Blending sub with Cornwalls?

Klipschtastic

So I recently posted asking what sub to get and ended up with an SVS SB 3000. Now I’m trying to decide what adjustments make to blend it in.  I don’t have much experience with subs but so far this one really seems nice. It already blends pretty well with low pass set at 60hz on my receiver. I have turned of the parametric eq because Im guessing I would need a mic and room measuring software to really use that feature. So what advice do you all have for tweaking the sub?  Also do you ever use the bass knob on your amp while also using a sub or should I just adjust the level of the sub and just stay on pure audio or tone defeat?

• Like 1

You can tune it using your ear... if you are  confident in your what you are trying to accomplish.

I've always found it personally reqrding to allow the speaker handle as much of the range as possible, and let the sub fill in what might be lacking below that.

• Like 4

I agree with Schu. Doing it by ear is the best way. I think 60 hz is a bit high for cornwalls. Unless you have a bass dip or some other anomaly at your listening position, the CW should be pretty strong down to the upper 30s or at least to 40 hz. Even with my LS II, I low pass at 50 hz because they have really good presence down to the upper 40 hz range, the CW IV should be even better.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Klipschtastic said:

I have turned of the parametric eq because Im guessing I would need a mic and room measuring software to really use that feature. So what advice do you all have for tweaking the sub?

You might want to get REW (Room EQ Wizard, which is free software) and a calibrated microphone (such as a UMIK-1) so that you can take measurements to quantify the affect of different settngs and changes.

REW is not an easy piece of software to master but it is marvellous. It helped me determine some of the challenges associated with my listening room and assess room treatments. Using it, I was able to ascertain that 1 subwoofer was never going to be adequate for my room. It also helped with subwoofer placement and configuring my DSP (a MiniDSP 2x4HD).

20 hours ago, Klipschtastic said:

37hz. Man that’s low. I like mine at 50-60 so far but sometimes 60 does seem to over emphasize that freq range. When I use the low pass on the SVS app The overall volume of the bass seems to dip a bit vs using it on the amp. 

Yeah - I think it is also room dependent.  I love bass but not bass bloat so I wanted to make sure I don't start to get any boominess.  

On 9/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, Rayman said:

I have 2 SVS sb3000 paired with cwIV l used a sound pressure meter and ended up with a 40hz low pass / 24db slop -15 volume sub setting for a bass response of +-3db from 20 to 200hz those subs pair really well with the Cornwalls. 

That’s about where my one sub is set just from listening and adjusting to taste!

• Like 3