Meet Roy Delgado

henry4841

I have a question for Roy, Chief bone head. You are a sound engineer so I am asking  if what I was taught correct by my instructor about how engineers pick an electronic part for a circuit with the electronic class I took? Who better to ask such a question than the Chief Klipsch engineer himself. I look forward to hearing your response. I just found the interview you did with Guttenberg on youtube. Good way to meet the Chief bone head at Klipsch as a real person. 

16 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

I hope he throws us some crumbs of his audio knowledge like Nelson Pass does on the diyaudio forum.  

I´m sure it won´t happen.  5 star chefs also do not reveal their recipes but serve a menu for the fine gourmet

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

I´m sure it won´t happen.  5 star chefs also do not reveal their recipes but serve a menu for the fine gourmet

I'm not so sure. It worked out well for Nelson Pass. It's made him a lot of money. I am not talking company secrets, just good old fashioned audio knowledge in general. He has more than he needs. I hope he shares a few crumbs with us. Good for us, good for Klipsch. Word gets out this forum has a great audio engineer sharing a few crumbs and good people will flock to this forum to hear what he has to say about Klipsch horns. Perhaps buy a few speakers. Keep our fingers crossed. 

Exactly what this forum needs to keep it on the right path, IMHO. A Roy Delgado thread. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, deang said:

I was getting ready to say the same. When Pass worked for Adcom and Threshold, how much company technical info do you think he was throwing out for public consumption.

He was just an upstart then working for someone else. Since maturing he has published an number of different articles in audio circles sharing with electronic geeks some of his knowledge. Since 1977.   https://firstwatt.com/articles.html  But then he started his own company. It's helped make him super rich. Big ranch on the California seacoast.  Roy may need to get Klipsch corporate to agree with the idea. I see it as a good selling point for Klipsch myself. Just a few crumbs, no classified top secrets. 

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Hey guys, lets all ask for his participation on this forum and perhaps he will feel sorry for us and throw us a bone every now and then. I would be happy for just a bone throwed my way.

The @Chief bonehead is on this forum just about every day when he has time and shares quite a bit of knowledge I have learned a lot from him as I'm sure others have too. I do like the idea of a "Chief's thread" a place where he could share ideas or answer questions but I'm sure he's a busy man, probably pops in and posts when possible already. 

Just FYI there are quite a few videos / interviews floating around of Roy Delgado where he shares a ton of information, maybe we could start a thread consolidating those into one place as a resource? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The @Chief bonehead is on this forum just about every day when he has time and shares quite a bit of knowledge I have learned a lot from him as I'm sure others have too. I do like the idea of a "Chief's thread" a place where he could share ideas or answer questions but I'm sure he's a busy man, probably pops in and posts when possible already. 

Just FYI there are quite a few videos / interviews floating around of Roy Delgado where he shares a ton of information, maybe we could start a thread consolidating those into one place as a resource? 

We are called greedy boyz on Nelson's thread. The ones looking for one more crumb. 

Below is a couple of video's Roy has done with Steve Guttenberg. They have already been posted numerous times at different places on this site but this thread may make it easier for newbies to find. Roy Delgado is the chief audio engineer that works for Klipsch. In other words the chief technical man.. About this thread: I thought why  not. Diyaudio's biggest draw is the Pass topic thread on their site. They have one of the best amplifier guys in the business there. We have one of the best horn guys in the audio business here on this site. Right now he is more or less watching under a not so hidden handle as a moderator. 

I thought this may be a good spot to ask Klipsch audio information at. I have a first question perhaps someone can answer. I have not kept up with the advances in horn design for the last few years, decades even perhaps. What is the difference between the Klipsch Tractrix horn and let's say my 86 LS's  horns. Is it something like what is called elsewhere as waveguides? Probably a simple question many on this forum can answer without Roy jumping in but if we keep this thread on Klipsch matters who knows he may speak up now and then. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

No comments or answers to my question of the Tractrix horn vs old speaker horns? Nobody knows or deep secured Klipsch top secret?

Have a graphic in my pc data  Tractrix vs Exponential Horn , but not the requested 86 Ls that you were asking for

crowhurst_basic_audio_vol1-94.gif.cf7f7d13ed5c337e62a3872e3039eebb.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Thanks, need to let some of that soak in. In Roy's talk with Steve he mentioned some work done on the Tractrix horn but no specifics. 

I believe the Chief had a hand in implementing the Tractrix horns first used in the Quartet, forte II Chorus II but did not develop them, can't remember who did off the top of my head, Dr Edgar? He did create and patent the "mumps" though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I was speaking towards Klipschs' influencer I believe I read that somewhere long ago.

As I understand things (I probably read the same thing that you did), Edgar's Speaker Builder article in February, 1981 caught the eye of someone at Klipsch. @Chief bonehead would know for certain.

There is another horn design that has been popular with diy'ers the last decade or so. Will not mention it's name being this forum is all about Klipsch but it would not surprise me if it is not a clone of the Tractrix horn designed and developed by the engineers at Klipsch. One thing I would like to see offered by Klipsch is a mid driver with a phenolic diaphragm and possible an after market polyamide diaphragm tweeter for the older Heritage speakers using the AA network. Should not be hard to do for the audio guys at Klipsch. Nothing wrong with the drivers in my 86' LaScala's it's just I like the newer plastic diaphragms better. Smoother sounding to me. I do have another speaker system with a larger mid horn and a phenolic diaphragm and it does have a better sound stage. When it comes to horns bigger is better. Most will agree with that statement. But the stock LaScala's have plenty enough sound stage with the correct amplifier. 

Be nice if Roy would tell us more about the horn design called Tractrix. I would love to hear more from the sound engineers at Klipsch on this website. Also more about the other speakers they sell other than the Heritage line. What you get with the Heritage line is a mid horn. Nothing like the sound of horns.