The Internet is Dying - Is It Worth Saving?

RealMarkDeneen

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I left this discussion because I didn't have anything else to add and my comment wasn't meant to be political. I feel you are jumping the gun because he did respond. He knew  I was referencing the position of power and not anyone in particular. I then went on about "DNA dynasties" talking about kingships and rulers of other countries. The comment WAS meant to be taken philosophically because I DO think we have the potential for greatness (or change) which was the point.

I also feel we as Americans (as a group) can change the trajectory of where the internet is going given Mark's worries, because I don't think the entities he suggests has all the control. 

I did jump the gun and I apologize. 

For whatever reason, tried to figure it out, but haven't been able to, I didn't see that Mark had already responded to your post. I'm guessing I hit (viewing on laptop] "last page" instead of "next page" and I thought your post had not been responded to by Mark. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2022 at 11:24 AM, RealMarkDeneen said:

In the beginning....

The dreamers waxed excitedly about building global communities, democratization of everything, and opening up the world to all voices. And then hucksters and pirates moved in to use it for mass behavior modification and training the population to consume more. Then the reality of what "community" actually means set in, and the new owners didn't like it at all. Real "communities" are not like Disney fantasy villages, they are far more messy. There are lots of kinds and styles of interaction and relationships - good and bad. There are lots of noisy disagreements, bar stool conversations, ideological bantering, and too many variables to control. The "town square" no longer fit neatly into establishment values. Enter the various "clamp downs" "cram downs" "cancellations" and my favorite euphemism - "de-platforming."

All ownership eyes turned to the idea of Disneyfication of every property and every messy town square. Consider what YouTube has become from what it once was.

Is the Internet worth saving just so people can shop in their PJ's at 3:00 a.m., and hear "news of the establishment pied-pipers?"

Or should it just die off like what is happening to broadcast TV?

CONTROLLING THE NARRATIVE

If you control what people see and hear

You control them.

INFORMATION FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE

This level of control requires total information dominance and control

No contradictory or alternative information, facts or viewpoints can be viewed by the people you wish to control.

NARRATIVE CONTROL

REQUIRES 100% INFORMATION CONTROL

Censorship of the web is the result of those who run the systems and benefit the most from them, wishing to continue the total control of what you see and hear

SENSORY DEPRIVATION

Think of it as driving a car with the windows completely blacked out with paint.

And the only information you have is what you see on the TV screen (or I-Phone) controlling your decisions on

- when and where to turn, and

- when to apply the brakes or accelerator.

Then someone comes along and removes the paint from your car windows, this is what the Internet was before it was systematically censored, delisted and put inside the car with painted windows.

WHY THE HYSTERIA OVER TWITTER

Musk might remove some of the paint on the windshield, or maybe not.

3 hours ago, Bubo said:

CONTROLLING THE NARRATIVE

If you control what people see and hear

You control them.

INFORMATION FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE

This level of control requires total information dominance and control

No contradictory or alternative information, facts or viewpoints can be viewed by the people you wish to control.

NARRATIVE CONTROL

REQUIRES 100% INFORMATION CONTROL

Censorship of the web is the result of those who run the systems and benefit the most from them, wishing to continue the total control of what you see and hear

SENSORY DEPRIVATION

Think of it as driving a car with the windows completely blacked out with paint.

And the only information you have is what you see on the TV screen (or I-Phone) controlling your decisions on

- when and where to turn, and

- when to apply the brakes or accelerator.

Then someone comes along and removes the paint from your car windows, this is what the Internet was before it was systematically censored, delisted and put inside the car with painted windows.

WHY THE HYSTERIA OVER TWITTER

Musk might remove some of the paint on the windshield, or maybe not.

Musk can't and he won't.

JJK

• Like 1