Classic Speakers That You Also Listen To (Not Klipsch)

Curious_George

I am curious what other main loudspeakers forum members have. I'll start:

Original Advent Loudspeaker - I found these in an antique store for $100 and had to refoam the woofers. I recapped them too. Extremely inefficient, but sound awesome with power behind them. It is one of the few speakers that sounds great with no EQ or tone controls. The original tweeter is not up to modern standards, but for what it is, I don't mind it. 

NHT Super One - Another inefficient speaker, but they sound great for a small bookshelf. Believe it or not, the foam woofer surround is still intact and feels like new. 

Original AR-5 - Parts and (new) pieces to build a set of clones. Not complete. 

Advent Heritage - Refoamed woofers and recapped. Sound similar to the Original Advent, but better tweeter. Low-end is not as pronounced. 

AR-15 - Small bookshelf speaker 

Advent AV-570 powered speakers

Various components such as subwoofers, woofers, mids, tweets and horns for future projects. Most of these items are high efficiency type drivers except the raw sub drivers.

• Like 1

In my main system presently, in addition to La Scala's, I rotate between Bozak 302's and AR3's, plus(I don't know if they would be considered "classics" but I love them)Boston Acoustic CR8's. I also own a pair of Allison One's but because of their placement requirements I don't have the space for them right now. Also a pair of KLH Model Six's which I've had for a long time and try to get into the system on occasion, at which time they always pleasantly surprise me.

• Like 1

I had mentioned it in other posts, Stirling Broadcast LS 3/6 and in a small room SB LS3/5a V2. I want to sell my old 1993 Tannoy Canterbury for space reasons. They got new original surrounds 2 years ago. Then there are 2 pairs of Quad ESL57s that I would also like to sell. I regularly listen to the Stirling Broadcast next to my 1977 LaScala and UJ. The SBs are not that old, the 3/5 a are 16 years old, the LS 3/6 are 6 years old but the concept is 50 years old.

4 minutes ago, deang said:

AR-11’s are awesome. I ran them for many years. 

The original AR-5 is a cousin of the AR-11. The AR-5 has a 10" woofer though. I can't wait to get the AR-5 clones up and running. I have procured the replacement 1.5" midrange and 1" soft dome tweeter. The crossover will need to be designed from the ground up with the help of REW. 

1 inch soft dome tweeter.jpg

1.5 inch midrange.png

• Like 1

My local tube amp builder uses two Bose cabinets for his vintage Electro Voice 12trxb speakers, the ones with the K-77 tweeter in the center, and he does not use crossovers; just amp directly to the speakers. I've listened to them quite a bit. If I were to get a non Klipsch setup, that would be my choice.

Vintage Electro-Voice 12TRX 8 Ohm Pair image 1

13 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

My local tube amp builder uses two Bose cabinets for his vintage Electro Voice 12trxb speakers, the ones with the K-77 tweeter in the center, and he does not use crossovers; just amp directly to the speakers. I've listened to them quite a bit. If I were to get a non Klipsch setup, that would be my choice.

Vintage Electro-Voice 12TRX 8 Ohm Pair image 1

Are you sure there is no internal Xover somewhere within the driver? A least a low freq. blocking cap or a cap and a coil to protect the T35?

5 minutes ago, KT88 said:

Are you sure there is no internal Xover somewhere within the driver? A least a low freq. blocking cap or a cap and a coil to protect the T35?

I can't be sure. I'm just going by his description. "No crossovers!" is what he enjoyed saying.

14 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

I can't be sure. I'm just going by his description. "No crossovers!" is what he enjoyed saying.

I found this specs sheet. At least the factory had provided an Xover, one type with an internal one the other type has an external one.

https://products.electrovoice.com/binary/12TRX and 12TRXB EDS.pdf

BTW does your local amp builder use the T35 in horizontal or vertical position? If horizontal he should test the vertical position (when you see him).

BTW I really would like to listen to those being experienced with different Alnico Tannoys since 40 years. May be I would like the fact that the T35 does not radiate too much to the floor and ceiling which the Tannoys unfortunately do.

I rotate between the CF-3 v1's and a pair of ads L1230's.  Would really like to have a pair of the L1530's but they never show up around here.   I've owned the above mentioned AR11's and they were a great sounding pair of speakers.  Have also owned two pairs of Dynaco A25's and sounded pretty outstanding when "stacked".

20220204_145025.thumb.jpg.10ca8ea44e70f80a173974f6c612eb2b.jpg

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

BTW does your local amp builder use the T35 in horizontal or vertical position? If horizontal he should test the vertical position (when you see him).

One was covered, but the exposed one was at a 45 degree angle. Definitely looked a bit quirky, but the sound was excellent. I'm pretty sure he tested multiple angles, because he measures everything... probably even ants crawling on the balcony.

• Haha 1

i have used Definitive Technology speakers for 25+ years for home theater use & some 2 channel music.  my main 2ch system is klipsch of various models over the years, KG5.5, CF4 v2,  K-horns, forte2 & chorus2 & countless others in between.  currently have the chorus set up with dual SVS subs. 

not many here have heard def techs or will give them a chance, but they are excellent speakers for movies & music, the bi-polar design provides a big room filling sound that doesnt require a "sweet spot" yet still gives very good imaging & stereo separation in the sweet spot.  the earlier non powered tower models that are TL ported  (transmission line) they go down to 32hz & have decent efficiency in the upper 90's.  klipsch have a stronger mid & can go louder with less power, but if you have a decent SS amp/AVR the def techs can get just about as loud with clear full range sound that is never unbalanced or over powering in the mid range.  for movies, they can do things direct radiator speakers cant.  

i also have the powered models with built in subs that are also very nice & provide very strong bass, benefit being they have 2 subs without the need for added space of separates, but higher quality separates are a much better option if you have the space or can afford them. 

have owned many other brands of various quality levels over the years too: 

advent- legacy & baby advents

mirage

monitor audio

b&w- smaller models without tweeter on top, not impressed, sold in 2 weeks. 

polk 

infinity SM 15" woofer

boston acoustics

older sansui with 16" woofers

cerwin vega

MTX in my teenage years,  that are cerwin vega killers!

optimus pro with linaeum ribbon tweeters

other lower end stuff i cant recall or not worth mentioning. 

I have a pair of JBL 4311 studio monitors in the living room, as well as a pair of Sansui SP-2000. The JBLs I bought new around 1972, the Sansuis were given to me by a widow who was moving. Her late husband had brought them home after his tour in S.E.A. They could really do with some cap replacements.

• Like 1

I had recapped Dahlquist DQ-10s in my study for 16 years until Hurricane Michael got them. I saved the Phillips mids. Imaging (they practically invented the modern concept) was superb, and the most life-like playback of solo piano on any speaker. But, in other areas they were not so great, and often sounded like I was listening through a velvet curtain.

I replaced them with a pair of homemade speakers using 12 inch woofers, 12 inch PRs, and Great Heils-thanks to Chris on this forum for reminding me how good the Great Heils are, and his help interpreting REW measurements. Not the equal of the four Corn IIs, Klipsch derived center, and Rhythmik 12 subwoofer in the "big set", of course.

I still have a pair of Infinity Qb from 1978.

Replaced the capacitors and they do just fine. Philips mid-range driver and Infinity ribbon tweeter are very good. I wish the bass would be more defined, seems to me that heavy 10 inch paper diaphragm has limitations. But it is overall a good package. I keep them.