Meet Roy Delgado

henry4841

Does anyone know how long Roy has been working for Klipsch? It has to be 25 or more years since PWK has been dead for 20 years and was 98 when he died. PWK taught him his craft so it has to be 25 to 30 years or longer. I would say he has built his own legacy by now or Klipsch would have not kept him. 

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Does anyone know how long Roy has been working for Klipsch? It has to be 25 or more years since PWK has been dead for 20 years and was 98 when he died. PWK taught him his craft so it has to be 25 to 30 years or longer. I would say he has built his own legacy by now or Klipsch would have not kept him. 

I believe since 1986?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/roy-delgado-279b656

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I believe since 1986?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/roy-delgado-279b656

That is the year I bought my speakers! Guys 36 years is a long time to be employed at a company. He must be doing something right to draw a paycheck from Klipsch that long, you would think. Klipsch is not some mom and pop speaker manufacturer.  Some have said I am, excuse the redneck way of saying this, kissing his ***. I do not see it that way. I see it as he has not been given the credit he deserves. He is a present day giant in horn speaker design,  Not meant to diminish PWK's legend in any way. PWK was his teacher and it appears he has learned his craft very well to have survived at Klipsch this long. I am just giving credit where credit belongs.  

• Klipsch Employees

The Cheif BUTThead is the kind of dude you call when you need a friend. He is mine and I call on him from time to time. I have learned more from Roy than most anyone else in audio. We started our friendship in a car listening to audio systems as judges. I talked a lot, he listened....a bit later he hired me to work in the lab. That was 23y ago. I miss working with him, but am glad he is no longer my boss. The butthead. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Trey Cannon said:

The Cheif BUTThead is the kind of dude you call when you need a friend. He is mine and I call on him from time to time. I have learned more from Roy than most anyone else in audio. We started our friendship in a car listening to audio systems as judges. I talked a lot, he listened....a bit later he hired me to work in the lab. That was 23y ago. I miss working with him, but am glad he is no longer my boss. The butthead. 

I can say the same about some of my ex bosses. 🙂  Of course in a nice way as you have done. Have not heard much from you Trey. We could learn a lot from you as well as Roy on this thread. Do participate and share your audio knowledge with us. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:58 PM, Edgar said:

I think that the world has finally figured out that horns don't have to sound like "horns" if they're designed properly. Modern computational power and finite element analysis have made that possible. 3D printing has made prototyping much easier.

We do have amazing tools to work with. I have a 1904 Zeiss catalog that talks about Planar an Tessar lenses. They are still being made today, with derivations, using newer glass formulas and a billion ray traces/second in simulation. I understood that it took over 2 YEARS to do the lens math by hand, so without modern tools, I think Roy would still only be working on Iteration #7 of the K-402, with 63 more to go before the "Eureka!" moment. All good things withstand the ultimate test: the test of TIME!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

We do have amazing tools to work with. I have a 1904 Zeiss catalog that talks about Planar an Tessar lenses. They are still being made today, with derivations, using newer glass formulas and a billion ray traces/second in simulation.

In 1993 I developed a signal processing technique that is so computationally-intensive that I thought I would never see it run in real-time during my lifetime. By about 2010 it could run in real-time on a telephone. It's an amazing time to be an engineer.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Edgar said:

In 1993 I developed a signal processing technique that is so computationally-intensive that I thought I would never see it run in real-time during my lifetime. By about 2010 it could run in real-time on a telephone. It's an amazing time to be an engineer.

Back in my days in Automotive Electronics, the micro code was written in Assembly Language because of ROM limitations. Assembly language is one level up from computer machine language. Programming in it is like trying to run a marathon on your kneecaps with no pads!!

Now that memory is cheap and plentiful, is seem C+ or C++, or whatever derivation exists is the darling of the coders. It's memory capacity that allows for even inefficient/sloppy code to still work because hardware is so cheap.

In 1996, I paid $500 for a full size PCMCIA drive, the size of a cigarette pack for my Kodak DCS-420 digital camera ($21,000 in today's money for only 1.5 BAD Megapixels). The drive had a whopping 100 Megabyte capacity, which was Amazing at the time as to how "small" it was. Now you can get 100,000 times that capacity in an SD card for 1/10th the price. So the price/memory ratio is 1 Million to one. That's what I call real progress!

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Back in my days in Automotive Electronics, the micro code was written in Assembly Language because of ROM limitations. Assembly language is one level up from computer machine language. Programming in it is like trying to run a marathon on your kneecaps with no pads!!

Yes, I've done plenty of assembly language programming. I actually like it -- the programmer has complete control over everything.

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Now that memory is cheap and plentiful, is seem C+ or C++, or whatever derivation exists is the darling of the coders. It's memory capacity that allows for even inefficient/sloppy code to still work because hardware is so cheap.

It's even worse than that. At least C/C++ are compiled. The language of the day seems to be Python, which is interpreted, and takes about 10x as long to run as compiled C to do the same thing. But processing power is so great that few people care, or even notice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trey Cannon said:

We started our friendship in a car listening to audio systems as judges.

Oh yeah?  You guys judged car audio stuff too?  I was doing that, as well, from about 1985 till I got out of the industry in 2009.  Competing in and judging both in install and SQ.  This was back in the Thunder on Wheels days, then NACA, CAN, IASCA, and USAC I was about out of it then.  Good times.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Meet Pedro Sanchez Delgado!!!!!

@Edgar Yes indeed, a regular guy, in the best since of that expression go to about 2:45. But watch the whole thing and discover Mary Hicks who could built a pair of Khorns in a day. Jerry Calhoun who still runs that factory like a well oiled machine (he started when he was 4), and on and on and on. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Meet Pedro Sanchez Delgado!!!!!

That's a lot of very long-term employees. Must be doing something right.

Also, striking difference between "Arkansas accent" and "Missouri accent". You'd never know that we're neighbors.

• Like 1

I would like to see a Klipsch representative actively participating on this forum answering questions and possible doing some selling, for a small commission. Internet selling has worked pretty well for Bezos of Amazon. I bet there are some hungry audio technicians at Klipsch that would love to make some extra money in their off time at night. Could possible turn into a big deal with sales increasing for Klipsch. Would not hurt to give it a try and see how it works out. I think the guys here would welcome more info from Klipsch on what is happening and what they are working on. Shu mentioned something about a new sub on a thread recently. I wonder it is going to be a Heritage sub? A Klipsch rep could answer some questions members have and possible take some orders. 

Just some thoughts from an old man in Alabama. Probably not worth much. 

Like to mention I am staying positive on the direction Roy is making on this forum. More Klipsch participation will give the guys something to discuss instead of arguing about something silly like capacitors in crossover networks.

Guys I have been watching some of those museum videos and on one of them the guy says the best crossover for my speakers, '86 LaScala's, is the AL-3. I have heard that in the past as well. For 2 decades I listened to my AL crossovers and I and every one that heard me play my speakers were amazed at the sound they made. I listened to the talk on this forum and took them out and tore them apart and built a pair of AA's. Sound really good but I wish I still had my AL's as original. All the talk here about the AL's was as PWK use to say BS. And I can now see the schematic and understand the only thing that is radically different about the AL is notch filters to flatten the frequency response. But the engineers at Klipsch decided a few years ago, '89 I think, that the AL-3 is better using the K55M driver. At least that is what the guy in the video is saying. That may be a project I may want to do in the future. Build some AL-3's. I have a box full of inductors and capacitors as well but I want to use some of those Mylar capacitors the Klipsch engineers say to use. I like to believe I am smart enough not to argue with an electronic engineer about what to use in a Klipsch crossover. Even though I am old and have CRS. 

2 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

I would to be able to count as work days every I go fishing….my boss ah…..no. I will try hard to answer questions that I can. Go easy. There are some things I can’t talk about like where all the bodies are buried……shhhhhh!  It’s a secret. I have the map to 75cent……

Your thoughts on AL-3 vs AL crossover that came with my speakers? '86 LaScala's