cable lifting...

Schu

On 9/6/2022 at 6:03 AM, Schu said:

HOWEVER, why is suspending cables in the air in a high resolution system considered audio fodder for the technical minded science based audiophile. Is it merely because it can't be measured?

No, because it cannot be detected with blind listening test.

Many differences that actually can be measured cannot be detected by ear. So why bother with one which cannot be detected by both?

3 hours ago, Bacek said:

No, because it cannot be detected with blind listening test.

Many differences that actually can be measured cannot be detected by ear. So why bother with one which cannot be detected by both?

blind listening tests is the worst insight here for a blanket statement... for obvious reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Cable lifting was invented as a reason for grown men to go online and relieve their pent-up sarcasms. 😄

Ha Ha, cable lifting was invented by those who subscribed to PT Barnum's famous "sucker born every minute" comment to extract wealth from others🤣

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, Islander said:

Actually, the reason high voltage lines are lifted is because they carry extreme voltages, as much as 700,000 volts.  That much power creates a very large field around it in which it’s dangerous to be, as much as 100 feet in diameter.

There may be other reasons, but that seems to be the most obvious one.

Cost of running transmission lines underground as opposed to overhead is cost prohibitive.

all my wiring is in wall about 12” above concrete floor level (and who places speakers or wire on damp concrete? 🤷) Electrical all comes from overhead so none in proximity to my speaker wires. Cable lifters are snake oil.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, Schu said:

You two completely missed the point of the thread...

Well not exactly since our point is that cable lifters are wealth transfer devices and not true audio improvement devices. If you like them and enjoy using them do so. Just don't expect many others to think they work.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Well not exactly since our point is that cable lifters are wealth transfer devices and not true audio improvement devices. If you like them and enjoy using them do so. Just don't expect many others to think they work.

I found that marble cable lifters sound harder than mahogany cable lifters which sound more wood like.  I use 24kt Gold ones for certain music - good to have all different types.

About the video.

1. He incorrectly claims "there is no direct connection from power plant to your home." What he means is "no direct physical connection." But, there most certainly is a direct electrical connection. The coils in a transformer need not "touch" to create continuous flow of current. The current flow from power source to sink IS continuous.

2. In various words he implies that power is not "in the cable." But of course it IS in the cable because HT lines can exceed 150C in temperature. And, for any fixed distance and load, the lower the line voltage, the more power loss is suffered. Hence the reason long distance lines are at 400KV - 745KV - to minimize losses in the cable.

Magnetism and current arise together the same way "heads and tails" appears on a coin. If this were not so, one could use ANY tiny gauge of wire to conduct any amount of current desired. We know that isn't true, right?

• Like 4

Being an electronic tech and fixing an un countable number of problems that turned out to be just a bad connection I just want to say it would be better if we could do everything without wires.:)

Or solder. Or connectors Or spade lugs Or crimpers....get the picture...

• Like 1

I don’t believe in floor cable lifters. If the lifters touch the floor, regardless of the material the lifters are made from, they will still not inhibit problematic electrical cross contamination. The only way you can lift cables successfully is with cryogenically treated .0003 cm rhodium wire suspended from your ceiling and attached to the cable and lifted off the floor. For this to have a true sonic effectiveness you need need to paint the area under the cables with a magnetic paint. 

FWIW, I enjoyed the video. And the presenter is a good speaker. It has a touch of that "flat Earth" kind of logical appeal that was making the rounds a few years back. 

The thing about stereology is that for many, myself included,  it's far more of an artform than an engineering discipline. Much like oil painting is not the same as drafting, or CAD. There's no perfect garden design, or car design, or way you should hang art on the wall. There's no perfect way to play a guitar. And as Bob Carver will tell you, no perfect way to design an amp. It's just an unlimited personal expression---as long as you don't wear brown shoes with a blue suit!

This is always confusing for students.

Current changes through a conductor is not the same as electromotive force created from the current change through the conductor but they are related to each other. You need the varying change of currents in order to produce the magnetic field that can be induced into another conductor, like a transformer.

I'm not going to get into teaching or explaining this because it's too in depth to cover in one post without sitting here for two hours.

Terms to look up and understand.

Faraday's law of induction

Electric fields and Electromotive force

Flemings left/right hand rules

In simplest terms Electric fields originate from electric charges and time-varying electric currents like AC current passing through a speaker wire (conductor). It's easy to see there is absolutely zero advantage to cable risers with audio signals passing through speaker wire (straight conductor) once you understand the concepts.