New Vinyl vs. Old Vinyl

Mighty Favog

So, now that I've put my Yamaha PF800 through a tune-up (new Jico stylus, belt and re-touched some soldier joints) I have a question.

The Okki Nokki Model One has done wonders for the old vinyl currently in the stable. You can definitely tell which album was played with the Shure V15xMR and which ones were bought used or used with my backups; being an Ortofon VMS30 MkII and a Stanton P888ss all mounted and ready to go in their own headshell). But my question is, is currently made vinyl as good, better or worse than old vinyl in terms of sound quality? In terms of the music being liked not withstanding.

What say ye?

• Like 3

Good deal... Always liked the vintage being abit more ridgid than the vinyl that was newer and had more flex to it, thinner.

The higher the gram weight, the higher the quality of the recording in general. Not sacred but what I observed.

Exceptions abound.180 grams seem to be right popular.

Thanks and tell how your TT is sounding...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

But my question is, is currently made vinyl as good, better or worse than old vinyl in terms of sound quality? In terms of the music being liked not withstanding.

What say ye?

I am sure many here can answer to this question better than me.

The thing is the sound quality of new vinyl in general varies all over. A few of most important reasons are the source of music being pressed on vinyl and the production process or the facility where the vinyl is being produced.

I have had good and bad experience from both, new and old vinyl. Old LPs were always washed in Okki Nokki before they went on my platter. I value my styluses 😀.

In short, before buying any particular album on LP, I try to investigate a bit. Like going on Steve Hoffman forums etc.

• Like 2

It is sometimes disappointing how bad the quality of today's vinyl pressings is. Sealed LP's, for example Marillion's " an hour before it gets's dark "or Tears for Fears " Tipping Point sound rather mediocre, crackle and pop at the first play. Also Imelda May's album " 11 past the hour " sounds better but also crackles and pop in some places. Even my "Nitty Gritty" record washing machine doesn´t help. Have tried it. Of course, this does not apply to all new releases but, based on my over 45 years of experience with vinyl, I can clearly say: Get an original pressing rather than a current repressing, if you´re looking for Vinyl from the 70´s or later releases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most all modern vinyl I have tried have been disappointing. Even half speeds and some lacquer releases.

I mean not all... but much of it.

I would be willing to pay premiums for good quality, but not for mere 'newness'.

• Like 3

Analogue Productions had some exceptionally manufactured LPs about five years ago. I managed to get a few before they went 'under" for reasons I don't know about. They rivaled Japanese and half-speed pressings. If new are available now, they cost an arm and TWO legs. My first MFSL, their first of "Fly Like an Eagle" was still fantastic before being packed away two years ago. Think that one is truly analog.

What blew me away was a early 70s pressing of "461 Ocean Blvd" or an Alan Parsons Canadian second pressing of "Tales of..." that do not lack in any level of clarity or frequency response while excelling with the placement and separation of the soundstage with my Forte IIIs in an appx 15 X 20 room. Two old low mileage ELPs after going through the ultrasound process made me "feel" their music also.

Zeppelin, as @dirtmudd has repeatedly pointed out never had that good clean sound like Steely Dan LPs did. Still sounds better now than on my circa `78 three piece Panasonic stereo back then.

Think a lot is dependent on the recording, mastering and then the pressing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Might be Back in Business!

Before I packed up their inventory was down to less than one page at that sister site where I got mine.

wiki said they were done/finished, ha I've learned to steer clear of them since!

still in business!

https://store.acousticsounds.com/s/448/Analogue_Productions/

That YouTube video was worth the watch. He mentioned something about the neo project, sounds like it could be a good source to identify a good cut. I'll have to go back and look up the actual site.

It doesn't both me that mofi cut from dsd, but that it sounds like they were charging way more than they should for what should be a simple process that others are charging way less for. I'd like to dable into some of those sources for some of my vinyl purchases, but in the end, high res from HD Tracks at $15-$25 an album sounds good to me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

On 9/8/2022 at 6:23 AM, MicroMara said:

It is sometimes disappointing how bad the quality of today's vinyl pressings is. Sealed LP's, for example Marillion's " an hour before it gets's dark "or Tears for Fears " Tipping Point sound rather mediocre, crackle and pop at the first play. Also Imelda May's album " 11 past the hour " sounds better but also crackles and pop in some places. Even my "Nitty Gritty" record washing machine doesn´t help. Have tried it. Of course, this does not apply to all new releases but, based on my over 45 years of experience with vinyl, I can clearly say: Get an original pressing rather than a current repressing, if you´re looking for Vinyl from the 70´s or later releases.

Same here. My noisiest albums are the new pressings I have with crackling and popping and I clean every album, new or old before played. Most of my original albums are amazingly quiet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

$15-$25 an album sounds

i prefer buying vintage vinyl at that price point some reissues also.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

doesn't both me that mofi cut from dsd

thats not the issue with it only the price point.. at one point way back when it was all analog other than a few that where all digital original master. the mofi reisuses not being all analog is other than the known digi masters.. so your best off with DMM reissiues 

• Like 4

IMG_20220911_141915.thumb.jpg.090a34fca600f99cb240bc57ebe575f4.jpgIMG_20220911_141932.thumb.jpg.ddba1cccab3111f157092777f11076cf.jpg

17 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

i prefer buying vintage vinyl at that price point some reissues also.

thats not the issue with it only the price point.. at one point way back when it was all analog other than a few that where all digital original master. the mofi reisuses not being all analog is other than the known digi masters.. so your best off with DMM reissiues 

$10 ,$10 , $12 , $18=$50 out the door $40 tax included..

All vintage vinyl is professionally VPI cleaned and placed in a new poly-lined inner sleeve (along with the original inner sleeve if available) and a new outer sleeve.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

that´s the way it should be Mike

I'm a frequent flyer get a discount

on all vinyl new or used..They make their $$$ on vintage vinyl..

I have paid more there for first press U.S. , UK , UK much more..

But early presses I'm always on the look for... My local independent record store recently

scored 6000+ vintage vinyl. From a professor who traveled back and forth from the U.K... And there slowly going through them..

I get a heads up on that collection. Told them what I'm looking for...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...