New Vinyl vs. Old Vinyl

Mighty Favog

It wasn't that hard to make. Used the platter and bearing from an old turntable I got from a thrift shop. I was going to make a vacuum wand but but found one already to go from Vinyl Vac for less that 30 bucks. It helps that my Dad has a metal working shop and was able machine the spindles that the vacuum wand rides on. The base is made from a piece of 1 1/4 plywood shelving that I had laying around. The shelving came with a layer of rubber on top that makes it easy to clean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple thoughts from a guy who has been playing vinyl for over 50 years: todays remastered vinyl is a crapshoot. For example, I have two different "remastered" copies of the classic Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers. One is significally better sounding than the other. I'm not talking about noise, but the actual recording itself. Originals are always a good bet, but finding clean copies is getting harder and harder.

About noisy vinyl, aka pops and clicks: I have found that the more expensive stylus profiles track much better and are a lot quieter, due to sitting deeper in the groove and further away from the surface noise. I'm talking about nude shabata, or fine line profiles. Vinyl is still one of the formats where spending more money on your playback rig will result in better sonics. Like it or don't.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

A couple thoughts from a guy who has been playing vinyl for over 50 years: todays remastered vinyl is a crapshoot. For example, I have two different "remastered" copies of the classic Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers. One is significally better sounding than the other. I'm not talking about noise, but the actual recording itself. Originals are always a good bet, but finding clean copies is getting harder and harder.

About noisy vinyl, aka pops and clicks: I have found that the more expensive stylus profiles track much better and are a lot quieter, due to sitting deeper in the groove and further away from the surface noise. I'm talking about nude shabata, or fine line profiles. Vinyl is still one of the formats where spending more money on your playback rig will result in better sonics. Like it or don't.

my local independent record store

All vintage vinyl is professionally VPI cleaned and placed in a new poly-lined inner sleeve (along with the original inner sleeve if available) and a new outer sleeve

16472210292003993519492840860417.thumb.jpg.7f232391ee970dccba744b7181eb29a8.jpgIMG_20220706_132358_01.thumb.jpg.76cedcee4a288fefab11944948e87866.jpg

And it's also a crap shoot with vintage vinyl on sound quality..

as you can see in my previous post .. the price tags you get what you pay for.. but always buyer beware where you buy your vinyl!!!!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 9/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, JohnJ said:

Analogue Productions had some exceptionally manufactured LPs about five years ago. I managed to get a few before they went 'under" for reasons I don't know about. They rivaled Japanese and half-speed pressings. If new are available now, they cost an arm and TWO legs. My first MFSL, their first of "Fly Like an Eagle" was still fantastic before being packed away two years ago. Think that one is truly analog.

What blew me away was a early 70s pressing of "461 Ocean Blvd" or an Alan Parsons Canadian second pressing of "Tales of..." that do not lack in any level of clarity or frequency response while excelling with the placement and separation of the soundstage with my Forte IIIs in an appx 15 X 20 room. Two old low mileage ELPs after going through the ultrasound process made me "feel" their music also.

Zeppelin, as @dirtmudd has repeatedly pointed out never had that good clean sound like Steely Dan LPs did. Still sounds better now than on my circa `78 three piece Panasonic stereo back then.

Think a lot is dependent on the recording, mastering and then the pressing.

Analog Productions never went under. Do you mean Classic Records, which AP bought. What you are describing sound exactly like Classic. 

I’ve bought some new albums in the past few years that seemed to have a few issues.

Most recently was a copy of The Lumineers latest that has what sounds like a scratch through part of one of the tracks.

It’s not visibly scratched and it made the sound on the first listen out of the wrapper.

• Sad 1

When I started buying LPs again in about `17 I experienced that dramatically clean and great Analogue productions sound. It was the Vaughan Brothers, tried a Hybrid SACD from them also. Spent a lot at Acoustic Sounds that year.

Their stock of the AP products dried up. At one point the AP website did not pull up anymore (they had one just like mofi did). Prices on the Doors, SRV and Blood, Sweat & Tears boxed sets I was looking at jumped high the next time I looked. There at the KS shop, amazon and Discogs. I saw stated as fact that they had closed at more than one www site around then. Didn't look any more because my finances changed.

That's where I got that incorrect knowledge that was covered here already @Travis In Austin 

I don't look at wiki any more at all now. It can be manipulated too easily!

Just  pre order Guns N Roses UYI I and II, not sure who remaster or is reproducing the vinyl, but claims are remastered for the first-time ever from high-resolution 96khz 24-bit transfers from teh original stereo 1/2-inch analog master tapes.  

If they always had these high-rez tapes, why were the original release released with this resolution? 

Looking forward to how these sound. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:05 AM, kevinmi said:

I noticed the same thing with the Shure M97xE cartridge.  Scratchy records were less scratchy, and good records were pretty much silent.  Online reviews mention this, too.  I don't know whether the stylus rides higher or lower than the level in the groove where the scratches are most noticeable, but the difference between the M97 and other cartridges that I've used was very obvious. Sometimes I'd have a friend over, and would tell them that we were listening to a CD, just to see the look on their face when I got up to flip the LP over.

Another thing is the groove sound in the runout part.  It's just a faint "tick... tick... tick...".  On a few records, it's almost inaudible, which is in stark contrast with the loud noises I'd get from the horrible portable record players we used when I was a teenager.  I'm really happy with the M97, as it's quite pleasant to listen to.  I've read that an MC cartridge would give me a big improvement in the sound, but for the once a week or so that I spin an LP, the M97xE is just right for me.  As well, I bought a couple of styli while they were still available, so I should be good for years of enjoying it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

• Like 2