Meet Roy Delgado

henry4841

Pileophile. Piles and piles of stuff. Someday we’ll hear:

”Hi everyone. Well, I’m in the hospital. I was crushed by my 64.12.8.4 Home theater system. I shouldn't have flown the MCM’s.”

“I know I haven’t posted in a few days, but I just now got back from the kitchen.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just some more thoughts on my original AL crossovers. The ones on this forum who were living in the 70's and 80's may remember all the audio rags pushing flatter and flatter frequency response as a desirable trait, which it still is with reservations. Klipsch was not known for a flat frequency response and my thinking Klipsch wanting to appeal to the rags developed the AL crossover with all the flattening notch filters in all three drivers improving the frequency response over the AA crossover. Just another instance of what looks better on paper does not always go with what actually sounds best. Measure better on the bench but not necessary better in the field. Roy pretty much said as much when comparing the AL vs the AL-3 crossover in a direct comparison. Notch filters removed and the sound is better in the AL-3, for most listeners. At least Klipsch thought so when they retired the AL for the AL-3. As said previously I listened to my LaScala's for decades with those AL crossovers and never found a fault with them. But at that time I did not do any comparisons with them and other crossovers. Right now I have AA's I built in my speakers and find nothing wrong with what I am hearing now with the AA's. Basically just a simple 1st order crossover except for the tweeter with a 3rd order just to protect that delicate 5 watt tweeter. What I am hearing from Roy is the AL-3 may be a better choice with the K55M driver. Could be and something I may want to build in the future to just see if I like or can tell a difference between it and my AA's. AL's are gone so I can not do a comparison with them and the AL-3's. 

I like simple circuits with fewer components in all my audio gear, especially when it comes to amplifiers. Every component adds something to the sound quality and best in my world if one can do without one of them take it out. Component or a complete circuit. 

Watching some videos of Roy leads me to believe I could hang with Roy. Seems to be a beer drinking good old boy as we say down here in the deep south. Does not appear to put on airs with anyone even though he is an educated successful audio engineer. Seems like my kind of guy, one you can talk with and to. Those that know him and have hung out with him may want to comment if I am correct.

• Like 1

The Roy you see in the museum video you posted is the Roy I have always known from the first time we met which is a down to earth person who loves to laugh, tinker, share knowledge, easy going, designs speakers that sound OK and loves bass fishing. His love and respect for PWK is obvious when you talk with him.

Oh by the way he really is the “Chief Bonehead” 😜

miketn

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

The Roy you see in the museum video you posted is the Roy I have always known from the first time we met which is a down to earth person who loves to laugh, tinker, share knowledge, easy going, designs speakers that sound OK and loves bass fishing. His love and respect for PWK is obvious when you talk with him.

Oh by the way he really is the “Chief Bonehead” 😜

miketn

Bass fishing? Wonder if he has ever tangled with some of our southern spotted bass? Real fighting river bass. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:58 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Tough one because I wasn’t the one that did the redesign. I will tell that I was asked to listen to comparison not knowing which was what and I ended up picking the al3……mind you after playing about 30 of my ref cuts. 

I would say something similar, but it didn't take me that long to notice a resonance/howl in the common range of a French Horn that I found very annoying when listening to 1986 AL La Scalas in the same room with '81 AA La Scalas.  My brother has the ALs, now.  😁

On 9/30/2022 at 10:10 PM, deang said:

Pileophile. Piles and piles of stuff. Someday we’ll hear:

”Hi everyone. Well, I’m in the hospital. I was crushed by my 64.12.8.4 Home theater system. I shouldn't have flown the MCM’s.”

“I know I haven’t posted in a few days, but I just now got back from the kitchen.”

LOL!  I simplified.  Down to only 5.0.4 and only 2 Heresy IVs in my computer room. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Lot's of information in that video, his best one yet in my opinion, in Jill Escol's house no less. Really surprised she didn't chain herself to one of them so they had to stay. 

Escol’s home, the interview was produced by Jason Metzger at All At Once Productions. Klipsch Museum of Audio History YouTube Channel - Videos from the Klipsch Vault Weekly Every Tuesday! Look for special interviews, videos from the Klipsch Vault, and exclusive Klipsch content only found here. Connect with us: Klipsch https://www.facebook.com/KlipschAudio Klipsch Museum of Audio History https://www.facebook.com/klipschmuseum Klipsch Website https://www.klipsch.com/ Klipsch Museum of Audio History Website https://www.klipschmuseum.org/ “The secret of the product quality wasn’t the fact that it was a corner horn speaker, but that it was, well, a high quality product all the way through.” Paul W. Klipsch Founder of Klipsch Inc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a big difference in price from a Cornwall to a LaScala roughly $6,600 with nothing in between in the Heritage line. This was not the case just a few years ago. I can understand why, LaScala is now dressed up to look nice in most buyers rooms. Lots more veneered wood needed to look nice in the open horn of the LaScala. When I bought my LaScala's in '86 the difference in price from LaScala to K-horn was close to double. Why not offer a LaScala like the old days, built from dyed birch plywood or painted MDF and not from expensive veneers. Klipsch may have good reasons for not doing so but I do believe there would be a market for a stripped down LaScala. With the price now really close to the price of a K-horn Klipsch loses a big market of buyers who would love to own LaScala's but cannot fit one into their budget. May not be profitable for Klipsch but it is a shame more cannot own a remarkable speaker like the LaScala. I posted this here with the hope Roy sees this post and possible will comment. 

After giving this some more thought what I really think I meant is to bring back the old PA, club LaScala that made a home model desirable to audiophiles. Surely Klipsch can make a profit selling it roughly in the middle price between a Cornwall and a LaScala by just spraying some black paint on MDF. The look of the 70 LaScala with the new drivers.

Other than that possibly a bass design that is real close sonically to the LaScala with the horns and drivers of the new LaScala. Surely possible with new technology, bass speakers, horn and drivers. Lot's of interest in open baffle bass these days. Open baffle bass or something similar with modern LaScala horns and drivers. In other words getting away from the labor involved in building a LaScala bass bin. 

Anything in the works Roy to fill in the gap between the Cornwall and LaScala? I am almost positive your design team has given this some thought. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roy,

I have 2 questions about the Klipsch Forte IVs. I have a pair and am quite pleased with the sound, but I'm always on the look out for ways to improve the sound (part of this hobby!). One youtube audio channel I follow, the Boston Audiophile, has a video of the moderator modifying the horns of his Cornwalls with Dynamat to dampen the resonance. Looks like an easy mod, and Boston Audiophile says it improved the focus and quality of the sound he was able to get from his speakers.

My question for you is, why aren't Klipsch horns dampened in this way from the factory since it appears to be an easy, low-cost addition, and would you recommend this modification?

Second question. I read on another forum that the speaker binding plates for Klipsch Forte IV's are connected to the driver leads with a simple steel connector. Is this true? Would seem to be limiting the performance of these speakers, and again, not too difficult to fix.

Thanks for your help,

Josh

Edited by Josh in DC
spelling, clarity

11 minutes ago, Josh in DC said:

I read on another forum that the speaker binding plates for Klipsch Forte IV's are connected to the driver leads with a simple steel connector. Is this true? Would seem to be limiting the performance of these speakers,

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

In what way is the connector limiting performance?

1 hour ago, Josh in DC said:

Hi Roy,

My question for you is, why aren't Klipsch horns dampened in this way from the factory since it appears to be an easy, low-cost addition, and would you recommend this modification?

Unless I am mistaken Roy mentioned doing the very same thing to PWK before he died and got disciplined for asking such a question being PWK said he had already tried it decades ago with no improvement. As CBH just said you should not believe everything you read on net. That and always consider who it is say something. Do they hold an engineer degree like PWK. 

On 10/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, JohnA said:

I would say something similar, but it didn't take me that long to notice a resonance/howl in the common range of a French Horn that I found very annoying when listening to 1986 AL La Scalas in the same room with '81 AA La Scalas.  My brother has the ALs, now.  😁

LS never worked for meyadvto to to KLF ,30