Computer experts... opinion please.

Schu

I am wondering if it's time to consider buying a new desktop tower?

it's been SEVERAL years, if not a decade or more, is it time to upgrade my CPU and operating system... the computers runs perfectly right now.

1.8TB standard HD about 20% capacity.

and if so, what are the recommendations for replacement... Current is HP and I think I want to move to a super wide (41") monitor.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Haha 1

It's been a few years but I like the builds from these folks:  Silent PC | Quiet PCs

The parts they use were always top notch and their price is less than what I'd pay for the components even at discount.  

PLUS, they do all the work for me and add a warranty.  Very nice build quality and they are QUIET which is very important to me... I hate the sound of pc fans!

• Like 2

It may be time, mine is of a similar vintage (Dell) and I'm having the same thoughts. Home computers tend to last longer than your machine at work but once you get past a decade... I note that your last Windows update was 10 in 2021. My system is using 10 and I recently discovered that it cannot be be upgraded to 11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

it's been SEVERAL years, if not a decade or more, is it time to upgrade my CPU and operating system... the computers runs perfectly right now.

and if so, what are the recommendations for replacement... Current is HP and I think I want to move to a super wide (41") monitor.

Untitled-1.jpg

I am in the same boat but for a different reason.  I have a few old Dell T series machines in my business and love them.  But they are not eligible for the Windows 11 update so when they pull the plug on Win 10 I am out of luck.  I think that is late 2024 so I have my window of time [ correction, October 2025].  If you have an older machine you are likely in the same boat and can jump now or wait.

The timing is easy, Black Friday month (uhh, November) of 2024 is my target. 

• Like 1

"when they pull the plug on Win 10 I am out of luck.  I think that is late 2024 so I have my window of time [ correction, October 2025]. "

Thanks for the heads up on this. I figured the clock was ticking but hadn't heard a specific timeline. I'll most likely go with another Dell business class machine sometime in '23.

4 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

"when they pull the plug on Win 10 I am out of luck.  I think that is late 2024 so I have my window of time [ correction, October 2025]. "

Thanks for the heads up on this. I figured the clock was ticking but hadn't heard a specific timeline. I'll most likely go with another Dell business class machine sometime in '23.

Can you upgrade?  My Dells and one laptop are a no go.  Shame, I love the laptop too, bought it in 2015 and best I have ever had.  Sadly I bought a new laptop last November and turned it on once and never used it again.  I should but I really like the old one. 

My Dell is pretty old - maybe 2015 or so. When I received the last WIN 10 Update a couple months ago, I at first worried and considered a new machine. Then, I slapped myself in the head! Every app I use works perfectly fine under WIN10. Why on earth do I care about Win 11? About 99% of my use of the PC is "typing" and I think 8-cores and 32GB will handle my 35WPM pecking. Then after a little more time I discovered an amazing benefit of having a stranded OS ---  they stopped comandeering my machine for those weekly hour long updates just when I needed to get on and print something in a hurry! WOW! Finally! I have a machine that I can run to, open a doc and print it immediately! What I always dreamed an OS should do is finally here! Now, if I could only get Apple to "strand" the IOS, and MACOS, I'd be able to use those devices too.

/s

"It should be a free upgrade to Win 11 if your computer is a certain age or newer.  "

My computer does not support 11 - an age thing. I was referring to a new computer. The one I have has been very good - my first solid state drive. They make a difference.

3 hours ago, Schu said:

Untitled-1.jpg

I’d say it’s time. You have a 2nd Gen i7 and PC3 RAM. Current is like 11th Gen and PC5. I’m actually surprised Windows10 is doing well for you. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YK Thom said:

My computer does not support 11 - an age thing

Win11 is supported for 8th gen processors and newer. (Guess it is Microsoft's way to get people to buy new PC's.) However, it  can easily be installed on "older" computers also - just needs a BIOS tweak :)  https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit 

5 hours ago, Schu said:

Haha; YES. As @CWOReilly mentioned, you have a 2nd Gen i7 (2011?) and PC3 RAM AND a HD drive ... haha; horribly outdated. Even 3 year old stuff will run circles around "yours." :) 

Big IBM fan ... now Lenovo and Chinese owned, but their PC's are still very, very good and unbeatable workhorses.. For portables I recommend the X1 (or T2*0s series). For desktops I love their ThinkCentre "tiny" series. See https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/c/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F . Personally we have a M920q, M80q and a M90q. And ... I have NO problems buying these used, usually at least 50% off. Note, if you do, make sure these have a full premier "on-site" service warranty and Lenovo will repair them at your home :) (Many of these do have that warranty as they often were purchased by companies.) 

More note ... all these "tiny's" will allow for an M.2 SSD (some have slots for DUAL) AND a 2.5" SSD. Also can add a DVD player and an extension module to these. If you want to run Win11 get one with an 8th gen processor (or better), i.e i5/7-"EIGHT"***.

• Like 1

I took a look a look at my system specs

Optiplex 7010

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3475S CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz

8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have no idea what generation this is, still works fine and has yet to give me any issues. I still think a new model next year is probably worth it.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I have no idea what generation this is

3rd generation ... Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3475S. So, probably 2012 :( Haha, yes you are due for a newer PC :) 

Don't understand you guys ... latest and greatest speakers, but OLD PC's, some even with old mechanical hard drives :) Also, 8GB of RAM? Will crash browsers if you open too many tabs :( 

• Like 1