Klf30 network

Tom Bird

I have had these klf30's for years. It was my first dip outside the RP line and is what really started me on the journey so I would like to bring them back to OEM spec. I as soon as I picked these up I purchase Crites crossovers and Titanium diaphragms from Bob. The new crossovers made a bigger difference than the diaphragms but installed them as well. I still have the original Mylar. I do believe I can get the caps but the woofer 97 uf is the one I'm having the hardest time with. Any suggestions?138396e7fc1e3a334841cd22b0d0eefe.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Bird said:

I still have the original Mylar. I do believe I can get the caps but the woofer 97 uf is the one I'm having the hardest time with. Any suggestions?

I'm sure 100uf would be just fine probably what I'd go with:

https://www.parts-express.com/electronic-parts/capacitors/metalized-polypropylene-crossover-capacitors/capacitance/100-uF

Kind of big for the PCB, and maybe better to stick with something closer to the stock part. You can parallel a 50 and a 47 electrolytic. The 100 is out of stock. A lot of stuff is out of stock right now. I waited months and months for Erse to get their act together and finally gave up.

• Like 1

I don't have the knowlage to make that change RE: what or if it would change anything. I can solder no problem. Thanks for your input

• Like 1

Kind of big for the PCB, and maybe better to stick with something closer to the stock part. You can parallel a 50 and a 47 electrolytic. The 100 is out of stock. A lot of stuff is out of stock right now. I waited months and months for Erse to get their act together and finally gave up.

I did think about that but wasn't sure if you could do that with the electrolytic. Now just to find a 50 and a 47 that match. LOL

On 10/1/2022 at 10:14 PM, Tom Bird said:

I did think about that but wasn't sure if you could do that with the electrolytic. Now just to find a 50 and a 47 that match. LOL

All capacitors have some tolerance, for bipolar electrolytic it could be 5% or 10% or even more (depends on brand and model, check datasheet). So even if you buy 100uF you can end up with 90uF or 110uF. Not sure if there is a point for investing in MKT or MKP for woofer but if you can afford it then there should be nothing wrong with this. You can also parallel electronical caps (or any other) to lower ESR. So if you combine 3x33uF you will get around 99uF and 3x less est than with single cap. If you will be lucky then with 6x33uF and precise meter you will get two equal pairs. But I would not be worry on few % differences. Drivers alone are slightly different too so anyway you never know how you will end without precise measurements, and I did not heard on any speakers that have non symmetrical crossovers.

• Like 2