Seeking to replace vintage SS amp for Heresy IIIs

brrrlington

We have had the Heresy IIIs for five years.  Bought to match my husband's set up from 1989.  They have been great. Unfortunately his NAD 7175pe has stopped working.  We've been cleaning and troubleshooting, but no joy.  I would like to buy a new integrated amp or amp/ pre-amp set up.  We mostly listen to vinyl on a newer pioneer turntable but also use his old CD player and tape deck.  Combo living dining is weird shape 15 x 30 with speakers at narrow end a fair bit off walls.  Works well, but we also do not play at high volume.  Everyone in the family has pretty sensitive ears. I've read every thread about pairing amps with these speakers, but am pretty overwhelmed.  I would appreciate any advice - even if it is about how to narrow choices (tubes, ss)- and according to room size, listening habits, etc.  Please feel free point me in the direction of any good educational resources.  I googled but same thing- too much info!

I do not know much about hifi equipment, but am used to having imo a great sounding system.  I'd put my budget around $5000 if components have longevity, but if I could power decently for less of course that would be better.  And I guess if buying new, having ability to stream high quality would be a bonus. Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A nice 2 channel integrated with a phono input is what you need. You won't need close to the 75 watts that the NAD was rated, but it does not matter if you end up with something more than that. 

Than an outboard streamer like the Bluesound Node2i is vey popular and well reviewed. 

Do you run a subwoofer at all? If not, I think you would find that to be a major upgrade. I think you can be into a very nice integrated, the ability to stream and a subwoofer for under 5K

Folks like @rigma and his wife Mz Kitty would have some good ideas, and @mikebse2a3 typically has good pragmatic advice.  

A photo of your current set up (speakers in the room) would be helpful. By Monday you will have all of the information you seek (and probably more than you asked for). 

Travis

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Travis on everything he has said. I personally endorse the Bluesound Node streamer suggestion, but would go for the latest generation available (Gen 3, I believe). If you want to do a little digging, there are several threads where other members have documented their searches for new components.

With a budget of up to $5K, you have a ton of options. Fortunately, the Heresy IIIs will sound great with pretty much any quality amp, so I suspect you can find excellent options that will meet all your needs and deliver great sound for half that amount or less.

• Like 3

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Travis on everything he has said. I personally endorse the Bluesound Node streamer suggestion, but would go for the latest generation available (Gen 3, I believe). If you want to do a little digging, there are several threads where other members have documented their searches for new components.

With a budget of up to $5K, you have a ton of options. Fortunately, the Heresy IIIs will sound great with pretty much any quality amp, so I suspect you can find excellent options that will meet all your needs and deliver great sound for half that amount or less.

Thanks, I forgot there was an update, I thought it was the 2i, whatever the latest greatest thing is.

• Like 1

Why not just stick with the sound that you are used to and get a new NAD integrated amplifier.  Here are a couple that are currently available.  There are a number of vintage integrated amplifiers out there that will sound great with Heresy III's Luxman and Yamaha come to mind.  That said most of those are very old and would likely need refurbing so new would be the best choice.  I am nearby if you need help fellow Vermonter.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C368/NAD-C-368.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C388/NAD-C-388.html

• Like 1

I feel all this "match the amp to the speakers" stuff is a crock. The manufacturers could not afford to market something that had so limited of a use, and the specifications

of amps are so good that I feel our ears can't tell the difference.

In my opinion, ANY solid state amp, just like your old NAD, will be fine. And you don't have to pay the big bucks your budget allows.

Here's what I would do: buy an amp like the Yamaha A-S301, which by the way I have connected to a pair of Klipsch Heresy's and it works fine. Frzninvt's suggestions above are good as well, albeit more expensive.

Then secretly have your beloved NAD repaired and surprise your husband! Put the "placeholder" amp back in the box and hold on to it for another day.

@brrrlington, I'm known to be a vintage Luxman snob.  Sorry, not really.  Luxman produced a line R-113, R-114, R-115 and R-117 with successively more features and speaker "power".  I use R-117 with highly modified Heresy 1's from 1980 and 1984.  A Luxman R-117 in Canada goes for about $750 Canadian.  A complete refurbishment by a highly competent audio tech will cost you that much again.  For $1,500 Canadian or perhaps $1,200 USD, you get a very good receiver that has MM/MC phono and all the analog inputs you will ever need, and over the air AM/FM if you like that, AND vintage sound.  So, while the NAD is in the shop you might find a Luxman for sale, then reverse the in use / in shop when the NAD comes back.  Yamaha receivers are, I'm sure, just as good, but I have not used any.

Modern Yamaha and Luxman integrated amps will cost you more, likely, and there are certainly NADs too.  Make sure they have the "features" you want, and where possible listen before you buy or post here any specific models and folks will comment on their experiences.

Best wishes, welcome to the forum, enjoy the music.

• Like 1

I recommend getting a new amp or receiver, partly for the improved sound due to advances in technology, but also for the updated connectivity.  I was using a 2005 receiver, but wanted HDMI connections to get better sound when watching TV.  As well, the new (new when I bought it in 2016) receiver came with wi-fi, so I can operate it from my iPad or cellphone, using the free Yamaha app.  Besides all that, the receiver can get Net Radio, which is what I listen to most of the time now.  It can get stations from around the world, so you can find a selection of music and playlists that you never normally be exposed to.

A new amp/receiver/whatever will come with a warranty, plus the latest DACs, which do make an audible difference when listening to digital music, like from CDs or other optical discs.  Chances are that the Phono preamp will be better as well, so your analogue music can sound better, too.  To me, buying old gear means buying older and lower-performing technology.  It’s false economy.

On 9/24/2022 at 4:13 AM, Peter P. said:

Here's what I would do: buy an amp like the Yamaha A-S301, which by the way I have connected to a pair of Klipsch Heresy's and it works fine. Frzninvt's suggestions above are good as well, albeit more expensive.

Then secretly have your beloved NAD repaired and surprise your husband! Put the "placeholder" amp back in the box and hold on to it for another day.

That’s some consumerist thinking:  why be without music while your amplifier is being repaired?  Buy a “placeholder” amp to get you through those few weeks.  Then put it back into its box, possibly forever.  Not the best use of your money.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to buy a “keeper” amp, and take the opportunity to upgrade your system?  Then, the sick amp can be repaired and sold at your convenience.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:06 PM, brrrlington said:

We have had the Heresy IIIs for five years.  Bought to match my husband's set up from 1989.  They have been great. Unfortunately his NAD 7175pe has stopped working.   

an exceptional good pairing for the Heresy III is the Yamaha A-S1200  , this is a Brand new Old-School style 70's 80's Japanese amp made in 2022 , you're getting a high quality amp/preamp , and reliability for the next 30 years  - 90 wpc .............you can pick these up on Ebay for 2k$ , regular price is 3K$

another option if your budget is lower is the Yamaha A-S801--  900$ 

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s801/index.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363981948718?hash=item54bf03c72e%3Ag%3ATLYAAOSwPgdi4Xv8&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoCIM1gQ2ryinupriSkKD4hqnahFXKyobqER%2B0dSW8Q1n4A%2BNLWhmRj9aVfvdxUD2SjQ%2FV6Pe0SYB9Vo2cfeXtl2U5JPk36szkTbVavFrQ0kZPpIUoDAU8jlv6QVnUjYMhFDeZH8l5ppMCLXgrXlqHnAcEBOmPWb%2Fd8UbO%2BtQouh3jLPnXJrNq5sVOxyyqhGltua%2BSdnlhlFWRKEzTMo%2BWUs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_DryJbyYA&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId