Finally getting a round tuit...starting my room treatments

babadono

45 minutes ago, babadono said:

the imaging is, I hate to use the superlative, superb. But maybe I just have never had a really well set up system. The room is getting quieter and quieter as more treatments are installed of course and is starting to get spooky and non echoic.

That’s Great…👍🙂

I like to use recordings with solo Acoustic Double Bass and solo Drum recordings and Male Vocals to gauge the region in the 20Hz - 300Hz region for accuracy, clarity/detail and image realism/focus.  This helps to know when I have the SBIR and Room Modes optimized because the imaging accuracy/focus along with clarity/detail of the instruments and vocals will have very high degree of realism. The Speakers will simply disappear and seem to be silent while a 3-dimensional space is created with good recordings.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

The room is getting quieter and quieter as more treatments are installed of course and is starting to get spooky and non echoic. I found that one of my biggest problems was the stairwell to the up stairs. If I close the basement door it pretty much stops that echo chamber from interfering with the room. But I don't think I would have ever discovered that if I did not start treating the room because it was so echoic.

Absolutely that has always been my experience as well…. When you start cleaning up some of the room’s acoustical issues some other acoustical problems will start to reveal themselves because they were being masked by the previous issues. It’s absolutely a process that often requires some trial and error discovery testing.

To my way of thinking artificial reverb and/or other effects can always be added. I know purists would say no way to that but I'm not in that camp. After all we only hear what some recording engineer thought we should.

In my 2-channel listening room my goal is to have a live open spacious enveloping feeling (think larger space than the actual room size) but without echoes/reverb unless of course its in the recording.

What are you getting at viv a vis the high freq. beaming?

It’s an indicator especially with horn systems like Klipsch that the treatments are absorbing the higher frequencies to early in time leading to an anechoic like effect in the high frequencies. When this is balanced right the horns should not feel like they are beaming and you will begin to experience a completely natural enveloping spacious effect from the room which benefits 2-channel listening greatly.

miketn

FYI……I have found this to be an excellent CD to assist in optimizing the loudspeaker/room setup and to help guide in the use/placement of acoustical treatments. The Individual Instrument Test, Pink Noise test, Spot Frequency and Frequency Sweep Test are very helpful in my experiences along with the LEDR test as well.  You may be able to do a lot of the test with other similar recordings or signal generating methods you may have.  I wish this disc had an Upright Bass recording as well as the Bass Guitar recording but I have other recordings that have excellent Upright Bass recordings when needed.  The Imaging from this Disc recording are excellent for judging Soundstage/Imaging of the System/Setup as well.

System Solution Booklet_web_ENG.pdf

System Solution Recording Photos_web.pdf

miketn

41B80455-D22A-4B43-AD33-E3E5C9C0E720.thumb.jpeg.6948b0ebf45eb5158967913fe0784d6a.jpeg

• 5 months later...

@babadono The room looks great…!!!

I’m curious about your corner treatments behind the Jubs as far as did they come with the wood reflective front or is that something you did yourself and what difference did you experience if any from your earlier all absorptive panels versus these combination absorptive-diffusive/reflective panels in the corner locations..?

miketn 🙂

Mike, those are diffusors from Music City Acoustics. They publish DIY plans on their website but also offer pre made for reasonable price so I just bought theirs. I don't need another project. The finishing to make the pre mades match the decor in my house will be enough. What you see in pics is still as built raw. I really don't discern much difference with or without them installed...but I like how they look so no harm, no foul. No measurements yet either. So no the bass traps did not come with, they are add ons. They have a cleat on the top and they just sit there. Probably prudent in So Cal to fasten them more securely, earthquakes and all that jazz. I have some other diffusors from Music City that are not installed yet that will go right over the MLP.

https://www.musiccityacoustics.com/shop/diffusers

• Like 1

• 6 months later...