How many here are using a matched LCR front stage?

wuzzzer

Did you try other centers first?  I tried an Academy with my Heresys and never liked how it sounded.  I vastly preferred a phantom center.

Once my front LCR Heresy setup was complete it led me to find another pair to use as surrounds.  Pretty hard to beat a multi channel surround setup using all identical speakers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Did you try other centers first?  I tried an Academy with my Heresys and never liked how it sounded.

Years back I had an RC-7 LCR for quite awhile in a bedroom system. For my Chorus II's I preferred the KV-4 over the Academy by quite a bit only got bumped out by the RC-7. I have the parts to build another pair of custom KPT-335's-- have been thinking about building a single center in a horizontal configuration to tuck under the TV and saving the extra parts for back up. Eventually would have 335's for LCR and 325's for the rear, have a refurbished Sunfire Signature 400x5 in the wings waiting should easily hit rock concert levels for those special occasions. 

• Like 1

I have had many matching LCR. Heresy's, Klf's Chorus, Cornwalls and now LaScala (industrials). Old and Chorus all 7 and Cornwalls and LaScala I have 5 with various fill in. Loved them all. I truly believe their is no better front LCR that are matching.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 9/17/2022 at 8:46 PM, wuzzzer said:

Did you try other centers first?  I tried an Academy with my Heresys and never liked how it sounded.  I vastly preferred a phantom center.

Once my front LCR Heresy setup was complete it led me to find another pair to use as surrounds.  Pretty hard to beat a multi channel surround setup using all identical speakers.

I agree, the Academy while pretty good , just doesn’t compare with Heresy .I’m surprised by how many people on the forum ,that will ordinarily  put a great  deal of emphasis on high quality and non compromised sound  ,seem to willingly accept the  placement of   a  clearly inferior center channel between their  mains . Mixing in a lesser center channel  ,can introduce  a fly in the ointment . To me ,it’s  usually an obvious audible flaw . The importance of a great center channel cannot be overstated .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, billybob said:

And then there are some that like the Academy. Have read here where the Heresy itself was designed (?) with being a center between other Heritage in mind. Changing Times.

Hi billybob , I’m with you, I like the Academy, it’s just that I kinda shake my head a little,when I hear about a guy that will put one between a set of Lascala’s or Khorns and such, serious compromises will result , at least in my view. Have a great day friend 🤓

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom05 said:

Hi billybob , I’m with you, I like the Academy, it’s just that I kinda shake my head a little,when I hear about a guy that will put one between a set of Lascala’s or Khorns and such, serious compromises will result , at least in my view. Have a great day friend 🤓

I couldn't stand the Academy between my Chorus II's preferred 2 channel phantom center. The KV-4 was different, larger voice and higher sensitivity while not perfect by any stretch was worth having over nothing IMO. 

• Like 1

Had Heresy's L/C/R for several years and it sounded pretty good - even with the center 4 ft below the L/R ones :)  But, wife did not like the center in front of the fireplace, so got rid of all three :(  Using RC-7's as L/R now and it is almost as good - but; use them for TV sound only :) 

• Like 1

I have five identical Cornwalls in a 5.1 system. Having the identically capable threesome across the front soundstage (and as well in the back, especially on certain material) is truly a revelation in home theater, this after trying other smaller methods to get something close. This works with Heresys, Cornwalls, Belles, whatever you choose. Once the threesome identical across the front is heard and the "righteousness" understood nothing else will do. It's sooooooo "locked in". The MOST capable speaker in a home theater in terms of "full range" should be the CENTER.

In my case I have the center as an old school "Cornwall II" betwixt two Cornwall Is so it's lowboy such that a large flatscreen can rest atop it and really work out perfectleh.....

• Like 3