Inherited a pair of Klipschorns from my father who recently passed away

Bob Smith

I would just work on refinishing them for now and worry about the other stuff when you’re done. The wire and capacitors need attention (it’s been 40 years), but it’s not like you have to deal with it right now.

YouTube is great, but there’s a lot of bad advice too, which is everywhere, including here. My advice hasn’t always been stellar either. Knowing half of something is more dangerous than knowing nothing. 

You can PM through the forum or email me using my Facebook page. I gave up my modification business to build for Klipsch, but you can at least see examples of my work. 

https://www.facebook.com/deangcrossovers/

19 minutes ago, mboxler said:

Hey Dean

The Mid Range Horn picture shows a T5A autoformer, indicating this is an AK-2 crossover.  Will you bother just recapping these or will you upgrade them to

AK-3's?  

Mike

I had already decided not to recap if he decides to do anything - just way too much trouble. Yes, AK-2 nets should be upgraded to AK-3. 

30 minutes ago, deang said:

I would just work on refinishing them for now and worry about the other stuff when you’re done. The wire and capacitors need attention (it’s been 40 years), but it’s not like you have to deal with it right now.

YouTube is great, but there’s a lot of bad advice too, which is everywhere, including here. My advice hasn’t always been stellar either. Knowing half of something is more dangerous than knowing nothing. 

You can PM through the forum or email me using my Facebook page. I gave up my modification business to build for Klipsch, but you can at least see examples of my work. 

https://www.facebook.com/deangcrossovers/

Thank you. Following your Facebook page. 

2 hours ago, moray james said:

Very sorry to hear that you lost your Dad. I am happy though to read of your memories and to know that his system will carry on with you. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you. Every time I listen to them I thank him and think of him, missing those sessions of listening to them together. 

Edited by Bob Smith
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Smith said:

Thank you. Every time I listen to them I thank him and think of him, missing those sessions of listening to them together. 

Love that.  Like you, I relish those memories of your parents that pop into your head when certain, meaningful things happen.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bob Smith said:

My wife wants to eventually stain the Klipschorns a darker color to match our other funiture,

Your speaker label indicates an oil finish. Try some dabs of tinted oils on the oak veneer near the crossovers until you find a shade you like, then wipe and rub the speakers. Oiling the veneer will probably also make most of the scratches less visible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Your speaker label indicates an oil finish. Try some dabs of tinted oils on the oak veneer near the crossovers until you find a shade you like, then wipe and rub the speakers. Oiling the veneer will probably also make most of the scratches less visible.

I will investigate that. Thank you for the advice.