Computer experts... opinion please.

Schu

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Something along this line looks good, but I'd need WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities (which I have currently). I think we (my former employer and myself) bought the one I have in 2014. I used it for three years in the office and then had it cleaned and gifted to me. My old boss replaced all computers every three years and sent the old ones home with us afterwards.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

It should be a free upgrade to Win 11 if your computer is a certain age or newer. 

Only if your motherboard has a TPM 2 (Trusted Platform Module ver 2). They are tying system security to the hardware. Plus it requires secure boot and UEFI.

You will still be able to use Win10, but they will eventually stop providing security updates. It will sill run...

Chris, I got a Dell T5610 from one of our recycling dropoffs. My son sent me some memory for it. I bought an extra xeon and fan. Less than $100 in it. Still need to get a new system drive. Almost totally silent, will use for my DAW.

I think I have 64G of ram for it.

20211201_105837~2.jpg

• Like 1

Why a tower in the times from High End Lap tops ? Waste of energy and space . I own a LG Gram 17z90N / Intel Core 7 ( new generation ) / Win 11 / 32 GB RAM DDR4 / 2TB SSD / 2560 x1600 Screen Resolution / 178ppi / 60 Hz / Graphiccard Intel Iris XE , 17 hours accu capacity ,  absolute noiseless , magnesium case , 1.300 gram total weight only , illuminate keyboard , connect a 41" screen and you´ll be fine

lg.thumb.jpg.699fddc83e0d23fc4863b10b782d9774.jpg

9 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Then after a little more time I discovered an amazing benefit of having a stranded OS ---  they stopped comandeering my machine for those weekly hour long updates just when I needed to get on and print something in a hurry!

If you're waiting that long, your hardware is slow.  With a late, high-end laptop, updates are usually less than a few minutes.  I don't think they're weekly anymore, either.  If they are, it just proves there fast enough to when I don't notice or pay attention.

A really good machine goes for about $1,500.  Some people might demand more.

10 hours ago, YK Thom said:

It may be time, mine is of a similar vintage (Dell) and I'm having the same thoughts. Home computers tend to last longer than your machine at work but once you get past a decade... I note that your last Windows update was 10 in 2021. My system is using 10 and I recently discovered that it cannot be be upgraded to 11.

Win10 21H2 has been available, after which Microsoft switched to the yearly update schedule for the major feature updates to Win10.

22H2 will be available later this year. 
Security updates will continue to be rolled out as needed until the EOL date on 10/14/2025.

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

Only if your motherboard has a TPM 2 (Trusted Platform Module ver 2). They are tying system security to the hardware. Plus it requires secure boot and UEFI.

You will still be able to use Win10, but they will eventually stop providing security updates. It will sill run...

That is why I will have to replace them, security updates.  One of the machines has five hard drives and a built in server.  I will miss it.