Mark Knopfler ...

Coytee

I'm familiar with Dire Straits.

What I'm NOT familiar with is....Knopfler's solo career.  Can't say I'm aware of a single finger pick post Dire.  Anything in his solo career a must have?  (I'm more a fan of live stuff but always open to all)

12 hours ago, Coytee said:

I'm familiar with Dire Straits.

What I'm NOT familiar with is....Knopfler's solo career.  Can't say I'm aware of a single finger pick post Dire.  Anything in his solo career a must have?  (I'm more a fan of live stuff but always open to all)

I unfortunately don’t know titles to point you to, but I listen mostly to Pandora and have a Dire Straits station. They play lots of solo and collaborations and I’ve enjoyed most all I’ve heard from Mark. I don’t really think you can go wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I presumed he was more active than I had thought!

Good stuff, thank you.  Listening to the second link above....  so far, first two....not familiar to me.  Looks like someone is going shopping.

He’s done a handful of movie soundtracks as well.

6 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Shangri-La is a great album.

His album All the Roadrunning, that he did with Emmylou Harris is really good too.

I agree! I have the "Shangri-La" DVD and the "All the Roadrunning" DVD and really like both!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:45 AM, Invidiosulus said:

Shangri-La is a great album.

His album All the Roadrunning, that he did with Emmylou Harris is really good too.

There's at least some of the two together on YT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, moray james said:

Cal sound track to a move by the same name is very good.

The movie Cal, and its soundtrack, are quite good.  As well as Mark's guitar playing, there's some  use of uilleann pipes, the Irish bagpipes, which help set the mood in some scenes.  Unlike the Scottish bagpipes, the uilleann pipes are pumped up by the movements of the player's right elbow.  The instrument is played in a seated position, and the bag is at the player's right side.  His elbow is used to pump it up.  Unlike the martial and strident sounds (to put it kindly) of the Scottish bagpipes, also called war pipes, the uilleann pipes can convey a sad or melancholy mood, which fit well with a sad movie like Cal, which involves an Irishman who was the getaway driver in the assassination of a British Army officer in Ireland.  Later, he's wracked with guilt, and starts to live in a shed on the farm owned by the officer's widow.

The clip below shows details of the pipes, some of which was new to me.  The bag is actually at the player's left.  It's the bellows, which inflates the bag, that's at the player's right.  Also, the pipes have lever-operated valves, similar to the valves of a saxophone.  You may get all you need from the video in the first five minutes.  You'll see a pretty Irish woman, who explains the operation of the pipes, and from 3:35 to 4:00 you'll hear someone speaking Irish, with English subtitles.  It's taught in school classes in Ireland as a second language.  The country is officially bilingual, with English and Irish as the official languages, but most people speak English.  There are still a few remote (well, nowhere is really remote in a country that's only 200 miles/320 km across) rural areas where Irish is the primary language.  Those areas are collectively known as the Gaeltacht, and there's a tourist industry for anyone who's curious about Ireland's native language and culture and would like to visit and/or spend some time in the Gaeltacht.  

In Northern Ireland, of course, you're very unlikely to hear Irish spoken, but there is increasing interest in the language in every part of the island.

Also, I don't think Mark Knopfler can play the uilleann pipes, but he has used them in some recordings other than Cal.  You would also have heard these pipes in the movie Braveheart, while you saw someone appearing to play the Scottish bagpipes.  The sound of the war pipes just wasn't right for the mood of that scene, so a uilleann piper provided the horn sounds for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Islander said:

The movie Cal, and its soundtrack, are quite good.  As well as Mark's guitar playing, there's some  use of uilleann pipes, the Irish bagpipes, which help set the mood in some scenes.  Unlike the Scottish bagpipes, the uilleann pipes are pumped up by the movements of the player's right elbow.  The instrument is played in a seated position, and the bag is at the player's right side.  His elbow is used to pump it up.  Unlike the martial and strident sounds (to put it kindly) of the Scottish bagpipes, also called war pipes, the uilleann pipes can convey a sad or melancholy mood, which fit well with a sad movie like Cal, which involves an Irishman who was the getaway driver in the assassination of a British Army officer in Ireland.  Later, he's wracked with guilt, and starts to live in a shed on the farm owned by the officer's widow.

The clip below shows details of the pipes, some of which was new to me.  The bag is actually at the player's left.  It's the bellows, which inflates the bag, that's at the player's right.  Also, the pipes have lever-operated valves, similar to the valves of a saxophone.  You may get all you need from the video in the first five minutes.  You'll see a pretty Irish woman, who explains the operation of the pipes, and from 3:35 to 4:00 you'll hear someone speaking Irish, with English subtitles.  It's taught in school classes in Ireland as a second language.  The country is officially bilingual, with English and Irish as the official languages, but most people speak English.  There are still a few remote (well, nowhere is really remote in a country that's only 200 miles/320 km across) rural areas where Irish is the primary language.  Those areas are collectively known as the Gaeltacht, and there's a tourist industry for anyone who's curious about Ireland's native language and culture and would like to visit and/or spend some time in the Gaeltacht.  

In Northern Ireland, of course, you're very unlikely to hear Irish spoken, but there is increasing interest in the language in every part of the island.

Also, I don't think Mark Knopfler can play the uilleann pipes, but he has used them in some recordings other than Cal.  You would also have heard these pipes in the movie Braveheart, while you saw someone appearing to play the Scottish bagpipes.  The sound of the war pipes just wasn't right for the mood of that scene, so a uilleann piper provided the horn sounds for it.

The Irish invented both styles of bagpipes but gave the Highland pipes to Scotland.

Thankfully for the Irish, the Scottish haven’t gotten the joke.

• Haha 1