CF2 xover help

DirtyErnie

Got some ~1m measurements from my CF2 last weekend. Looks and sounds like something is amiss; CD horn compensation doesn't look to be working. High treble is definitely lacking, very midrange centric sound.

I did rebuild the crossovers shortly after purchase, but there was no difference in sound. 

You can see on the plot, 3K+ drops about 6dB/octave.  High-pass series caps are a 1.75uf and an 8uf, stock values. 

Does anybody know how to flatten that out passively? Active xover rig is out of the question for a long time.

@Chief bonehead

980154431_CF2sweep1.PNG.2ed9f65524f1414db3d862325a3bfd06.png

I don’t know if the K-703 is a CD horn, but there is a lot of EQ in that network, but it’s used to smooth or pull down peaks, not boost the HF output. 

Have you swapped networks? Could also be bad seal between horn and driver. 

Also, check your work. You may have a bad part. 

Thanks, Dean.  I'll be able to pull them down in the near future for some cabinet work, will check the crossover parts while I'm in there. 

What I remember of the CF2 schematic is it's a lot more 'basic' than the CF3 and CF4; 3rd order and one LRC on both 'ways'.  Highs go through a ~1.7uf and an 8uf, I assume the 1.7 would be doing the CD horn compensation, breakpoint at 8 ohms is ~12K, 4 ohms is ~23KHz (I should check impedance on that driver). CF3&4 also have an autotransformer in 'boost' mode, which I'm assuming has to do with the 10" and 12" being higher efficiency than the 8" and 6.5" of the smaller ones.

If that's a K-703 in mine, it's definitely CD, has all the same characteristics of the bigger Klipsch modified tractrix CD horns, scaled down to ~8 3/4" x 5 9/16" with a throat for a 1" driver.

• 1 month later...

Leveraged technology against time; ran the Marantz Audyssey correction with measurements all around the room, things sound much better now.  Would still like to take care of the frequency response at the hardware level, but that can go on the 'someday' list with everything else.
Thanks.