Origin Klipsch KM 4 ( KG 3.5 ) worth to buy ?

MicroMara

I can buy a pair of origin KM 4 here in Germany in quite good condition. All I know is that " The two-way km series km-4 tower loudspeaker was first introduced in 1994 and manufactured until 1997 specifically for U.S. Armed forces worldwide distribution. The km line was the last line Klipsch made specifically for our U.S. Armed Forces overseas. " 

I need a new speaker project for this coming winter . My RF7 EvoTec are ready for a long time and I want to do a bit of craftsmanship as I consider to refurbish them . Are they worth to invest ? Thanx for any reply !

KM4.thumb.jpg.ad3e61f9417e7e2b80469ac997d318d4.jpg

KM4-1.thumb.jpg.7b06faa6843076c74f2506703f8fa183.jpg

KM4-3.thumb.jpg.3d68ad280c4a5085067522dc9a0cde47.jpg

KM4-2.thumb.jpg.0c68f809154b8be1fd321b1be7217b8c.jpg

• Like 2

They are the same as the KG 3.5 "KM" is Klipsch Military offered at military bases? They are one of the only models in the KG line I have never owned or heard but have been relatively happy with all the KG's for their size and price point. Used to be you could find the 3.5's in the $100-$150 range, not sure now with the market the way its been.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

They are the same as the KG 3.5 "KM" is Klipsch Military offered at military bases? They are one of the only models in the KG line I have never owned or heard but have been relatively happy with all the KG's for their size and price point. Used to be you could find the 3.5's in the $100-$150 range, not sure now with the market the way its been.

Thanx a lot . Well the offer is quiet cheap , 250 € bucks only for the pair LoL , think there isn´t any risk to buy them and bring them back to be alive !

• Like 3

I have an appointment tommorrow evening to pick them up , I allready wired the money to the seller . He told me that the RP 8000 F hasn´t any chance against the KM 4 😂

So I´m excited right now , I´m keen on a new Klipsch refurbishment and upgrate project . You´ll see what I gonna do with it , but in the first weeks I wanna listen to them in their origin Klipsch Sound signature ... Step by Step ...

• Like 4

My goodness .....to pick up the KM 4 I´ve been 9 hours on the road today for 217 km one way and 217 km back to my hometown. It was a horror traffic tripp like I know from cities like Cairo , Bangkok, Seoul or Jakarta 😏

However it was worth to purchase these little origin KM 4 . What shell I say ? Of course , my RF7 Evo´s are another world, but that´s not the point ! The KM4 is a great speaker for it´s size, with a really wonderful soundstage , resolution and emotional clear and structured voices, very crispy , midrange and midbass is in propotion to the hights and brilliance .  The bass is decent but very very accurate in it´s performance . I have no regrets , they now run a few days in continuous operation , currently running with my SS Marantz PM 11-S3 and my network player Marantz NA 8005 . I am curious how they will sound when I will operate the tube preamp in hybrid mode with my Marantz power amp or with the tube mono power amps. In any case it´s fun on a very high audio performance level. Never ever expected that !

1335981742_KlipschKMProjekt1.thumb.jpg.c74466e4ec0b6bf273795a4dcfef8630.jpg

1245548227_KlipschKMProjekt2.thumb.jpg.1e58733387fd4cbb4b07e46da9a77d4e.jpg

125943344_KlipschKMProjekt.jpg.0274b56b0a5055cf7fb91fb84584b61d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

How do they sound?

I posted that allready in my last post , but you´re our Moderator and has to read a lot , so I repeat that for you again.

The KM4 is a great speaker for it´s size, with a really wonderful soundstage , resolution and emotional clear and structured voices, very crispy , midrange and midbass is in propotion to the hights and brilliance .  The bass is decent but very very accurate in it´s performance . I have no regrets , they now run a few days in continuous operation , currently running with my SS Marantz PM 11-S3 and my network player Marantz NA 8005 . I am curious how they will sound when I will operate the tube preamp in hybrid mode with my Marantz power amp or with the tube mono power amps. In any case it´s fun on a very high audio performance level. Never ever expected that !

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, billybob said:

And about the same specs as a T-3000, another model made for military. Expect decent bass. Should sound decent as is.

If you had served in the US Army Oversea's you would also know the KM 4. 😉

By the way, it is not identical to the T 3 but with the KG 3.5, the frequency range goes from 36 Hz to 20 Khz with a sensitivity  94 dB. The X-Over is also from the KG 3.5

4 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

If you had served in the US Army Oversea's you would also know the KM 4. 😉

By the way, it is not identical to the T 3 but with the KG 3.5, the frequency range goes from 36 Hz to 20 Khz with a sensitivity  94 dB. The X-Over is also from the KG 3.5

Yes, I said about like. Familiar with the KM line, also the Tangent line for military. Have owned some and KG line.

In any case you like them. All that counts without going into difference. 

• Like 1

First of all, they have been running non-stop for 28 hours. Sometimes via streaming, sometimes SACD, sometimes vinyl. The KM 4 has a sensivity of 94 dB at a FQ of 36 Hz to 20 KHz. I do not have to cranck it before it opens completely and everything is " there " . So from 65 dB sound pressure it fills the large room with a very open clearly structured stage. At higher levels, from 80 dB is here really the "hell" going on, impressive !

The KM 4 is very homogeneously tuned, the horn plays silky and crystal clear. They draw high resolution but just never "annoying.  Weasel-quick is the emotional musical flow , with wonderfully localized voices. Piano passages make me think ..they are so so beautiful,fascinating !

Wind instruments...I hear the "blowing" of the mouthpieces, classical instruments are authentic in reproduction, really graceful to me. Everything comes very very smoothly as well as with a good portion of "emotion",amazing !

There is no "hole" in the FQ of 36 Hz > 20 KHz. Treble, brilliance, presence, midrange, midbass, upper bass, bass ..everything fits, meshes, sophisticated !

Subbass punch ? They do not have, they do not need, but it is absolutely precise in the lower FQ spectrum, the pitches are just right..stunning !

They are "all-round" flawlessly play through any genre. She wants you to listen to her ! They manage to take you on their musical journey. You don't get tired of them either...new tune = new attention to their performance...unusual !

Well..okay they get playback equipment from the 10 K€ league, that probably plays an important role behind the scenes, but it exhausts them and just gets everything out of them.The harmony between electronics and KM 4 fits apparently in this combination from the beginning, harmony !

So much for my first subjective impressions. It will remain exciting, because the tube preamplifier and mono power amplifiers as well as the hybrid options with the PM11-S3 pre- or power stage are waiting for the KM 4!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found ou that the KM 4 is the same as the KG 3.5 . The KM 4 was for military overseas Army stations and the KG 3.5 for usual customers. KM 4 was distributed via the trading chain Aafes and the KG 3.5 via MOMS long time ago . Both trading chains doesn´t exsist anymore in europe. Just to complete this thread 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• MicroMara changed the title to Origin Klipsch KM 4 ( KG 3.5 ) worth to buy ?
17 minutes ago, billybob said:

If you want more Klipsch jem's, just keep looking... thanks.

Well , we have a small sec. audio market here in Germany and they offer the KG4 & KG 3.2 right now. I like these nostalgic Klipsch Speakers , They have an 90 x 40 degree Exponential Horn and no Tractrix Horn. I´ll know the difference between these horns anyway 

KG4.thumb.jpg.31e84569852f6a7ec7041b8203251057.jpg

KG4-1.thumb.jpg.9d8c2a6fc1438f0d8cf502da991482fc.jpg

KG4-2.thumb.jpg.c64a378f38513e2f7898e82d61426292.jpg

KG3.2.thumb.jpg.0211dbe5fd9d5b0f50a5e0decfe04fcc.jpg

KG3.2-1.thumb.jpg.e14915730edf153f6de6c359e9c2c609.jpgKG3.2-2.thumb.jpg.a61eefdaf93a2bdc87a57e125c18c903.jpg

crowhurst_basic_audio_vol1-94.gif.cf7f7d13ed5c337e62a3872e3039eebb.gif

expotractrixkleiner.jpg.d88b0f200ab8d9214bffc96b0bf23975.jpg

• Like 3