How many here are using a matched LCR front stage?

wuzzzer

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 9:14 AM, billybob said:

And then there are some that like the Academy. Have read here where the Heresy itself was designed (?) with being a center between other Heritage in mind. Changing Times.

Yes, the Heresy was the world’s first centre speaker, AFAIK.  PWK had a bigger room by then, so his Klipschorns were far enough apart that he ran into the “hole-in-the-middle” effect.  Thus, he created the Heresy (but I think it was called the H700 at first).  Sitting between two Khorns, deep bass was not essential, so sensitivity became the priority, in order to keep up with the Khorns.  After a while, he replaced the H700 with a Cornwall for bigger sound, and then a La Scala.

However, at that point, Belle Klipsch, his first wife, started to grumble about the big black box in their living room.  This was the first notable case of Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF).  Ever resourceful, PWK came up with a more pretty version of the La Scala that he named the Belle Klipsch.  And the rest is history.

But wait, there’s a bit more.  In late 2005 or early 2006, the La Scala became the La Scala II, which looked much better, and was styled in a way that looked similar to the Belle Klipsch, so it was decided that the two models were too similar to keep producing both, and the LS2 sounded better, so 2005 was the last year for the Belle.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:54 PM, tragusa3 said:

Just changed to Khorns with LaScala center.  Immediate and definite improvements.

Certainly not in phase coherence. Then in what way is it and improvement, Bass only? You have a DTS-10 so I fail to see how the bass could improve if you use room correction (lower crossover point, maybe????

16 minutes ago, Islander said:

After a while, he replaced the H700 with a Cornwall for bigger sound, and then a La Scala.

Actually it was the Belle he replaced it with. For lower distortion AND to match the Walnut Oiled Khorns in his house (saw and heard them myself). Since I could only afford the Birch Khorns, I used a LaScala center because everything was Tung Oiled Birch with no stain, but that was the exception.

Of course, then people started buying the Belles in Pairs for 2 channel. I think they were the "Prettiest" of the Klipsch Heritage.

But I think it made sense to do what Klipsch did which is quit the Belles and made the LaScalas pretty instead because the majority of people did not use a center channel for stereo (I did for 30 years) and LaScalas don't have to have corners either, as you all know.

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Certainly not in phase coherence. Then in what way is it and improvement, Bass only? You have a DTS-10 so I fail to see how the bass could improve if you use room correction (lower crossover point, maybe????

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So did you move your L and R LaScalas to side duty in 5.1?

I have always felt the Danley's are bloated sounding in the upper end of their range.  So, yes, I am crossing the Khorns lower than I did the LS.  I hear and measure a flatter response this way.    But this isn't settled.  I prefer different crossover points with different content.

The overall sound is "larger", comes from less of a point source.  This might be due to the mids and highs crossing in front of my listening position now.  I'm sure there are more reflections, which seem an improvement actually.  It seems more a wall of sound.

There is an increased level of detail and separation between instruments.  The soundfield is deeper.

I could be convinced some of this is in my head, except that I've experienced similar differences when listening to a friends Khorns over the years. 

I enjoy listening in 2 channel more with the Khorns too.  Likely my preferred option for 2 channel, whereas it was not with the LS.

Of course, there is always a certain percentage of mystery to how people perceive sound.  I'm not an audio journalist and may not be clear in what I'm saying...or even saying what I want to say.  But to put it all another way, I won't be pulling the Khorns out to put the LS back in place.

As for the LS, I'm not sure what will become of them?  I don't feel they are necessary for surround duty.  My Heresy I's are doing a fine job.  I could possibly use them as a 2 channel system in another room.  Selling them would help justify the Khorn expense, but I have loved them for a long time, it would feel like I was untrue to a faithful friend.  

BTW, I saw your involvement in the threads about the Golden Jubiliees.  My Khorns came from the same estate auction (WC Fischer).  

• Like 1

tragusa3, you could use your Scalas for Surround duty, which would free up your Heresys for Height speaker duties, or another position called for by Dolby Atmos.  When I replaced my Surround Heresy IIs with the La Scalas, there was a definite improvement in the sound.  I wouldn't go back. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:46 PM, wuzzzer said:

Did you try other centers first?  I tried an Academy with my Heresys and never liked how it sounded.  I vastly preferred a phantom center.

Once my front LCR Heresy setup was complete it led me to find another pair to use as surrounds.  Pretty hard to beat a multi channel surround setup using all identical speakers.

I do Not. My Center is a brand different from my mains.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:26 PM, Islander said:

tragusa3, you could use your Scalas for Surround duty, which would free up your Heresys for Height speaker duties, or another position called for by Dolby Atmos.  When I replaced my Surround Heresy IIs with the La Scalas, there was a definite improvement in the sound.  I wouldn't go back. 

I feel strongly that the Heresy are giving more than I need in that roll.  However, I should give it a try, since the pieces are already here.  Maybe this weekend.

• Like 1