The Internet is Dying - Is It Worth Saving?

RealMarkDeneen

There's so much I'd like to say....

I'll be simple.

Look up how much more pollution and poison there is to Mother Earth from the manufacture then the disposal of those $$$$ car batteries. That is compared to a normal vehicle.

Then how far you can go????? HA!

I look DOWN on those pretty teslas now!!!

• Like 2

Using the internet to complain about the internet kind of ironic. 

But glad to be free of the fb.

Hard to look away from the internet now for any length of time.

But very thankful for the YouTube and all the music I find there delivered instantly for free.  

Without a chance YouTube video I would have never found that the Hard Rock genre has been resurrected by a group of beautiful Japanese women. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I'll be simple.

Look up how much more pollution and poison there is to Mother Earth from the manufacture then the disposal of those $$$$ car batteries. That is compared to a normal vehicle.

That’s not the company line. If it’s green, there can be no downsides. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I'll be simple.

And the windmills and solar farms only last so long, then they too are pollutants.

• Sad 1

It would be great if all those green things worked well. For instance solar panels have been touted since the early 70s. The limited efficiency those gained was wiped out by regulatory cr*^. 

@richieb you know I can't follow in lock-step:P.

Just hear the first 15 seconds:

Regarding Electric Cars

1. Annual global production of cars: 57 million (and rising)

2. Our current climate/pollution/eco-destruction problem was caused by over-production and consumption creating too much pollution.

Is it really likely that MORE production, using even rarer materials is the ANSWER, and not just an extension of the problem?

Considering that the "tipping point" for CC occured already in the 1970s, how can this idea possibly be beneficial?

A more prudent "evasive action" would be to "sunset" the production of all cars such that it approaches "replacement level" only. Use up the inventory of the cars already produced.

Deep Fakes and AI

Deep fake tech is just in its nascent phase. Imagine when it is fully deployed?

AI can already make paintings and photographs that are good enough to be compared to human efforts. Imagine when that is fully deployed?

Humans are already spending more eyeball time on screens than the physical world around the screen. Can that be a good thing?

It isn't that people won't "know" real from fake, it is that they won't bother to care.

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Regarding Electric Cars

1. Annual global production of cars: 57 million (and rising)

2. Our current climate/pollution/eco-destruction problem was caused by over-production and consumption creating too much pollution.

Is it really likely that MORE production, using even rarer materials is the ANSWER, and not just an extension of the problem?

Considering that the "tipping point" for CC occured already in the 1970s, how can this idea possibly be beneficial?

A more prudent "evasive action" would be to "sunset" the production of all cars such that it approaches "replacement level" only. Use up the inventory of the cars already produced.

Closer to 80 million.  New vehicles are 99% cleaner for common pollutants than 1970 vehicles,  so the sky isn't falling and there is no need for such 'evasive actions'.

The Internet has exponentially accelerated the spread of information and knowledge.  I couldn't imagine losing all of this.

One person's brainwashing is another's entertainment, knowledge, etc.  $1,000's for hi fi, but baseball is stupid?

If we put you in charge of the rules of the Internet, you'd just be the next arbiter in line.

It's ironic that the establishment crowd and the anti-establishment crowd seem to be equally paranoid of misuse and abuse of the Internet.  Maybe it's a healthy balance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

One of the major advantages that the Cro-Magnon humans had over the Neanderthal humans was that the Cro-Magnons formed larger social/family groups, up to 150 people, while the Neanderthals lived in smaller groups of 10-15 individuals.  The more people in a group, the more ideas, and the faster their knowledge and technology advances.  The Internet makes us a group of billions, which is why our technology is advancing so quickly.  Remember, the Internet was originally formed to allow a group of universities to share their ideas in real time.

Right now, we need all the ideas we can get, in order to get us out of the mess that the Industrial Revolution got us into.  Without the Internet, humanity, or at least civilization, would be at a greater risk than it already is.  That’s a scary thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1