which tube amp????????

Brody

I want to get into a pre-amp and tube amp but I know nothing about either. I have a Marantz 2265B and I use that to power my Cornwalls and my forte speakers and it sounds good but I think it could be better . I listen to vinyl 95% of the time I have a Marantz 6300 turntable. I am looking for advice as to where I should start and I can't spend crazy money on this. So I am just looking for a good place to start and maybe if someone knows of a system for sale. Thanks

I am surprised you have not received some suggestions. There are many tube amplifiers on Amazon among other places you could start with. What is your budget for purchasing? It would help knowing it before suggesting anything. Most retail tube amplifiers will not need a pre amp to drive them having enough gain where one is not necessary. I try to refrain from recommending a certain brand having no personal experience with any of the retail ones. All of mine are ones I built myself. 

There is a Miniwatt in the Garage Sale forum that might be right up your alley (not affiliated).

I have both a Miniwatt and a Elekit TU-8200 DX that is heavily modified.  While I can tell the different in a non-blind comparison, putting the Elekit in single-ended mode to make a Watt-for-Watt comparison in insolation if my wife swapped out amps while I was away I'd bet I couldn't tell the difference. 

Good little amp to get into tube amps.  Is it an end game amp?  Nope, but it gets you 80% there for under a C-note.  My wife currently is using mine with some RB-51 Series II for her desktop setup and has no complaints (but if she did I'd happily buy her audio gear!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It torques my jaw also to re sent out of town for a long period of time but sometimes helping other comes first. So maybe before you make nasty remarks about someones post you may engage your brain before you start to type. Its guys like you that give forums a bad name not every one has knowledge about the world of stereos but we are trying to learn by asking questions . Remember you to had no knowledge at one time also oh that is if you can remember that far back

2 minutes ago, Brody said:

It torques my jaw also to re sent out of town for a long period of time but sometimes helping other comes first. So maybe before you make nasty remarks about someones post you may engage your brain before you start to type. Its guys like you that give forums a bad name not every one has knowledge about the world of stereos but we are trying to learn by asking questions . Remember you to had no knowledge at one time also oh that is if you can remember that far back

No offense meant. Just playing off of the previous post.

I apologise...

Just now, Brody said:

Ok just thinking you being from the big bend area you might know how bad a hurricane is. I always volunteer my time and efforts to help the victims with clean up

That was more than kind of you. Did not know, of course.

Ian devastating, as you know all too well.