previous sub is my old Velodyne CHT 12 which was decent but this one bests it by quite a bit. 

• Like 2