Thumbs UP or Thumbs Down on Todays 75 Basis Point Fed Hike?

RealMarkDeneen

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Giving workers more money increases inflation.  Stimulus, anyone?

Raising wages is a different proposition than handing out stimulus checks. Wages are trailing all other economic gains. That distortion makes any price hike feel extraordinary. If wages had tracked say asset prices more closer there would be no panic over prices. Everything is relative. A $25 streak is expensive when you make $15/hr. No problem though if you make $50/hr. 

Higher interest rates are regressive adjustments. Very few executives will get laid off, but a million low wage workers are about to lose their jobs by early 2023. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Can Corporate Greed Explain Historic Inflation? Lawmaker Says She Found The Answer (msn.com)

Check it out.  While your statement can be true, in the current case, it isn't.

Good article, but giving more money to workers is causing rising prices, especially in this case.

If your article's premise is correct that corporate greed (increased profit margins, rather than merely passing on cost increases) explains inflation, all this tells us is prices are rising and labor can afford them.  

If labor cannot afford to pay, prices should begin to fall, and margins should begin to be squeezed.

(I think this is correct logic, but it is complicated.)

I don't think you can fight inflation by feeding the demand side of the equation.

2023...The year the chicks come home. So glad I and my kids bought our land, built houses and bought vehicles when blank was still a Great place to live. A truck bought new a few years ago is still worth the same amount as paid. An average house in hickville went up $100,000+. My contractor friends require your checkbook to start the job and charge as they see fit, and that's everywhere cause you can't get workers. You ask any questions and you'd be a difficult customer that they flee from. Oh well...my Grand kids will have a place to live and grow food, unless the powers decide peasants should not own land. I know...that sounds as crazy as dollar a loaf bread,dollar a pack smokes sounded when I was young. Pretty amazing what a couple years can bring. Thumbs sideways....

• Like 1

Dont know whats up or down Just spent a month in Europe and so many things were so cheap in great cities it was eye opening. Mom and pop shops everywhere, loaf of great hand made bread a dollar dinner for 4 80$ with millions of dollars of cars out front..... Left my luggage at an airport the baggage claim was way to long their are many on strike in the transport industry there. Bought all new clothes in fine neighborhoods jeans 15 long sleeved shirts 9 shorts 10 birkenstocks 60 heck in paris they fixed my rolex for free.  Berlin public transit 9 a month unlimited travel within a large area high speed trains included. Was in spain for soccer my boy plays at a high level. A girl in our hotel broke her ankle and as a foreigner only paid about 280 cast exam xrays medicine crutches..... we are getting hosed. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, Fish said:

Pretty amazing what a couple years can bring.

Fwiw, ALOT happened leading up to today and we lived (talked about) some of it on this Forum...

54 minutes ago, juniper said:

Dont know whats up or down Just spent a month in Europe and so many things were so cheap in great cities it was eye opening. Mom and pop shops everywhere, loaf of great hand made bread a dollar dinner for 4 80$ with millions of dollars of cars out front..... Left my luggage at an airport the baggage claim was way to long their are many on strike in the transport industry there. Bought all new clothes in fine neighborhoods jeans 15 long sleeved shirts 9 shorts 10 birkenstocks 60 heck in paris they fixed my rolex for free. 

That's good to hear given the European  Inflation Rate is higher than ours at 9.9%. Germany's @ 10% while Spain's @ 8.9%. Let's hope everyone's starts to go down because it's a global phenomena. 

54 minutes ago, juniper said:

Berlin public transit 9 a month unlimited travel within a large area high speed trains included. Was in spain for soccer my boy plays at a high level. A girl in our hotel broke her ankle and as a foreigner only paid about 280 cast exam xrays medicine crutches..... we are getting hosed. 

That's because Transportation and Healthcare are Government subsidized in Europe.