cable lifting...

Schu

4 hours ago, Jim Gregory said:

I don’t believe in floor cable lifters. If the lifters touch the floor, regardless of the material the lifters are made from, they will still not inhibit problematic electrical cross contamination. The only way you can lift cables successfully is with cryogenically treated .0003 cm rhodium wire suspended from your ceiling and attached to the cable and lifted off the floor. For this to have a true sonic effectiveness you need need to paint the area under the cables with a magnetic paint. 

Yer killin me Jim.

OK now listen up. It is a scientific fact that electrons have mass. Don't believe me look it up yourself. Now here is why wire towers in audio are so important. Copper has a face-centred cubic structure with a unit-cell edge length of 3.61A∘. What this means is that electrons can puddle in the wire dips. You hear that pop when you turn on your amp sometimes? That is the inrush of new electrons along with the puddled electrons briefly creating a surge. You have to make sure the cable towers are aligned in such a fashion that there is a constant slope, with no dips, down to the speaker from the amp so they can drain off when the amp is powered down. This will prevent those surges and their resultant pops.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks Dave. Great explanation of a highly technical subject. Taking your “no dips, down to the speaker” comment to another level I find placing the preamp close to the ceiling, followed with the amp(s) a couple feet lower and the speakers of course “downhill” from the amp(s). There’s no doubt this sloping effect “turbocharges” the electrons as they race to the speakers. 
For those that can’t comprehend the equation just visualize a downhill skier going faster and faster - you’re welcome.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK now listen up. It is a scientific fact that electrons have mass. Don't believe me look it up yourself. Now here is why wire towers in audio are so important. Copper has a face-centred cubic structure with a unit-cell edge length of 3.61A∘. What this means is that electrons can puddle in the wire dips. You hear that pop when you turn on your amp sometimes? That is the inrush of new electrons along with the puddled electrons briefly creating a surge. You have to make sure the cable towers are aligned in such a fashion that there is a constant slope, with no dips, down to the speaker from the amp so they can drain off when the amp is powered down. This will prevent those surges and their resultant pops.

I really hope this is sarcasm and meant to be a joke. If so mission accomplished 😂

8 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

I really hope this is sarcasm and meant to be a joke. If so mission accomplished 😂

Oh, of course I am serious. It is why I use only 12g Platinum wires because the density of the metal helps prevent excessive puddling.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

Oh, of course I am serious. It is why I use only 12g Platinum wires because the density of the metal helps prevent excessive puddling.

I prefer Trinium, also known as ke by the native Salish people of PXY-887. 

It's rare and very expensive because the spirits only put so much in the river to be used and get angry if you try and mine more. T'akaya and Xe'ls are very stingy with the trinium.

• Like 1

Living in Michigan, I've found that the extreme cold weather in the wintertime slows down the velocity of the electrons. Therefore, I make sure to open all the doors and windows an hour before turning on my system. Haven't heard a pop in years!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

Living in Michigan, I've found that the extreme cold weather in the wintertime slows down the velocity of the electrons. Therefore, I make sure to open all the doors and windows an hour before turning on my system. Haven't heard a pop in years!

Have you ever read about Coriolis force causing weather systems to swirl in opposite directions above and below the equator? I wonder if south of the equator there are no pops because the electrons are trying to go back up the wire?

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 4:02 AM, Dave A said:

OK now listen up. It is a scientific fact that electrons have mass. Don't believe me look it up yourself. Now here is why wire towers in audio are so important. Copper has a face-centred cubic structure with a unit-cell edge length of 3.61A∘. What this means is that electrons can puddle in the wire dips. You hear that pop when you turn on your amp sometimes? That is the inrush of new electrons along with the puddled electrons briefly creating a surge. You have to make sure the cable towers are aligned in such a fashion that there is a constant slope, with no dips, down to the speaker from the amp so they can drain off when the amp is powered down. This will prevent those surges and their resultant pops.

I find the explanation very enlightening. So if I understand it correctly, the loudspeaker cables should be laid in exactly the same way as the ancient Romans built their water pipes/aqueducts? Because in the end, electrons are also about gravity, just like water... And the ancient Romans already avoided puddles when they built their aqueducts. So in reality, a very old and proven knowledge is being applied successfully and with astonishing results here to the loudspeaker cables.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:53 AM, Dave A said:

Not stuck but enlightened choice. Still not catching our drift?

you can start a thread of your own to make fun of what ever you want but that's not what you want to do. Shu started a thread to have discussions with others on the topic. If you are done now leave. Keep posting more of the same and you just show others what it is you really want. I mention this because I am reading post on other forums about problems here at the Klipsch forum. Respect is a two way door, to get it you have to give it.

4 minutes ago, moray james said:

you can start a thread of your own to make fun of what ever you want but that's not what you want to do. Shu started a thread to have discussions with others on the topic. If you are done now leave. Keep posting more of the same and you just show others what it is you really want. I mention this because I am reading post on other forums about problems here at the Klipsch forum. Respect is a two way door, to get it you have to give it.

OK you make a good point. Just as easy to not reply when I read something I think is silly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moray james said:

Ok, even if I was not meant, here is my humble attempt at a serious answer.
The youtube video shown above is controversially discussed, e.g. by the professor from California, "Eric", answer no. 7 with 169 answers. I don't understand everything, but one should not make it too easy, e.g. by giving the layman the impression through the video that it is "only" about the electromagnetic fields around the cable and not about the electrons in the cable itself.  Furthermore, I fear that this explanation of the video could be the basis why the speaker cables should be lifted from the ground. Behind this I suspect a notion, however gained, of a "liberation" of these electromagnetic fields by the air around them. I mean, it's not an Atlantic cable from my amp to the speakers. Distortions can certainly occur there if the shielding over 5000 km in length disturbs the fields. By the way, we don't usually have shielding on speaker cables. The electromagnetic fields pass through my carpet as well as through the air.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 9:34 PM, Deang said:

Static electricity embedded in the carpet fibers will scatter the electrons in the cable. Pretty upsetting stuff. 

Fact.

When I had my tube setup going years back I had my speaker cables lifted off the carpet also. My system had black silence between musical parts, you could hear a pin drop. Great tweak. Man I miss that system. 

• Like 1