SS- 5Y3GT 5U4GB 5AR4 / GZ34

henry4841

7 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I have used all of them. What kind of feedback are you looking for?

I read that they increase the plate voltage. What's your experience? Any problems with using them instead of tube. That and have you experienced what Tubedepot is saying about firming up the low end. https://www.tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier  Bought mine on ebay to give it a try, $5.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/403849651359

Opps, I did not see the SS = solid state part. 

I have not used these. However, if you are going to use them, you will need a power resistor to limit your voltage because the solid state diodes do not have the internal resistance like tubes, so your voltage will go up.

A low impedance supply definitely has it's advantages. Instead of spending $9.95 plus shipping, you can make one for about $0.25 with two 1N4007 diodes.

• Like 1

You saying just like a SS rectification circuit is all it is? Never crossed my mind. Good to have young electronic guys here. I was thinking there was more to it than two diodes and a socket but you are probably right being the price is so cheap. 

Not the first time I blew $5 and shipping. Seems like a good device though for those with no or little electronic knowledge. Rectifier tubes are not cheap especially the NOS ones. I will lower the voltage with a resistor if I think there is a need. Not really sure where I am going to use it. Impulse buy. 

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

You saying just like a SS rectification circuit is all it is? Never crossed my mind. Good to have young electronic guys here. I was thinking there was more to it than two diodes and a socket but you are probably right being the price is so cheap. 

Not the first time I blew $5 and shipping. Seems like a good device though for those with no or little electronic knowledge. Rectifier tubes are not cheap especially the NOS ones. I will lower the voltage with a resistor if I think there is a need. Not really sure where I am going to use it. Impulse buy. 

That's all it is; two diodes mounted in the tube socket. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, costerdock said:

I've had good luck with the Weber GZ68 - but badluck with their WS1 - which they refunded.  They were supposed to be very similar - but my amp blew fuses with the WS1.

I'm a glass man so I prefer a nice Mullard.

An NTC thermistor is a good idea too. Depending on the circuit, you have to choose the correct one. 

9 minutes ago, costerdock said:

I bought a very nice GZ37 for 150.00 about a month ago.  I was surprised because I bought two back in 2016 for not much less.

I love tubes, but I do have limits I will pay for a given tube. I won't pay more than 30 for a tube rectifier, which limits me to everything but a 5AR4/GZ34. I simply refuse to pay more than that. Having said that, the JJ 5AR4 and Sovtek 5AR4 should work fine in most circuits. 

5 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I love tubes, but I do have limits I will pay for a given tube. I won't pay more than 30 for a tube rectifier, which limits me to everything but a 5AR4/GZ34. I simply refuse to pay more than that. Having said that, the JJ 5AR4 and Sovtek 5AR4 should work fine in most circuits. 

I've blown too many cheap ones but my amps are at a pretty damn stable point now - so the cheap ones should last (I have some Sovtek and some really nice Phillips.)   I have 3 of the GZ37s - one which is pretty dark on the inside from the last amp melt down - but it still works - it is my backup now.

Got the little gadget today and decided to pop the cap off and take a look inside. Guess what I saw? Two small diodes much like 4007's.

I would want to know how much the resistance the tube has and compensate that value with an appropriate value  resistor to reduce the voltage to the same amount as with the rectifier tube. Not something I will probably use but might work alright in a pinch. 

The voltage drop across a tube rectifier will depend on the voltage applied to the plate(s) and the current draw.  You can get an idea about this from the data sheet which shows the expected DC voltage available at the input filter cap (most equipment uses a capacitor input filter - choke input filters have different parameters).  An example is below for a 5Y3.  The voltage drop for solid state rectifiers is insignificant in high voltage applications.  There are some other considerations for the latter as well including the value of the input filter cap.

Maynard

8C258171-9322-4149-8DBF-D44DF640B69A.png

6 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The voltage drop across a tube rectifier will depend on the voltage applied to the plate(s) and the current draw.  You can get an idea about this from the data sheet which shows the expected DC voltage available at the input filter cap (most equipment uses a capacitor input filter - choke input filters have different parameters).  An example is below for a 5Y3.  The voltage drop for solid state rectifiers is insignificant in high voltage applications.  There are some other considerations for the latter as well including the value of the input filter cap.

Maynard

8C258171-9322-4149-8DBF-D44DF640B69A.png

Thanks Maynard, I looked in some tube data sheets and did not find the voltage drop of a tube rectifier listed in the data sheet specifically. 

I was disappointed in finding just a couple of diodes in a socket but for the price I think it is nice to have around just in case. Many have reported problems with the JJ GZ34 one of the least expensive rectifier tubes available. There are measures one can take in the circuits to prevent problems with the JJ but not something everyone knows or care to know. Rectifier tubes are scarce right now and the price has drastically increased of late for those NOS ones.  

this is a very circuit specific thing BUT I have tried GZ37 (an old mullard) a 5U4G (GEC), a U52 (navy white box) and a variety of GZ34s in my custom made PP 2A3 amp which was designed for GZ34 rectifiers.  I have had the U52 installed now since 2004.  when I was trying them all our listening tests my two faves were the GEC 5U4G and the government U52, they seemed to add a little weight and flesh to the low end.  YMMV, IMHO, yadda, yadaa, I fully admit I might have been imagining a difference but I wanted to share this experience in case it helps open up options for the OP.   Warm regards, Tony

• Like 1

I have several amps that use the GZ34. It makes me wonder why could they make this killer rectifier that seems to last forever but now we have trouble just making them stable. I wonder what we are missing in tube production now. I've never killed a GZ34 and don't think I've seen one dead lol... . For DIY I love the damper diodes that are slow start like the 6dm4 or the 6AX4.