Classic Speakers That You Also Listen To (Not Klipsch)

Curious_George

On 9/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Curious_George said:

The original AR-5 is a cousin of the AR-11. The AR-5 has a 10" woofer though. I can't wait to get the AR-5 clones up and running. I have procured the replacement 1.5" midrange and 1" soft dome tweeter. The crossover will need to be designed from the ground up with the help of REW. 

I'll play:   New woofers/Xovers in refurbished Yamaha M-1,000 monitors, (with original Berylium Mids and Tweets), Carver Amazing Paltinum (Planar Magnetic Ribbon/4 12" woofers) Angled Open Baffle), ESS Heil AMT 1D's, EV 12" 2-ways, Peavey SP-1, Edgarhorn Titan II's. All of these bought used and refurbished. Lots of horn "stacks" (EV, JBL) with various passive and Active networks of my own creation. Used Radio Shack with fancy tweeters as desktop computer speakers along with KEF LS 50 for my Laptop with class D chip amp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'll play:   New woofers/Xovers in refurbished Yamaha M-1,000 monitors, (with original Berylium Mids and Tweets), Carver Amazing Paltinum (Planar Magnetic Ribbon/4 12" woofers) Angled Open Baffle), ESS Heil AMT 1D's, EV 12" 2-ways, Peavey SP-1, Edgarhorn Titan II's. All of these bought used and refurbished. Lots of horn "stacks" (EV, JBL) with various passive and Active networks of my own creation. Used Radio Shack with fancy tweeters as desktop computer speakers along with KEF LS 50 for my Laptop with class D chip amp.

Hey Claude - Radio Shack had a few decent drivers (woofers, mids & tweeters) back in the day. The Minimus-7's were great for their size with a sub. Still sought after today with that sturdy metal enclosure.

20 hours ago, 001 said:

i have used Definitive Technology speakers for 25+ years for home theater use & some 2 channel music.  my main 2ch system is klipsch of various models over the years, KG5.5, CF4 v2,  K-horns, forte2 & chorus2 & countless others in between.  currently have the chorus set up with dual SVS subs. 

not many here have heard def techs or will give them a chance, but they are excellent speakers for movies & music, the bi-polar design provides a big room filling sound that doesnt require a "sweet spot" yet still gives very good imaging & stereo separation in the sweet spot.  the earlier non powered tower models that are TL ported  (transmission line) they go down to 32hz & have decent efficiency in the upper 90's.  klipsch have a stronger mid & can go louder with less power, but if you have a decent SS amp/AVR the def techs can get just about as loud with clear full range sound that is never unbalanced or over powering in the mid range.  for movies, they can do things direct radiator speakers cant.  

i also have the powered models with built in subs that are also very nice & provide very strong bass, benefit being they have 2 subs without the need for added space of separates, but higher quality separates are a much better option if you have the space or can afford them. 

have owned many other brands of various quality levels over the years too: 

advent- legacy & baby advents

mirage

monitor audio

b&w- smaller models without tweeter on top, not impressed, sold in 2 weeks. 

polk 

infinity SM 15" woofer

boston acoustics

older sansui with 16" woofers

cerwin vega

MTX in my teenage years,  that are cerwin vega killers!

optimus pro with linaeum ribbon tweeters

other lower end stuff i cant recall or not worth mentioning. 

In the early 80's, I worked at Crutchfield in Jacksonville Florida. It was a great time and although we did not have the high-end stuff, I got to listen to a ton of good mid-fi gear. Good times, no doubt. When we wanted to listen to the high-end equipment, we would go over the the local "boutique", they knew who we were and they would condescend to let us listen to "real equipment". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

In the early 80's, I worked at Crutchfield in Jacksonville Florida. It was a great time and although we did not have the high-end stuff, I got to listen to a ton of good mid-fi gear. Good times, no doubt. When we wanted to listen to the high-end equipment, we would go over the the local "boutique", they knew who we were and they would condescend to let us listen to "real equipment". 

a good friend of mine worked at ultimate electronics in my city in the late 90s & early 2000s, thats where i heard def techs for the 1st time after seeing their ads in stereo review magazines.  ultimate had the traditional listening room with many other speakers lined up along a wall & a bunch of receivers/amps on another wall, you could change between any speaker/receiver with the touch of a button.  the gold woofer reference klipsch were new at that time too,  i spent a lot of time comparing all the speakers & receivers, the klipsch & other brands sounded OK but when the def techs were switched on it was easy to tell they had a much bigger, smoother, room filling sound, better bass too.  i was hooked on them right away & for the price felt they were the best speakers ultimate carried.  being in my 20's & mostly broke i was able to get floor models or blems for less than wholesale price. 

def tech was started by the guy that started polk, sandy gross, he created some nice models during his time there but just like many older brands do, sold def tech to a big mother company, its called sound united that owns lots of current brands like denon, marantz, boston, classe & many others.  quality & customer service went downhill real quick & he formed a new company called golden ear that get excellent reviews.  

lots of options for great sounding speakers out there. 

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Hey Claude - Radio Shack had a few decent drivers (woofers, mids & tweeters) back in the day. The Minimus-7's were great for their size with a sub. Still sought after today with that sturdy metal enclosure.

Mine are the bigger ones, OPTIMUS. they have some weird tweeter in there. LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

Bozak Symphony b4000...like these (mine are in storage while some house remodeling is in order):

Bozak Symphony 2.jpg

Bozak B4000.jpg

Nice basement! I know that drop ceiling and cinderblock wall... Mine is similar, but shoebox shaped. Runs the entire length and width of the house. It was finished by the previous owner and my main listening area is a bit smaller than I would like, but still a good size space. 

Nice speakers too. 

JBL SM50's with S4 load for the classic JBL horn studio sound, pre L100.

Bozak B302a in large Eakin & Associates solid oak enclosures. These are very different than my beloved Klipsch and JBL and really serve well for background music, they have very natural timbre.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:15 AM, parlophone1 said:

A bit off topic, but I have listened several of GoldenEar speakers in last couple of years. Almost all floorstanders perform very well.

not off topic, the thread is about other brands of speakers you listen to.

i have heard many polks back in the day (late 80's-2000s) they were all middle of the line models but they sounded pretty good for their size/price.  when def tech came out i listened in audio stores before i could afford them, they were great sounding speakers for music & movies.  def tech ran its course with many good models over the years,  but when they were bought out by sound united the quality went downhill compared to the 7000 or earlier models.  mr gross then started golden ear,  i have only briefly heard the smaller bookshelf models but they all get 5 star reviews from everything ive read over the last ~5 years.  will grab a set if/when they pop up on the used market but they rarely come up for sale.