Who runs the headphone market these days?

The History Kid

Sadly it seems my Klipsch Status headphones are on their way out the door.  They've served me well over the years, but I can't justify repairing them with the wear on the ear cups and the slight irritation they had brought with wearing them.

These days, Klipsch doesn't seem to make headphones anymore.  What I had liked about the Status and Reference One's was their ability to cover the spectrum pretty well.  What are some good headphones under $500 right now that fit that bill?  Wired preferred.  The only other brand I've considered for any kind of critical listening is Sennheiser, but I've been so out of headphones late I don't know if they've changed their quality too.

Ideas, Klipsch fam?

Something to consider when buying over ears is that a lot of the good sounding hard to drive models/topologies NEED external amplification to be driven and achieve good results.

Both campfire in ears and focal over ears are VERY efficient... like Klipsch, and I like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deang said:

the thread got deleted without explanations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Threads and posts get deleted around here?? Are you sure you're talking about this place? 🙃

My interest has been peaked as well on quality IEM's I tried looking up those x20's seems they're no longer made seems Klipsch only has one model now the T5 wireless. 

I've currently put an order in on a pair of HD 569 S's, just to see if I like the general sound of the Senny's.  I'm familiar enough with the brand, just kind of out of it on how they translate to the Klipsch.  If not, Focal might be where I go.  I can't bring myself to buy used on headphones for a variety of reasons.  If I don't like the 569's I'll just use them at work since I need new ones there too.

Meanwhile, I think what I enjoyed about the Status was the powerful sound they put out, but I'm not opposed to trading off a bit of that power for clarity.  These headphones will always be running off of the Parasound preamp, which did wonders for virtually every headphone I've been able to get my hands on.  Will keep all of these suggestions and others in mind as I unravel all this.

• Like 1

Cheap and relatively good and no need for a headphone amp are Sennheisers HD559. All of the cans in this lineup until 600 have the same sound signature.

You will not be sorry for buying yours, but if after that you want more...there are lots of other stuff. Good thing here you can order separate pair of ear cushions when you need them. They are all relatively sturdy for a plastic cans, but if something broken, you wont loose much money and can get another pair.

I have Beyers Pro, they are more sturdier, but at 250 ohm they need a separate amp.