Pink Floyd Animals 2018 Remix

artto

The short story........If you're a Pink Floyd fan - GET IT.

If you're not a Pink Floyd fan, just another audio nut GET IT.

Baring the subjective difference preferences between the original 1977 LP and the 2018, I think this is one of the absolutely best remix/remastering of an aging rock album I've ever heard.

Personally, I find everything about it better. There's plenty of YouTube reviews out there already, and they all pretty much say the same things as my impressions.

The original recording on LP or any of the subsequent reissues on LP, CD or Hi-Res streaming with or without MQA are notably inferior compared to this new release (IMHO). Everything is much better defined, clear, spacious.

You will need a truly full range system to hear all the improvements. I always felt like turning the bass up on Animals, regardless of the media. Not here. Rick Wright's synths go DOWN DEEP, WAY DOWN. No need to turn the bass up. I bypassed all EQ/tone controls on my system.

Now I wish Floyd would do the same to DSOTM, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle.

• Like 5

Well, I gave the Animals 2018 Remix a listen today, and still not a fan of remasterings or remixes of the classic Floyd or Zeppelin I listened to ad infinitum back in the day when I first started listening to music on the stereo.

Animals is perhaps the darkest of all Pink Floyd albums (save Meddle Side 2 Echoes) and for me a lot of that feeling is lost on this 2018 Remix.  Sure, it sounds brighter, deeper bass in parts, but the delays and reverbs are all different now, greatly altering the sound.  

For me, the best climatic part of the album is the weeping guitar solo in Dogs.  It is just perfection on the original and demands to be played at the loudest volume one can stand.  The drama of this is totally lost on the 2018 Remix.

I can certainly appreciate the slightly different sound of the original analog on various phono cartridges or pressings, but this is just too different, fresh.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, tromprof said:

Assuming you have a good stereo system, YES!

If you have a good surround system, HELL YES!

Amazon says bluray 2 channel is 24bit/192K and 5.1 is 24bit/96k. How are you playing these files back? I am just curious...BR out over HDMI? Or what?

26 minutes ago, babadono said:

Amazon says bluray 2 channel is 24bit/192K and 5.1 is 24bit/96k. How are you playing these files back? I am just curious...BR out over HDMI? Or what?

5.1 is Sony bluray player, HDMI out to Marantz 8805 processor.

2 channel is another Sony bluray player, coax out to Topping D90SE dac.

• 4 weeks later...