Which amplifiers do you like to power KLF-30's?

Bigfootexpert

Hello, I am in the beginning process of building(Planning) my own KLF's Clones using 4 Ciare HW321 Woofers with Crites 600 Horns 55 mid driver and CT120 Tweeters. It has only been 2 years since I acquired everything😆 I am finally Itching to buy Sheets of MDF, Cabinets will be about 3cu.ft. larger that OEM cabinets

I am intrigued what fellow KLF owners have to power your KLF's. Myself, I am looking into a Set of Bob Latino's Dynaco Tube amps or some vintage Sansui eye candy. As of right now, I only have a 1974 Pioneer SX-1010 receiver at 110w x2 @8ohm. I also heard that certain amps favor certain speaker, perhaps you have experimented with different types. Cheers :emotion-22:

Edited by Bigfootexpert
  • Like 3

• Bigfootexpert changed the title to Which amplifiers do you like to power KLF-30's?
  • 1 month later...
On 10/2/2022 at 4:32 PM, Bigfootexpert said:

Hello, I am in the beginning process of building(Planning) my own KLF's Clones using 4 Ciare HW321 Woofers with Crites 600 Horns 55 mid driver and CT120 Tweeters. It has only been 2 years since I acquired everything😆 I am finally Itching to buy Sheets of MDF, Cabinets will be about 3cu.ft. larger that OEM cabinets

Sounds like a cool project would like to see a thread for the build with pictures. My brother had KLF-30's for the last 15 years or so powered them with Carver amplifiers first the A-500x then later a refurbished TFM-45 both sounded great and would rock the house no problem. I've never heard them with tubes but can't imagine they'd sound bad unless you try and push them too hard? A lot of variables when considering a power amp. good luck!

• Like 2

I've powered my 30's with many amps/pres/old receivers. My personal opinion is I would hook em to that 1010 and see if I thought it was good, bad or great. My 30's run on my Sansui 990 and 5000x and was just fantastic to listen to. I also had em on my sx980, again great, just slightly less full but very clean and articulate. I had them  hooked to an Anthem mrx700 in my HT, and again no complaints. Even my lowly old Sherwood s7100A made the 30's sound really sweet, quite a surprise. I hooked my 980 to a Parasound hca 1500a, 315watts per at 4ohms. The result was massive bass that had been hidden by the 980 alone. To end it here, you'll need to try different amp/pre to get where you want to be. But ,it's fun....

• Like 5

Tubes and Klipsch go together like peas and carrots. Especially SET tube amplifiers. With their low power output they need efficient speakers to enjoy the most linear of all the classes of amplification. The best sounding speakers deserve the best sounding amplifier. Those that equate loud with best will never understand. 

The thing about 30's...Why would someone have 30's and not be someone that plays em loud? If you don't need loud there are many speakers that would be a step up in sound quality for similar or less money.  Of course ymmv and imo.....

• Like 3

I have two pairs of 30's that I fully restored as well as fixed any cabinet issues. If you're rolling amps, tubes etc. you are just pissing in the wind if you have leaking cabinets or crossover issues with the 30's which are common problems with this particular line of Klipsch.

Once I got the 30's working properly, they do GREAT with low power, high power, medium power......as long as it's good power. They're fun to listen to with a high powered amp for loud volumes and just as satisfying (if not more) with a low powered tube amp at low volumes for critical listening. 

I have two systems in the house with 30's in each one. One system is high powered for when I want a live concert experience. The other is low powered with tubes in a fully treated room for critical listening. Both are complimented with horn loaded subs and it's fricken awesome. 

These speakers I take to the grave. 👍

• Like 4

On 11/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, Fish said:

I've powered my 30's with many amps/pres/old receivers. My personal opinion is I would hook em to that 1010 and see if I thought it was good, bad or great. My 30's run on my Sansui 990 and 5000x and was just fantastic to listen to. I also had em on my sx980, again great, just slightly less full but very clean and articulate. I had them  hooked to an Anthem mrx700 in my HT, and again no complaints. Even my lowly old Sherwood s7100A made the 30's sound really sweet, quite a surprise. I hooked my 980 to a Parasound hca 1500a, 315watts per at 4ohms. The result was massive bass that had been hidden by the 980 alone. To end it here, you'll need to try different amp/pre to get where you want to be. But ,it's fun....

Exactly .......Just because your 👂 ng volume may be 2;Watts

There is a need for reserve power for dynamics

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Why not ??

Be specific please

you cant copy  klipsch parts since klipsch is  either the main manufacturer or klipsch gives a contract to a supplier    and klipsch or the OEM  do  not  share the  tooling   with  other manufacturers or  OEM's  ,  +  Aftermarkets  do not have the sonic quality  of klipsch components , it's gonna sound different  because the result is a DIY speaker  versus a  klipsch product built by Engineers over 1-2 years of R&D  .

3 hours ago, OO1 said:

you cant copy  klipsch parts since klipsch is  either the main manufacturer or klipsch gives a contract to a supplier    and klipsch or the OEM  do  not  share the  tooling   with  other manufacturers or  OEM's  ,  +  Aftermarkets  do not have the sonic quality  of klipsch components , it's gonna sound different  because the result is a DIY speaker  versus a  klipsch product built by Engineers over 1-2 years of R&D  .

From what I heard from pretty much all the Klipsch dealers I knew over a 3 state area back when I was a manufacturers rep, the KLF line was put out pretty fast as the Epic CF didn't fare well in the market at all.  The KLF is said to have gone from drawing board to production within about a 9 month span, which is quite short.  Do the math and research it.  Who knows...the clones may sound even better.  KLF's haven't been made in over 20 years and there are no patents on them; they are just a big tall cabinet.

Randy's main point is they can't be "clones" if they are using completely different parts, and you certainly can't use the same network.

"The KLF is said to have gone from drawing board to production within about a 9 month span, which is quite short." 

K-52 and K-79 were already on hand, so all they had to do was model the box and network. 

• Thanks 1