Jump to content

Meet Roy Delgado


henry4841
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Chief bonehead said:

Tough one because I wasn’t the one that did the redesign. I will tell that I was asked to listen to comparison not knowing which was what and I ended up picking the al3……mind you after playing about 30 of my ref cuts. 

Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Klipsch Employees

Weird fact…..when I knew I was to do some serious listening to speakers, I avoided loud noises. I didn’t listen to the radio to work. Kept the windows closed in my car and got up before I wife would bark out orders on what I needed to do. I wanted my ears fresh. Does anyone else do that?  Or is it just a weird chief bonehead thing?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Weird fact…..when I knew I was to do some serious listening to speakers, I avoided loud noises. I didn’t listen to the radio to work. Kept the windows closed in my car and got up before I wife would bark out orders on what I needed to do. I wanted my ears fresh. Does anyone else do that?  Or is it just a weird chief bonehead thing?

 

The longer I go between listens to my room stereo, the better it sounds.  Avoiding listening to the earbuds too much while surfing the net helps also.

 

Listening first thing in the morning on Sundays is very enjoyable, but the best is at night in a dark room.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Weird fact…..when I knew I was to do some serious listening to speakers, I avoided loud noises. I didn’t listen to the radio to work. Kept the windows closed in my car and got up before I wife would bark out orders on what I needed to do. I wanted my ears fresh. Does anyone else do that?  Or is it just a weird chief bonehead thing?

Not weird at all... Back in the day, a lot of studio engineers listened far too loudly in the control room. I think most have now cut back a lot and try to have quiet time to rest their ears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Not weird at all... Back in the day, a lot of studio engineers listened far too loudly in the control room. I think most have now cut back a lot and try to have quiet time to rest their ears.

Hope you are getting better. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I have a question for @Chief bonehead any chance of a Chorus III ever, Cornwall IV mid and tweet with the k-48 woofer and a passive radiator? Seems all parts are still in production only need the cabinets and LF crossover. If not a new Chorus maybe a home version of the KPT-325 in a Chorus type cabinet? 

 

 I personally love the k-48 woofer, cabinet size is also perfect, right in between the forte and Cornwall. If a new Chorus III were to come out with the larger Cornwall IV mid horn I'd probably have to buy a pair, don't think I could resist for very long, think a lot of people would buy them. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

 I have a question for @Chief bonehead any chance of a Chorus III ever, Cornwall IV mid and tweet with the k-48 woofer and a passive radiator? Seems all parts are still in production only need the cabinets and LF crossover. If not a new Chorus maybe a home version of the KPT-325 in a Chorus type cabinet? 

 

 I personally love the k-48 woofer, cabinet size is also perfect, right in between the forte and Cornwall. If a new Chorus III were to come out with the larger Cornwall IV mid horn I'd probably have to buy a pair, don't think I could resist for very long, think a lot of people would buy them. 

 

A question asked before by us lovers of Chorus over Cornwalls. I think the answer will be no. It would have to be priced just like the Cornwalls since I would expect them to sound even better based strictly on my perception of what I have heard from the two cabinet types. I like the Chorus shape and smaller footprint and audio quality over all the Cornwalls but the CW4. I wonder what Roy could do if he applied the same recipe to the Chorus though. So there is this traditional thing too which has big sway at Klipsch. The Cornwall goes way back and the Chorus was a short termed interloper. I see no way for a blessing for a Chorus when the CW4 is as good as it is now. Why make two speakers that would compete for the same basic market?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2022 at 7:01 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Weird fact…..when I knew I was to do some serious listening to speakers, I avoided loud noises. I didn’t listen to the radio to work. Kept the windows closed in my car and got up before I wife would bark out orders on what I needed to do. I wanted my ears fresh. Does anyone else do that?  Or is it just a weird chief bonehead thing?

That makes sense. What helps me the most is to make sure there are no background noises like AC or heaters running in another room. Even a refrigerator or freezer humming away seems to be a problem since all my serious listening is done below 80db now. Entertaining listening just might get much louder..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

A question asked before by us lovers of Chorus over Cornwalls. I think the answer will be no. It would have to be priced just like the Cornwalls since I would expect them to sound even better based strictly on my perception of what I have heard from the two cabinet types. I like the Chorus shape and smaller footprint and audio quality over all the Cornwalls but the CW4. I wonder what Roy could do if he applied the same recipe to the Chorus though. So there is this traditional thing too which has big sway at Klipsch. The Cornwall goes way back and the Chorus was a short termed interloper. I see no way for a blessing for a Chorus when the CW4 is as good as it is now. Why make two speakers that would compete for the same basic market?

Good question. But you can stop wondering. I heard the unveiling of the Chorus I by Woody Jackson (my tour guide in 1985 in Hope) at my Klipsch dealer (1986?). I asked him it was a replacement for the Cornwall. His reply? "We will let the market decide."

 

Well, lo and behold, the Market DID decide, so they brought the Cornwall back and made obsolete the Chorus, even after the Chorus II was created (Roy likely did much of that work, especially on the mid horn). I owned all 3 of those and the Cornwall was the market winner. Maybe because it was a true PWK Legacy product, created by him in the late Fifties.

 

My conclusion by observation, though not definitive. I'm sure Roy can give you a better answer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

  any chance of a Chorus III ever,

 

  a Chorus III with   HF  to  rip your ears drums apart ,and  chest pounding bass  to rattle the fillings out of your teeth  ,    sure  I can dig it    :rolleyes: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, OO1 said:

  a Chorus III with   HF  to  rip your ears drums apart ,and  chest pounding bass  to rattle the fillings out of your teeth  ,    sure  I can dig it    :rolleyes: 

my custom 325's and 335's for that matter are by far the best sounding speaker I've heard at low listening levels sub 70db- very full and detailed I'm sure the Chief could do wonders with a new Chorus model I faith my friend, question is whether he'd want to or not. 

 

 Cornwall is just too big, might as well have LaScalas imo and forte feels like I'd be leaving something on the table a guy can dream right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I heard the unveiling of the Chorus I by Woody Jackson I asked him it was a replacement for the Cornwall. His reply? "We will let the market decide." Well, lo and behold, the Market DID decide, so they brought the Cornwall back and made obsolete the Chorus

 

  I don't see why one would have to replace the other- the Cornwall II and Chorus 1 were sold at the same time '85-'90 and the Chorus won out in the end with the introduction of the Chorus II which ran for 6 years after the Cornwall II was discontinued so what did the market actually decide back then? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

 

  I don't see why one would have to replace the other- the Cornwall II and Chorus 1 were sold at the same time '85-'90 and the Chorus won out in the end with the introduction of the Chorus II which ran for 6 years after the Cornwall II was discontinued so what did the market actually decide back then? 

 

 

Clearly you have not identified who or what "one" is/was that was supposed to do the "replacing."

 

I had all horns (K and LS center) for over 30 years from my early 20's, when I could finally afford them after hearing them when I was 13 years old.

 

I actually didn't like the Cornwalls because they took up more Corner space than the Khorns (try it), so to this Klipschead (following PWK's principles), they should have been called Corncorns.

 

I bought my wife a pair  of Heresys in 1983, and they provided "cleaning music" for her as they sat up on the top of dining room cabinets, firing into the living room.

 

So basically I didn't care about any of the Bass Reflex offerings, or keeping track of what was what. I only mentioned what Woody Jackson (VP of Marketing at the time) literally said to me, and nothing more. Fast forward to the present day Cornwall IV, I would say that the market DID decide, even though it took a while and some new owners to the second power for it to happen.

 

So basically I was both ignorant and indifferent the "tweener" period of history you speak of.

 

IOW, I didn't know and I didn't care! (still don't). But I just thought a statement from a Markeing/Sales guy who became K&A President thereafter was properly quoted and that it would add to the history for those interested.

 

PS: When I began my quest for Home Theater in the new millenium, I had both Chorus I and II as surround channels until I got more LaScalas to go with my MWM stack, but that's another story for another time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...