Speaker settings questions.

trickson69

I re-ran the audyssey calibration test on my Denon AVR-S750Hsince I added new speakers and I have some questions.

The system set the crossovers on the speakers to the following:

Front 40Hz, Center 60Hz, Surround 40Hz, Top middle 40Hz.

It also reset the front speakers to large.

Then there are the levels settings and I wonder why they are all negative dB.

Front L.  -4.5dB

Center .  -8.0dB

Front R . -4.0dB

Surround R.  -10.5dB

Surround L.  -7.0dB

Top Middle R  -0.0dB

Top Middle L  -1.0dB

Subwoofer  -12dB

There is a secondary input channel level also that the Denon set's all to 0.0dB till you manually turn them up. 

Why all the volume control for each channel? and how come now my front speakers are not as front and center as the surrounds while in multi-Channel stereo? 

how can I get a more balanced sound from my front speakers while in muti channel? 

Can I turn the levels up and if I do how far do you suggest? 

I'm not sure how to answer your questions but some of that looks kinda peculiar if you ran Audyssey as directed. The first thing I would do is set your front speakers to small and raise the crossovers to at least 80 Hz with the exception of possibly your mains to 60 Hz. Second, if your sub trim level is -12 it appears you need to lower the volume at the sub itself (you are reaching the max there).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I'm not sure how to answer your questions but some of that looks kinda peculiar if you ran Audyssey as directed. The first thing I would do is set your front speakers to small and raise the crossovers to at least 80 Hz with the exception of possibly your mains to 60 Hz. Second, if your sub trim level is -12 it appears you need to lower the volume at the sub itself (you are reaching the max there).

Yeah I did re-set the speakers back to small. 

You have to do this after the Audyssey does it's tests.

I just do not understand why my subs always do this.

I have to turn the gain to almost off only get one tick up on the gain and it still does this.

Maybe I need a NEW AVR?

Getting kind of sick of this crap with Denon. 

I'm going to have to re-run the tests lowing the gain on my subwoofers to almost nothing.

I will give it another go.

Edited by trickson69

23 minutes ago, trickson69 said:

I'm going to have to re-run the tests lowing the gain on my subwoofers to almost nothing.

I will give it another go.

I don't know what to say/think. Surrounds and Atmos speakers appear to have a lower crossover than I would think...Also, insofar as your subs are concerned, I've read that most people get used to a bloated lower end which really makes them thump, but in turn it can drown out som of the mid frequencies of your other speakers. Dunno, but make sure you're elevating your Audyssey mic with a tripod (or if it came with one). Fwiw, I use Audyssey with an older Denon and don't know what came with yours. Good luck, but I agree something looks wrong but the other trims look okay (comparatively speaking). 

14 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I don't know what to say/think. Surrounds and Atmos speakers appear to have a lower crossover than I would think...Also, insofar as your subs are concerned, I've read that most people get used to a bloated lower end which really makes them thump, but in turn it can drown out som of the mid frequencies of your other speakers. Dunno, but make sure you're elevating your Audyssey mic with a tripod (or if it came with one). Fwiw, I use Audyssey with an older Denon and don't know what came with yours. Good luck, but I agree something looks wrong but the other trims look okay (comparatively speaking). 

Yeah, for some reason EVERY time I run the tests in audyssey it changes the speaker's size to large. 

I re-ran the tests again got the sub to read at -10dB now and I can crank-up my system now. past -20dB.

It still uses the crossover settings no matter what I have to manually change them. 

Is audyssey reliable? 

I like a lot of bass the kind that thumps. 

So, after turning the gain to only 3 lines in the indicator (Both subs same setting on gain) the sub reads at -10dB I am leaving it like that. I want more bass, so I just turned the gain back to the middle ("Halfway up") 

I re-set the speakers to small and set all crossovers to 80Hz the Klipsch have crossovers so there should be little issues there. 

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I have not progressed to Atmos yet but does anyone else crossover these speakers that low? I was wondering if it's an "atmos" thing or just wrong. 🤔

I just don't know.

I manually set them to 80Hz fronts, 90Hz center, 80Hz surround and 40Hz top middle.

This sounds as good as I can hear it sound. 

But the stuff I listed comes up about 79% of the time.

The crossover settings have never ever hit 80Hz ever in any of the millions of audyssey calibration runs I have done. NEVER. 

You know what?

It seems to me all this talk about 80Hz for a crossover setting is bullcrap! I cannot figure this out at all in my brain.

Audyssey is a CALIBRATION tool built into the AVR and they even give you a MIC. (I do not care about how calibrated that is or any crap) This is a tool that is built in and is to flawlessly calibrate one's system, so tell me this, if 80Hz is the absolute recommended setting why the F does it NOT land on that mark every time? Why does it not only miss the mark, but it blows past it.  

I have literally lost my mind.

The so-called audiophile experts all say that you have to set your speakers' crossover to 80Hz WTF? if this were the case why is it not hard locked First off and second why does Audyssey always and I MEAN ALWAY miss that magic number 80Hz? 

Someone is BS'ing me and I know it NOW!

There is NO way 80Hz is a myth and everyone needs to stop spreading this 80Hz misinformation around.

35 minutes ago, trickson69 said:

I have literally lost my mind.

I can dig it. Those Audyssey chirps drove me batty when I had to run the program consecutively. 

The so-called audiophile experts all say that you have to set your speakers' crossover to 80Hz WTF?

The reason is the human ear can detect what direction the higher frequencies come from so if you have 90 Hz+ coming from the sub it becomes directional.

if this were the case why is it not hard locked First off and second why does Audyssey always and I MEAN ALWAY miss that magic number 80Hz? 

Fwiw, for larger speakers that can go lower you can set the crossover lower (Audyssey sets my RF-7s @ 40 Hz but I bump it up to 60 Hz) but it's more taxing on your AVR. {Note: Some people prefer that and it makes their soundstage more seamless. Mine's excellent.}

Someone is BS'ing me and I know it NOW!

There is NO way 80Hz is a myth and everyone needs to stop spreading this 80Hz misinformation around

Fwiw, I posted again in your thread because I was curious if there is something different with Atmos vs Dolby PLIIz. Otoh, if someone confirms your crossovers are too low there may be something wrong with your unit or with how you're doing it....Anyone?

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. In my case just expecting to hit that 80Hz mark once would have been something, but not ONCE!  

I would hope that there is nothing wrong with my system I just got it 2 years ago. And at 165 watts it's not an easy unit to find or replace.

I am thinking that something is wrong with this so-called audyssey calibration stuff.

I heard that it doesn't do feet measurements very well and that if you run the test, you also need to make sure the thing is set to meters not feet.

WOW seems there are tons of HOLES in the calibration crap. 

So far it has 2 strikes against it.

Actually 3 as it never never never never never NEVER sets the mains or FRONT speakers to small even when I "Change it ", it still resets it to large every time I run the Audyssey calibration. 

How hard can it be to run the thing? You plug in the mic and then just follow the on-screen instructions not hard at all. 

Not sure that I personally am doing something wrong, or my system is bad what? 

Edited by trickson69

I'm not sure what's going on but Audyssey works great with our HT and  possibly we can find out what's going on with hours. First off, are you using a tripod and are all measurements being taken without boundaries influencing them? Fwiw, you want space between the Mic and everything else and being open to all speakers?