Meet Roy Delgado

henry4841

24 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think I already named one of them.

Again, I don't want to name any names, but at least a few of them have tried to participate in various audio forums and been thrown-off of them, either for blatant commercial self-promotion or for rudeness to other members.

12 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Again, I don't want to name any names, but at least a few of them have tried to participate in various audio forums and been thrown-off of them, either for blatant commercial self-promotion or for rudeness to other members.

I think I know exactly who you speak of. Michigan dude for sure.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's possible. Meaning we have been around this industry for a while, aye?

I was specifically referring to the Southern Michigan Woofer and Tweeter Marching Society and talks given by Dr. Geddes and of course the ABX guys, Dave Clark et al.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 9/20/2022 at 5:48 AM, henry4841 said:

Guys we have enticed an audio giant to interact with us on this forum! I am honored to have him take the time to do so. Not many have a chance to hear what an audio engineer has to say. I think it is great for him and great for Klipsch as well. The little business I had most of my entire life was built around word of mouth. I cannot think of a better way for Klipsch to have word of mouth advertisement than on this forum. Roy has a big megaphone for word of mouth promotion of Klipsch products here. We get to hear directly from the guy designing the horns and speakers. Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement in my book. What you guys think?

Although I appreciate the kind words, I am an audio novice. In about 1989, I was introducing a young engineer to mr K. The young engineer told Paul that he was so eager and honored to work for mr k. He told Paul that he wanted to get to know as much as he could from mr K because Paul knew so much. In typical fashion, Paul paused for a few minutes before he replied to his remark. And I will never forget this……Paul told the young engineer, I’m still learning. So you see, if you are honest about yourself…..you never stop learning. 

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

With an overly simplistic analysis of appearance only, it looks like a conical horn with a Tractrix Curve finish. A hybrid. If you read "What's so sacred about exponential horns" by Don Keele (who apparently did not get along well with PWK when he worked there). The idea of hybrids happened during his time at Electro Voice under Ray Newman's leadership. I have met all 4 of these gentlemen at on time or another since 1976 (also Saul Marantz as a 5th). Great evolution of the ART and science!

Way overly simplistic…..but ok. If you say so. 

• Klipsch Employees
11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I had lunch with Don, back in 2014. We talked about his current designs mostly, but he did say that he could have designed some new horns for Klilpsch, but PWK wouldn't let him for some reason. IDK. As far as I know, it was John Pope's PHd thesis, with math and measurements done in the Hope Anechoic Chamber (exponential vs. Tractrix) using an EV DH-1a driver that convinced Paul that tractrix was better, which opened the door to Roy designing the first Tractrix horn for the Forte II and the Chorus II (which I owned for a while). There's a published article with smoke in the picture about it somewhere.

Claude. I’m going to have to start calling 50 cent. Your stories are about 50% accurate…..lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Claude. I’m going to have to start calling 50 cent. Your stories are about 50% accurate…..lol!

That's what I get for not reading earlier responses before posting. I'm happy with 50%, but only half the time!  HAH

As to "Fitty Cent," I'd be happy with only half his money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Although I appreciate the kind words, I am an audio novice. In about 1989, I was introducing a young engineer to mr K. The young engineer told Paul that he was so eager and honored to work for mr k. He told Paul that he wanted to get to know as much as he could from mr K because Paul knew so much. In typical fashion, Paul paused for a few minutes before he replied to his remark. And I will never forget this……Paul told the young engineer, I’m still learning. So you see, if you are honest about yourself…..you never stop learning. 

Thanks Chief. This is what I was after when starting this thread. Roy's interaction with us. Anybody have any questions they would like to ask about Klipsch R&D this is the place. Good clean conversation of things that really should matter on this forum. Who knows we may get an answer from the Chief every now and then. 

32 minutes ago, deang said:

Man, that one could either way. I predict 49 cents or 51 cents. 

I think the udder is dry from all of us milking that one. We need a different sacrificial cow to discuss.

How about the blending of passive networks' roll-off characteristic in conjunction with the acoustic roll-off of a horn coupled with different driver characteristics, including the impedance peak?

Good start for the Chief or no??

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

How about the blending of passive networks' roll-off characteristic in conjunction with the acoustic roll-off of a horn coupled with different driver characteristics, including the impedance peak?

Well, you can Zobel an impedance peak https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/187697-measurement-systems/&do=findComment&comment=2436802. As for the rest, I can usually model horn response and driver response, and compensate for them, in DSP, unless they're really unusual.

• Like 1