Ambisonic recordings

Marvel

I've only heard of this on the periphery of audio recording, but it's been around since the'70s. Was doing some lightweight straightening while the body heals... shuffling CDs... came across ones that showed up from somewhere. Not even in a case/sleeve. It's the second Cowboy Junkies CD, The Trinity Sessions.It was recorded with an Ambisonic mic (single) and the soundfield is spooky good. Since I'm only using my Heresy IIs at the moment (they are great speakers... thanks Klipsch!) I could hear instruments out past the left and right physical speakers.

There are lots of options, plenty of software available. Some classical recordings have been made. It looks like the technology has caught up with the research.

Dolby uses a similar, although not the same tech for atmos placement of sounds in specific locations.

I'm looking for some feedback on what other here know or have heard.

Bruce

• Marvel changed the title to Ambisonic recordings
16 hours ago, Marvel said:

I've only heard of this on the periphery of audio recording, but it's been around since the'70s. Was doing some lightweight straightening while the body heals... shuffling CDs... came across ones that showed up from somewhere. Not even in a case/sleeve. It's the second Cowboy Junkies CD, The Trinity Sessions.It was recorded with an Ambisonic mic (single) and the soundfield is spooky good. Since I'm only using my Heresy IIs at the moment (they are great speakers... thanks Klipsch!) I could hear instruments out past the left and right physical speakers.

There are lots of options, plenty of software available. Some classical recordings have been made. It looks like the technology has caught up with the research.

Dolby uses a similar, although not the same tech for atmos placement of sounds in specific locations.

I'm looking for some feedback on what other here know or have heard.

Bruce

I have that cd also. Going to check it out this evening. 

There a very nice Lou Reed cover on it: Sweet Jane. Back then, it was a hit single in Belgium. 

Here's a Rode ambisonic microphone:

NTSF1-large.jpg.auto~2.jpg

NTSF1-large.jpg.auto.webp

A ten conductor cable splits into four XLRs. There's different formats, but you can, from what I understand, extract stereo, 5.1, 7.1.2... etc. From an audio only perspective, that might be an easier format to work with than Dolby atmos for immersive audio.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Bruce will like this:

Trinity Sessions was with a Calrec Soundfield brand microphone for the instruments, and a Klipsch Pro Heresy for Margo's vocals who was 30' away, somewhat isolated with headphones for monitors. Recorded on a 2 - track Sony Betamax with an outboard digital processor (modified Nak). 

611287429_TrinitySesseionPhoto.jpg.d86255739bede7337ecfbf857e540d74.jpg

Margo Timmins was positioned about 30 feet from the main mic singing into another Soundfield mic. This was then fed into the Klipsch Heresy monitor placed in front of the main Soundfield mic.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 8:55 PM, Marvel said:

I've only heard of this on the periphery of audio recording, but it's been around since the'70s. Was doing some lightweight straightening while the body heals... shuffling CDs... came across ones that showed up from somewhere. Not even in a case/sleeve. It's the second Cowboy Junkies CD, The Trinity Sessions.

So that’s where that CD went.😂